“Great hotel, good location”

Mantra Collins Hotel
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel, good location”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed in a twin room on the 5th floor overlooking Mount Wellington. The room was a big enough size, with tv, fridge, tea, coffee, hairdryer, iron etc...
Nice clean bathroom.
The staff was really nice and accomodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Sydney
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hotel Collins in Hobart for a business trip, and was pleasantly surprised. Other colleagues were staying around the corner at the Grand Chancellor as it was recommended for our conference guests, but I didn't feel like paying close to $200 a night. I paid about $140 per night here and was about a 2 minute walk from the other hotel.
The staff were great. I arrived just before lunch knowing that my room probably wouldn't be ready at that time, and I was right, but the reception staff were happy to look after my bags and took my number to message me when the room was ready. It was only about a half hour later they texted me. When I arrived back a couple of hours later, my bags had already been taken to my room.
The room was spacious, neat, clean and well appointed. the view wasn't much but I wasn't worried. Great sized shower and very comfy bed. I am picky with beds in hotels due to back issues, but this was superb. Every staff member I encountered during my stay was very friendly and couldn't do enough for you.
The food at the breakfast buffet was great and they made a mean hot chocolate. Upon departure there were issues printing my receipt, so they emailed it to me as I stood at the counter. I was also told to wait in the business centre while I waited for the taxi they called for me. The cabby even came into reception and carried my bags to the car. That's another thing I have found in Hobart. Every taxi driver I have encountered has been great. Very friendly, knew where they were going and helped with the bags.
I will definitely be staying here on my next trip to the apple isle. The hotel is very close to the main mall in town and is only a couple of minutes walk to the docks. Its also right behind the museum and steps away from a great takeaway at "the budgie smugglers".

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony C
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Collins for business and couldn't fault the location, rooms and meals. We were particularly impressed by every staff member we dealt with, from the friendly and helpful front desk staff to the people attending to our rooms, but most of all the staff of the restaurant. We had breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks at the restaurant at various times during our visit and each time, were impressed by the positive attitude of the staff and their willingness to assist in any way possible. Their enthusiasm and energy was very impressive and each person went out of their way to chat with us and make us feel welcome. The free WiFi in the rooms was another bonus. We will definitely return to Hotel Collins.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located in central Hobart. Room was large and clean with a kitchenette and separate bedroom and siting area. I appreciated the free wifi, which, along with a reasonable room rate, made this hotel feel like a good value.

The only difficulty I had was with parking. I arrived on a weekday morning, and had to get help from the parking attendant as the lot was full. It was much easier to find a spot during the weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

its a small quite nice hotel right in the middle of city. Great location, nice modern designed inside the room, clean nice rooms. 2mins walk to the wharf where you can buy the fresh seafood meals(where the famous Mures is and other FNC shops), 2 mins walk to the city center, very close to a singaporian restaurant and Dome cafe where just 1 min away across the traffic light. They also have room dinning and a small cafe downstairs. I didnt get a chance to dinning inside the hotel. price seems is pretty good value.

I paid 565 for 5 nights which is pretty good price for city hotel.

The down side of it is the apperance of the hotel, when u see it outside. This hotel label is not very appealing as inside. Its a old building maybe they not able to do it as the requirements of the govertment.

Overall, I really like this hotel.

BTW, i didnt have chance to go to the swiming pool or Gym, but I dont want to put down the points of the overall, so i gave "very good".

Room Tip: Just read more advisor from travellers and see the pictures see if you like room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Collins on the 11th and 12th of July for my wife's 40th birthday. I wanted to take her to MONA, and Collins was listed on their website. It's a great place for the price. Rooms have floor to ceiling windows looking out to Mt Wellington, which was snow-capped when we were there. The thing that made this stay so special was the service. It started with Felicity on the front desk, giving me advice on things to do and see in Hobart, to Catherine (I think) in the restaurant remembering how I liked my coffee. It's the little things. They also gave us a box of cookies and bottle of wine for my wife's birthday. Their knowledge of places to go and dinner options were great also. Breakfast at their restaurant was great too. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Very clean, and new hotel.

Had no real noise issues and we were located on the Bike Pub side - Only noise was from the loudspeaker in the carpark.

Parking is a bit of a pain, its in an adjoining multi story car park, and I think is costly if you take your car in and out.

Reception was friendly and helpful. Did not eat in the downstairs restaurant as there are so many wonderful places down in Salamanca.

Only gripes are that the shower cap was tiny and did not even fit on my head, and was not replaced during our stay - I threw it out after the first night. And there was a lot a human hair in the bathroom - on walls and ceiling.... which makes me think they clean the walls and ceiling with the mop used for the floor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends