“Deeply Affecting and Moving”

Cascades Female Factory Historic Site
Hobart Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #8 of 140 things to do in Hobart
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Australia's most significant site associated with female convicts sits in the shadow of Mount Wellington, a short distance from the Hobart CBD.Women were incarcerated here as punishment or while waiting to be assigned. With guards, nurses and babies, up to 1000 people lived here at any one time. Discover the stories of female convicts and their children on a guided tour that operate regularly throughout the day.Experience 'Her Story' - a moving and emotional 45 minute dramatised guided walking tour.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I can understand why some people find the female factory dull. The actual site is compact and basically just a floor plan. However, we found the site deeply moving and thought the installations very powerful. The simplicity of the rusty wall with words and the washing line moved us and left us in contemplative mood. They were works of art in their own right. We chose to do the self guided tour so we cannot comment on the reenactment.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We came across this on a leaflet by chance, and I cant work out why it is not more well known. Having been to alot of 'convict' museums where women are only mentioned in passing, this is a real gem. The tour is a must-do - its a really reasonable price, brings the place to life and makes it ear why they have organised the space the way it is, and most importantly gets you into the matrons house which has loads of social history and stories in it. The guide we had was extremely knowledgable, answering all manner of questions and clearly not simply reciting from a basic script. The only really minor negative is that it is clearly starved of resources to make it fulfil the potential it really has, but saying that, there is still more than enough in the little matrons cottage to spend an afternoon there before taking the ten minute walk through the gardens for a nice cold beer at the cascade brewery!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stopped here on the way to the Cascade Brewery, which is just a short walk away.

I was mainly interested in going as my great-great-great-great-grandmother was a prisoner there and gave birth to a son while there. My mum is really into genealogy and I wanted to take photos of the site for her.

But it was so disappointing, there is literally nothing there. It is just a big open patch of gravel, where they have mocked up a few bits of brick to outline where there would have been buildings. It isn't actual foundations of historic buildings. I think the perimeter wall is the only genuine thing there. I can't believe they charge entry.

2  Thank Vaughan86
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My friends and I found the reenactment very interesting. We would definitely recommend it to give you a bit of an inside into their lives. Not sure how they survived must have very strong woman.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Worth a visit, but only if you do it as part of Louisa's walk.
It makes it so worthwhile.
Takes 2 hours but you learn so much about our history, so just do it!

1  Thank MelbourneGazza