“Great night's sleep”

Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
An0n17
“Great night's sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

Stayed for one night. Very comfortable bed and pillows made for an excellent night's sleep. Rooms are modern, clean and are well designed, but whole hotel has a utilitarian feel. Definitely geared for the business traveller.
Some confusion between information provided on booking website (eg. website lists parking as free and it's actually $8, checkout is now 11am but hotel information book in room lists it as 10am).
Staff were very friendly and obliging. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank An0n17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

Stayed one night for business with a colleague in a King Room on level 1. This hotel opened in December 2009, so it's pretty new. Lovely fresh bed linen, nice furnishings, flat screen TV. Free internet which was great. Iron and Ironing board, Tea/Coffee facilities, mini bar, Very Very quiet.

Downstairs there is a cafe in the reception area. Breakfast is from 6:30. The staff were very warm and welcoming.

As per other reviews, the hotel are having issues with their shower screens and this was outlined in an apology letter we received at check-in with offer's of extra towels and cleaning services if required. My particular bathroom I don't believe ever had a shower screen - it appeared to be designed as a wet room, which isn't preferable as of course everything got wet and I had to use several towels to mop up. The bathroom appeared to be large enough to accommodate a bath - but there was only the shower head.

there were a few very minor niggly issues that mean very little on their own but it would be great if the hotel kept them in mind for future developments. There is no place to put your toiletries/makeup etc in the bathroom but sufficient space for a vanity or bench. I ended up using the sink as there wasn't another mirror in the room itself where I could put on my makeup. There is no full length mirror in the room. Room service is only until 9:30pm. Given Hobart seems to close down rather early this was a bit of an issue when I got back from work rather late and didn't have a dinner option.

Parking is $9 a day. This is reasonable, however each time you come and go from the carpark (which is next door) you need to have reception validate your parking card. I'm sure the hotel could organise a better system with the carpark to prevent this.

Overall I thought this was a lovely hotel. I'd stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Montville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

We stayed 4 nights in a suite on the 9th floor, and can't fault the place. The rooms were spacious, bedding really comfortable, large flat screen TVs in bedroom and lounge area, and modern and new furnishings throughout. Service was really friendly, with the staff greeting us happily on each of our comings and goings. The location is convenient, with the shopping centre an easy stroll, as are the dock region and Salamanca Markets.
The only thing we would have liked is bathrobes and slippers and the cooler nights are starting to creep in to Hobart.
Free fast internet was greatly appreciated, as we had expected to pay. It was also great to have the mini bar stocked with quality wines as reasonable prices.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark and Joanne S
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

Hotel Collins is a very welcome and wonderful addition to accommodation in Hobart. The redesign of the old office building has been tastefully done and has resulted in a very good property. The rooms are of a good size (we stayed in a Queen Hotel Club room); are comfortable and very clean; with good outlooks over Hobart. The rooms are very soundproof and we did not hear any external activity at all. It is centrally located some 250M from Sullivan's Cove and the CBD. A short walk to Salamanca Place as well. As reported there are some issues with water from the shower wetting the bathroom floor but it is being rectified and they are being very open about this. So kudos to them. We did have reason to complain about the water pressure and water temperature flactuations but I suspect these are to do with the overall water issue they are having. It didn't damper our enthusiasm for the hotel. The staff are wonderful! Each staff member we interacted with were professional, curteous and helpful. We did make mention of one staff member in particular to the General Manager who really made our stay memorable. We visit Hobart at least annually and will have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oooRoo
brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

we recently spent 4 nights at this brand new hotel in a King Room. This meant that there was a bath with shower over, as opposed to just a shower. Staff friendly and knowedgeable. Breakfast good and a fair price. Just a very short walk down to the dock, and a wee bit longer to Salamanca. Great quality bed and linen. We will be returning for sure.

1 Thank gerryandval
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2010

Stayed only one night in Feb this year. Booked direct which was as cheap as Wotif etc. A club room meant we were on a higher floor. Jenna and Stanley on Reception were so friendly and welcoming and were there each time we came in and out so it was nice to have continuity. Location is great as its an easy walk to the wharf, salamanca and the Mall.
Brand new hotel so the bathroom is great. So often the bathroom is the thing that lets the room down. Bed was fine and the room is nicely decorated with an ipod clock radio. A little street noise but nothing too bad.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Collins from 30/01 to 02/02. We booked our 3 nights accommodation from their official website and paid AUD$377 for a Queen Hotel Room. When we arrived, the very nice guy at the reception told us they have upgraded us to a Hotel Club Room. We got room 803 which is directly facing Mt Wellington. I don’t know if it was because we requested a room at higher level with Mt Wellington view so they decided to upgrade us.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I was happy with the hotel. I agree with other reviews here re the positives:

- Everything in the hotel is new, modern and clean! Every time I walked into the lift, I could smell it’s a new hotel. The Hotel Club Room we got is spacious with plenty of room to store luggage and walk around. We had no issue at all using the air-con or hot water. We didn’t use the phone at all so can’t comment on that.

- What I liked most about our room is that there is a sofa bench thing (I’m not sure how you call it) at the end of the bed. So we could actually throw clothes, socks, bags, newspapers onto it without making the bed messy.

- The complimentary internet was great – no issue with connection and the service was stable.

- Location is great. You can walk to the Salamanca Place in 10-15 min. The hospital is right opposite the hotel.

- They do have a nice restaurant downstairs. We tried their breakfast before we checked out and we enjoyed it. The food was nice. I loved my omelette ham, cheese & tomato. The service was good too. Most importantly, it was quiet and relaxing. I liked being able to enjoy my cup of hot chocolate next to the window and see all the busy city people walking by.

I’ve noticed that they’ve addressed some of the issues that have been raised by people on Tripadvisor. For example:

- They have changed the checkout time from 1000 to 1100
- They now have breakfast room service with breakfast menu in the room
- The staff that we’ve talked to were not only very knowledgable, but also friendly and helpful. They have provided us directions to places we wanted to go and suggestions for where we could buy souvenirs.

There were a few little things that I think they could improve to perfect the guest experience:

The shower screen is a bit too small (as noted by one of the reviews here) and it’s easy to get the bathroom floor all flooded if you are not careful. However, this wasn’t a big issue for me as we used the bathroom mat provided so we didn’t get the floor wet.
The carpark issue – If you use the Market Place Carpark, yes you do need to validate the ticket at the reception everytime before you go out. However, if you are just stopping by for a short period of time, you can just park on the driveway of Budgie (the store next to the hotel) so you can avoid having to validate your ticket.

TV channels – I’d be even happier if they had more cable channels to watch. They have 5 movie channels, but there’s no news channels like CNN or BBC and no sports or documentary channels either. But again, I don’t think this would be a major issue for anyone as most people come to Hobart for holiday and you won’t be spending too much time in the hotel anyway. I’m sure you can live without your favourite channels for a few days can’t you?

I’d definitely recommend this hotel to people who like simple, modern hotels.

1 Thank waterlover616