“Underwhelming”

Garagistes
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Website is under construction. Luke Burgess is chef. e-mail is info@garagistes.com.au
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Underwhelming”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After much hype and waiting for an hour and 45mins for a table we were flabbergasted at the size of the meals. In fact I would not called them meals, I would say they are tastings - perfect if you are a fairy. Not one waiter asked if we enjoyed our food or what we thought which was disappointing.
On a good note the atmosphere is fun and decor gorgeous.
If the servings were decent I may have thought differently, however even some of the dishes lacked substance and taste. Given my love of Hobart and the outstanding produce in the region, we would have been better off saving our money for the Taste and enjoying lots of meals there for what we paid at Garagistes.

• Visited December 2012

london
“Great night out”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Small but interesting menu. We loved the steamed Bruny Island oyster, the clams with XO sauce and the smoked eel with rhubarb was excellent. I would give Garageists 5 stars as we really had a great night - I love the fact that you sit on big tables - we were put next to two lovely girls from Townsville and it was lovely getting to know them. However it only rates 4 stars for a couple of reasons. One is that the wine list only contains foreign wines - I think it's fine to have a good selection of overseas wine, but what about those of us who love to try the local drops? Tasmania has some extraordinarily good wine and I'd love the sommelier to make some great selections so that we could try a few local gems. Also we had two dishes that I didn't feel were great value - the squid was $36 and it was a small portion and nothing overly special and the wagyu was $42 - again a smallish portion and I just didn't really enjoy the flavour. My partner did, but I could only taste the fat, not the actual meat. So, I would still highly recommend Garagistes for the food, the atmosphere and the service.

Sydney, Australia
“A great find and a unusual experience in Hobart”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Converted from a garage and warehouse, this exquisite restaurant provides intimate and friendly communal table dining whilst providing an elegant and sophisticated atmosphere. The menu is varied and interesting and service was very good.

The restaurant does not take bookings so be sure to come early or put your name down and have a drink next door at the Pump House.

1 Thank JasonNyilas
Launceston, Australia
“Quirky, special occasion venue”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

After hearing all the hype we needed to test it out for ourselves on our last trip to Hobart.
Great funky interior, took a little while for us to get used to sitting so close to others on a long table but once we did it was enjoyable.
Food was very unique & very tasty. Service impeccable - swift & friendly yet not intrusive. Fairly pricey but a very different experience. Loved the cheese plate for dessert!

Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

When you walk into this Restuarant, the feel is pretty chic, it's communal tables, so we are all dining like one group. Same like the food, it's all for sharing with a partner and it is really amazing. Apparently, the menu changes from time to time, but one thing you must try if it is on their menu is the waygu beef. Totally, awesome, mouth watering and just yummylicious. Do visit the place if you can and they also have great wines to go with the food!