“No Beaus and no jangles” 1 of 5 bubbles

Beaujangles
Ranked #13 of 40 Coffee & Tea in Hobart
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: www.menufest.com.au
Hobart, Australia
“No Beaus and no jangles”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

Beaujangles on the waterfront was exceptional. Whether this is a derivative of that one or another, I don't know but it was the reputation of the original that lured me to this one. In short, service was poor. As a luncheon cafe there would be plenty of angry bosses waiting for their staff if they dined here. My wife's toasted sandwich, 30 minutes coming, cold and unappertising. My lasagna, vegetarian when I ordered meat. Too late to change.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Doobasdad

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
“what a shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I remember how wonderful Beaujangles was when it first opened in Hobart in the 70s - all those decadent late night suppers after disco dancing around town... we would gather at the new caf and indulge in mouthwatering desserts and experience mountains of scrumptious icecream concoctions....how sad that this Beaujangles has no resemblance to it's ancestors. My husband and I went for lunch and ordered crab and corn quiche, soup of the day (country vegetable)
Earl grey tea and a flat white... the quiche was horrid = too long in the freezer I suspect and microwaved to death... it came with a truely nasty combo of potato salad, colelslaw, lettuce leaves - the potato bits were either spongy or not cooked and the average coleslaw was dolloped with tomato chutney - yuk ! My tea was nice = pot with leaves... so good but my poor husband's coffee was luke warm and his soup was hot celery water with a few bits of potato... no flavour... cost us over $30 and it was after this experience that we realised we should have looked at trip advisor before going into town... anyway I think Beaujangles lost their jangle = pity!

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Glenda R
Melbourne, Australia
“Good breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I enjoyed my meal. Not many vegetarian options though. I think from memory there were only two. My 3 friends were disappointed with their meals. We sat outdoors - nice atmosphere, right in the middle of Elizabeth Street mall.

• Visited December 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“super-tasty omelette”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I had scheduled in Mouth Trap on the upper level of Cat and Fiddle for this day's lunch but I went snap-happy nuts that afternoon and Mouth Trap closes at 3 so seeing as I got distracted by my enormously enjoyable photo-taking I had to find somewhere else. I wandered into Beaujangles not intending to eat there but only knowing that I wanted to have a coffee at some stage, preferably at the bar as my old love who's no longer with us used to work there and we met for coffee once at the bar in an incredibly exciting, secret rendezvous in our illicit affair. However, once met with assertive staff I allowed myself to be corralled into having lunch there, and so found myself a nice, sunlit table at the back, admittedly eavesdropping on the young couple behind me and their rather interesting conversation about local life, and decided I was lucky to get lunch at all at this hour, so I thought this was a good place to settle for. I ordered an omelette with spinach, ham, tomato and onion and on a whim, a Vienna coffee for something different. I think the game was up when I ordered that, the waiter looked at me like he thought I should join the women's basketball team when I ordered that and yes, he had my number at that point, the meal did look like a prettily-presented, grandma feminine affair when it arrived, but oh well, I didn't care and thought it all looked very pleasant. The omelette was deliciously tasty and saturated in fresh taste, all the ingredients were super-fresh, with a side-salad and it was a very generous serve, I was full til after 9pm and so put off one of my planned dinners that night which I didn't mind as it was so satisfying in that good-quality, old fashioned cafe way and scrumptiously well-made, omelettey cafe food style. Thankyou Beaujangles, you made my tastebuds dance!

Hobart, Australia
“Coffee & Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Coffee is average as the cappuccino does not have enough froth & the froth is too light. Staff are efficient. Big breakfast is good but over-priced.