“Overall good experience”

Garagistes
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Website is under construction. Luke Burgess is chef. e-mail is info@garagistes.com.au
Sydney
“Overall good experience”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Visited on a Wednesday evening when restaurant opened at 6-00pm. Had read about the no reservations policy so got there about 5-45pm and were only ones there at that time (could have had something to do with the cold) but there were a number of people behind us by the time the restaurant opened and people waiting for tables at about 7-00pm.

By choice sat up at the bar area which gave us a great view of the chefs cooking and preparing the dishes. Other option was to sit at a number of long share benches. On offer was a 3 or a 5 course set dinner the latter for $85 pp. There is no a la carte menu. It appeared as if you both had to have the 3 or 5 courses. We opted for the 5 courses which included a starter of venison (plus a number of other delicacies), followed by a mix of calamari and sea urchin, a corn puree with duck egg, silver trevally and a delicious mousse for dessert. Our favourites were the corn puree and dessert followed by the trevally but all of the dishes were beautifully presented, tasty and with good textures. Wine list was extensive.

Service was excellent, good spacing between dishes and waiters/waitresses explained what were in the dishes.

Good atmosphere and great being near all of the action in the kitchen.

Would have rated this restaurant higher but no reservations policy and lack of even a limited a la carte option I thought were drawbacks notwithstanding that these were known facts before we visited.

• Visited August 2013

Melbourne
“Very under awed by the Garagistes hype”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Visited last Friday whilst visiting Hobart from interstate and was very excited at the prospect as it had been recommended by people and generally reviewed strongly. Managed to get a table after an hour or more wait at its sister bar Sidecar (I’m not reviewing the wait btw, I understand the no booking policy and don’t really have complaints about this!). Well what can I say? Was very under-awed in all honesty. What is a fine concept turned out to be a bit of a damn squib in the end. I do get the idea of experimental/concept food (I recently ate at State Bird Provision in San Francisco which remains to this day one of my greatest food experiences) and the cooking techniques & presentation were of a high quality but all 5 courses just lacked flavour or any ‘wow’ factor. The tastiest item was the fried bean curd we received as a taster prior to the first course. Service was good, very attentive and waiter/waitresses very chatty and explained each dish in detail. I’m hoping it was just an off night in terms of the dish selection by head chef and the flavours/textures I tend to enjoy in a meal. We weren’t alone though – chatted to a few people afterwards who were also very under awed. If you’re after an excellent dining experience I’d try “Smolt” instead as we visited the next night and had an excellent selection of tasting plates/mains with an even better wine selection to choose from and amazing service.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank S a
Australia
“Enjoyable and interesting”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Was able to get a table @ 6 pm on Thursday night. Enjoyed the 5 course menu, with seafood a feature.
Interesting selection of imported wines.
Would visit again, although no booking policy makes planning a visit from interstate a bit of a pain

Hobart, Australia
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We attended garagiste on a sat night, showed up at 6.15, got seated at 8.40. I don't mind the wait, however we finished the 5 course set menu at 11.15, this 5 hour experience was a touch too long for me on a sat night. The food was innovative and interesting, but a couple of the dishes were hit and miss. Also does anyone else think a 3 or 5 course set menu a little lazy? What if you don't like sea urchin? Too bad. Chairs not very comfortable, group seating is fine, some interesting beers available but I'd like to see a better array of Tasmanian wines. Serving sizes are satisfactory. Value for money? Not really. Worth going once so you can form your own opinion? Maybe, just.

Sydney
“Good addition to Hobart”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I agree with some of the reviews about lack of local wines and the shared tables. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience here. We went on a Wednesday evening so it wasn't busy, tried the the 5 course meal and I loved it each dish for its clever take on some standard dishes. My partner thought some of the dishes were a bit rich but I thoroughly enjoyed each one. It was an expensive meal but a real treat and an excellent way to finish a great trip to Hobart.