“Birthday and christmas present from my family”
Review of Anatolia

Anatolia
Ranked #176 of 640 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I just had the most exquisite and wonderful dinner at Anatolia. I have lived so close by for many years, walked past the restaurant most days going home from work, and yet can't recall when I last ate here. What a pity, as I should have many times.

The staff so friendly, inviting, engaging. The atmosphere, the decorations, the live spanish guitar music providing an intimate dining experience.

But then there was the food. The flavours, textures, proportions simply superb.

I had the baby octopus hotpot with a side salad. Beautifully cooked, not overspiced but sufficient to impart a heady range of flavours. The salad dressing comprising Pommegranite reduction, apple vinegar with just a hint of salt. Sweet, tart, slightly savoury the perfect foil for the hotpot.

I then had the mixed grill, the potatoes with flavours of cinnamon and cloves, beautiful, the meats tender, tangy and really well cooked. The richness of the tomato sauce over the meatball, the prawn and yet more of the yummy salad. I could go on. The desert chocolate souffle, with both a lovely crust with intensely rich moist and liquid chocolate which just melted in your mouth. The icecream with a hint of lemon/apple tea sauce again a wonderful contrast to the chocolate. And you must try the apple/lemon tea, that is such an excellent balance to the desert and great way to finish of your night.

My brother and father had a range of other meals and just as per mine they too were so impressed with the quality and integrity of flavours.

It was everything we had hoped for and then some. Will I come again, most definitely.

1  Thank david m

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Anatolia is by far the best Turkish food I've had since I was actually in Turkey! we had an absolute feast of authentic Turkish meals and shared all the dishes that came out. Every meal was delicious. I highly recommend the Manti and baby octopus hot pot for entrée and for mains the lamb hot pot and the duck confeit, I didn't have any of the cutlets because my stomach was full to the brim but my friend said they were her favourite.

The restaurant itself is very cute and cosy with a fire place which is so nice after a cold day in Tassie. It makes it feel very homely. The staff are just beautiful and so welcoming, they invited us in and introduced themselves and of course a kiss on each cheek (just like they do in turkey!)

I have to say, I don't know what the other reviews are on about! There were 5 of us in our group and not one of us had a bad thing to say when we were leaving! This place is excellent! I'm sure if you know what Turkish food tastes like and the culture over there, you wont be disappointed with this restaurant!!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Came to this place with friends convinced by the reviews it will be the best Mediterranean food. Slow service, overpriced, was expecting authentic Turkish food from an authentic Turkish chef, turned out to be a French chef making Turkish food.... Definitely won't come back.

4  Thank Walid H
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a large group sharing the Anatolia banquets at $45 per head. It consisted of dips/breads, and then a platter. The platter consisted (for each person) one small chop, a rissole, a chicken kebab (4 small pieces of thigh meat) with rice and a small serving of spiced potatoes, and for dessert a baklava. The meats were mildly spiced and tasted okay and the baklava was quite dry.

The wine prices were quite reasonable. Service was quite slow.

Would I go back? I doubt it, as it was a very average dining experience.

1  Thank Ican50
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We were recently touring Tasmania with some friends from the UK. We had 4 nights in Hobart and ate at the Anatolia on two occasions. On both occasions the food was excellent. The restaurant owner was very helpful and friendly as were all the staff. It was a cold night and the atmosphere in the Anatolia was warm and cosy. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant and will certainly go back when next in Hobart.