“Oh wow, not.”
Review of Garagistes - CLOSED

Garagistes
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Website is under construction. Luke Burgess is chef. e-mail is info@garagistes.com.au
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was a bit nervous about coming here. The much written about long waits. The strange, challenging food. Lots of hype.

At 7:15 on a Friday night our party of six were seated without a wait! Quick service with water which was followed through with professional, friendly and helpful attention by our waiter. We had the 5 course menu and agree with other correspondents on the size of the dishes and the stunning highlight of the savoury desert. The matching wines were also well introduced and paired perfectly.

The downside remains the shared tables. For the price, I'd prefer a little more privacy. The decor is grim. And what is the story about 95% European wines on their very extensive list. Very dodgy, as who would (a) know the value (b) remember what they drank? There is absolutely no excuse for this appalling lack of faith in the local product when this is all they rave about in the food department.

I understand that this is cutting edge dining and the food was certainly interesting but I think you get more bang for your culinary buck with a night out at Me Wah in Sandy Bay. Similar pricing but added elegance. If you are in Hobart you have to try it once. But that's it.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was torn between giving Garagistes an 'average' score or 'very good'- I went with 'very good' simply because you cannot call this restaurant average.
The quality and taste of the food was excellent, what was completely surprising was how hungry our entire group was post the meal!
For dinner you have the option of a 3 or 5 course set menu. Our group chose the 3 course option simply because we preferred the dishes on that menu. It didn't occur to me for a moment that 3 courses would not be enough to eat (I wouldn't normally eat 3 courses in most of the other restaurants we frequent).
Everything was beautifully presented, delicate flavours, great local produce etc
It was a particularly cold Hobart night & the room also lacked warmth (a few coats remained on).
Raiding the food in our mini bar once we were back from (lovely but small) dinner was something I've never done before!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This exquisite restaurant is a bit out of the ordinary. They don't take reservations, but it's worth heading down to see if you can grab a seat at one of the communal tables.
The menu has two options, the 3-Course or the 5-Course. Courses are small, beautiful, and extremely fresh. Innovation is key. The day we dined, the herbs and flowers used in our first couse had been picked by the chef that morning, the vegetables had been in the ground 24 hours before, and everything was simply devine.
Highly recommended, and not overly expensive for this standard of dining.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Due to so many mixed reviews I tried Garagistes again recently but my opinion is unchanged. Would be good to see some more local wine on their drinks list, I don't mind paying $90 for a bottle for a good Tasmanian or Victorian Pinot Noir but not for average French. Food mostly fairly good, seating - stools and benches very uncomfortable. Not the sort of place you could sit for more than an hour.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Total disappointment.
Arrogant staff
Tiny portions
Only one wine from Tas and it was $110. The rest were overpriced French wines.
Overpriced and underachiever.
All in all totally unsatisfactory.