“Interesting historical site.”

Hobart Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #9 of 140 things to do in Hobart
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Australia's most significant site associated with female convicts sits in the shadow of Mount Wellington, a short distance from the Hobart CBD.Women were incarcerated here as punishment or while waiting to be assigned. With guards, nurses and babies, up to 1000 people lived here at any one time. Discover the stories of female convicts and their children on a guided tour that operate regularly throughout the day.Experience 'Her Story' - a moving and emotional 45 minute dramatised guided walking tour.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Good visuals but I would have liked a guide to assist...maybe they have them in high tourist season.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I visited on the way back from the brewery, it was about 2pm. I had trouble finding parking and wasnt sure if I could just walk into the grounds. As I walked in I was passed by a tour group of 2 people just starting the tour, I was ignored. I went to the office, there were 2 staff members, both ignored me so I perused the limited items and grabbed a few pamphlets. I was made to feel uncomfortable and left. If I had been told when the next tour was I probably would have returned based on the great reviews. First impressions stick and I didnt bother returning.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Very friendly guide, gave a great tour and was very knowledgable. We explored the whole site and heard tragic/fascinating/funny stories of the female factory and the surrounding area. So many stories and great resources from back in the day.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a week in Tasmania and the tour of the Cascades Female Factory was a highlight. What made it special for us was the insight provided by a tour guide called Michelle. She had researched the history of two of her ancestors who were prisoners there in the 1820's to 1840's. She explained the conditions in Ireland at the time, the "crimes" her ancestors committed to survive, children they had to leave behind, their journey to Hobart, the work they did in the factory, their "assignments" outside the factory, the brutality and privations they experienced in their lives. But somehow they survived, and eventually prospered. Michelle's true stories made the tour enthralling.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We wanted to do Louisa's walk but did not have enough time due to a plane departure on the day. Instead we did the shorter 45 minute 'Her Story'. We were not disappointed. The whole experience was very entertaining but also informative. The two actors who performed 'Her Story' were excellent and as they involved the audience in the story, you could imagine how it must have been for those poor convicts. It brought a tear to my eye, thinking of what my convict ancestor endured.I highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Hobart. It is a shame more people are not aware of the Cascades Female Factory site. It is only 10 mins by car from Hobart CBD and buses also stop nearby. Her Story is performed every day at 11.00am, except Xmas day and Boxing Day.The cost was $20 per adult and well worth it. They do offer a Senior's discount too.