“Nice little tea room.”

Chado-The Way of Tea
Cuisines: Japanese
“Nice little tea room.”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

If you love tea, you will be in your element here. Wide selection of teas, would recommend ordering the Dancing Fairy pot even if it is just for entertainment value. Friendly service. Musicians were also friendly and entertaining.

Victoria, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good atmosphere”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We enjoyed our bento lunch at this restaurant although the menu really didn't suit a child. Tea was superb. Atmosphere was also nice.

Visited October 2012
Hobart, Australia
“Great tea, good food, terrible shakuhachi”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Really good selection of tea (iron goddess or mercy is a fav - and its picked by monkeys - no industrial probs there) and a great place to have it served. Food is limited to vegetarian but otherwise good. Sometimes has live shakuhachi 'music' which is only marginally better than the poetry readings.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Candide57
Brisbane
“Could be so good!”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

The service here was, honestly, the worst I have ever had. Half an hour after ordering our lunch, we got our pot of tea.... 10 minutes later lunch arrived. The food was really tasty, but worth waiting 40 or so minutes for..... no. The waitress was so uninspiring and s l o w. I asked what a good accompaniment would be for my lunch as I know nothing about tea, and she said 'mmmm, I dont know...'. I wanted to try a chai tea and we had to wait another half hour for out bento boxes to be cleared. We then purchased tea as a gift for people and that in itself took another 15 mins! And not cheap either. Would I go again - maybe if there was better service and more inspiring wait staff... which is a shame as the owner is very friendly.

1 Thank MrKitty
Launceston, Australia
“Hobart's hidden treasure - wonderful Japanese tea & food + haunting shakuhachi music”
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Hobart has lots of hidden treasures - I had heard lots of good reports about a teahouse in Hobart called "Chado: The Way of Tea" and I am delighted to say that it greatly exceeded our expectations. The owner, Varuni Kulasekera, is very knowledgeable about tea and offers a wonderful range to suit all tastes. We had not realized that Chado also provides delicious Japanese lunches including the best bento box lunch I have ever experienced – includes a wonderful variety of taste treats including green tea white chocolate to finish the meal. We were lucky enough to be there when her husband (ex-Violent Femmes bassist) was playing the shakuhachi flute. The music was very haunting and soulful and this certainly added to the experience.

A very welcoming place for the single traveller or a group

5 Thank OZ-TASSIE