“Good choice for the family”

Mantra Collins Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I usually have my doubts about staying in 'independent' hotels. I like my Accor, my InterContinentals, and I wasn't sure how this little Hotel-that-could would compare with the 'big boys'. The short answer: It excelled.

We had an apartment on the upper levels of the hotel, and with Woolworths LESS THAN A BLOCK AWAY we managed to get the family's food together for the day with the minimum of fuss (the service at Woolies, however, was another story - fix the escalator, people!).

My only criticism focuses on the ducted heating, which feeds into the living area of the apartment, but there was no duct in the bedroom, meaning our first night was spent feeling the brunt of the chilly Hobart nights. A quick chat with the front desk staff the next morning meant that we were given an abundance of blankets and even a floor heater for the bedroom - all with a smile, heartfelt apologies, and a general warm-and-fuzzy feeling. If you're a bit temperature-sensitive, best have a quick chat to the team before climbing into bed on your first night.

Room Tip: Apartments are an excellent choice
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our 11 month old, in a one bedroom apartment. The kitchen was well
Equipped and had everything we needed. We had a portacot in the room for our son but there was still plenty of room. The staff were very accommodating and pleasant and the rooms were spotless and serviced every day.
We parked the car in the multi storey parking just behing the hotel, which we were expecting to pay $15 for, but the most we ever paid was $12.50 on one day but most of the time it was $8.50.
The hotel is in walking distance to pretty much everything. There is a Woolworths just around the corner. And, for a really great meal there is the Hope and Anchor which does bar meals for $10 and they were brilliant. It is less than 200 metres away.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The location is quite good, and I would stay here if nothing else is available in the area. The room was OK but nothing special and so was everything else. Tobacco smell in the room was the worst bit, but that happens in many hotels. The staff was helpful and told us about the area. My preference though would be to stay elsewhere with better rooms.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Have stayed here a few times while on business. It's a very clean and convenient hotel located right in the city. The rooms are small but size able for a business traveller. Would stay here again. Staff are really friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The hotel, like most hotels in Hobart doesn't have a big grand entrance like some of the hotels in Sydney do but the serviced 1 bedroom fully contained apartment we stayed in didn't disappoint. It was new, tastefully furnished and spotless. We had free Wi-Fi and the apartment was serviced daily which is really important to me when I'm on holidays. As a mother I don't want to be cleaning up while I'm holidaying but at the same time I don't want to be living in a mess. Each time we left for the day we'd come back in the evening and the room was just as spotless as when we first arrived. The only reason why I didn't give this place five stars is because of the parking. If your the kind that don't hire cars while holidaying then this place would be 5 stars for you but if you do it can be a bit of a pain. There's a few minutes of free parking at the front but otherwise you have to wait until the evening to get free parking or park at the nearby Wollies and pay. It's a bit of a walk if you have kids but if your just a couple it's not too big a deal.

We also had two kids with us and they didn't charge us for them. Some other places we called charge per child even if you don't need the extra bedding. So that was nice of them.

Overall I highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My partner and I shared a very comfortable night here, It was a corner executive apartment with floor to ceiling windows and plenty of space. The room was modern and comfortable with comfy king size bed, with nice neutral decor. All in good repair and clean. Good walk in shower. It is within easy walking distance to Salamanca market, Sullivans Cove, Museum, Botanic Gardens and the city shops . Lovely friendly desk staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the executive corner apartment and it was very good value in comparison with other room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Great hotel, close to everything in Hobart; refurbished and modernised, very good rooms, excellent restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Walking distance to city centre, the docks, museums, Mawsons Replica Huts etc etc. Good value for business and for short stays.

Room Tip: There are 2 room suites but also expansive larger traditional rooms; a very good meeting room on 1st...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business