“Nice view , disappointing food”

Boat House Restaurant Cornelian Bay
Ranked #48 of 614 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Right on the beach at Cornelian Bay, the Boat House occupies one of the most beautiful settings in Hobart, 5 km north of the CBD. Fabulous water views with the Tasman bridge as a backdrop, the Boat House is the perfect location for family outings to the and park, long lavish lunches, a romantic candle lit dinner for two, or any special occasion, also holding functions of up to 150 people. Recent owner since November 2013, John Demir, has 20 years experience in the restaurant industry as a chef. Now he has taken on role of front of house position as host. The contemporary Australian menu changes seasonally to encompass the freshest Tasmanian produce available.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

On the basis of good reviews we dropped in here for Friday lunch after visiting MONA. We had no booking and were a bit late for lunch but in the busy restaurant a table was available. The view was great and we got to see a lot of it as we waited forever to get our food. The chowder as an entree was good but was not served hot - just tepid. The mains arrived much later and were way over-cooked. The steak was Well-Done not Med-Rare as ordered and was very chewy. The other main was the "pan seared blue eye trevalla with leek tart, dover mussels and smokey onion sauce". The fish was overcooked and of a rubbery texture - I could not finish it.
I do not know if the problem was our late-ish arrival, but the experience was expensive and underwhelming.

1  Thank Bondi_Phil
There are newer reviews for Boat House Restaurant Cornelian Bay

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were a large group ordering from the set menu - shared various entrees, choice of 3 mains, choice of desserts. The wait staff were charming, good humored and helpful. The food was delightful and the location as twilight loomed over the Derwent River is amazing. We enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We first came to the Boat House last month when we were holidaying in Tasmania and visiting Hobart for the wooden boat festival. We have just returned to arrange a sail from Hobart to Melbourne. Again the Boat House restaurant and a return visit to MONA were the highlights of our Hobart experience. The stripey trumpeter with preserved lemon cous cous was a triumph and my wife said the salmon with a delicate Japanese inspired salad was magnificent.
I write this review this morning from their cafe / kiosk where am enjoying a good coffee and friendly service while I wait for friends.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is the best restaurant in Hobart. Hands down. I have tried most of them and the Boat House wins. The food is superb......it would sit well on a menu two price ranges above what it is.
Proper serving sizes...none of this fine dining arty farty two bean sprouts atop a piece of meat no bigger than your finger. I had the steak and what a steak it was......topped with truffle infused butter (if I had to be picky I would say the butter had only the barest hint of truffle) sitting on a ragout of mushrooms. It was fantastic and well above what we had expected for the price. We had the natural oysters for entree (highly recommend the grapefruit,mint and chilli granita topped ones) and also the venison carpaccio which was very good...rich, decadent and splashed with aged sesame oil and radish which complimented it perfectly. The service was attentive but not stifling and the servers knew their wine. The view only got better as we started just on dusk and as we ate the view progressed through to the twinkling lights of the bridge and suburbs. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Go there. Do not waste your time with all the over priced over oiled 'Steak and seafood' places......don't waste your money at Henry Jones...just cut to the chase and go here. 9/10

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had the best beet root pie ever. It wasn't even in the menu. I asked for a veg meal during a dinner . Until today, I am still thinking about it. The views were also a nice extra and goes very well with the great food. Best to reserve a table, especially during peak times.