“Hotel Collins - Heaps good!”

Mantra Collins Hotel
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
“Hotel Collins - Heaps good!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Upon entering, we were informed that we had received an upgrade into an apartment room - not a bad first impression!
Directions on how to get to the required amenities were given efficiently and concisely.

The room was clean, neat and well maintained throughout the stay.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Kirstthefirst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

For its price, I had what I needed in a compact room. I stayed there from Wed to Sun. All nights were quiet with the exception of Fri and Sat. I was woken up at 11 pm and stayed up till 12:10 am due to loud band music from pub closeby on Sat. The receptionist told me this did not happen usually. I found this hard to believe. On this note, it pays to double check with the hotel before you book. The location is fantastic for both going to the Wharf area or city centre. Info Centre 5 min down the road.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Advisor168
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We really enjoyed this hotel. Not too big or too small, just right. The rooms are modern and the staff are very helpful and friendly. We liked the (smallish)foyer, restaurant and bar area and there's free wifi there too.

It's very convenient to the city and walking distance to Salamanca without being too noisy or busy. We will definitely come back next time we're in Hobart.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kylie M
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 15, 2012

A good solid three stars for location, super helpful staff and HUGE rooms with a well-stocked kitchenette and living room area. Free Wi-Fi earns the extra star. The Collins is a short stroll to The Waterfront, Salamanca and almost anywhere in central Hobart.

It feels more like an independent hotel with a modern feel and a lot of heart, rather than a boutique hotel because there is not a lot of character. They have a nice little cafe to the right of the lobby and there are ample options for food and coffee nearby.

Since my suite was directly above said cafe, it always smelled like what was cooking below. Not necessarily bad, but not something I'm used to. My floor also smelled of cleaning product so between the scent of sterility that greeted me upon exiting the lift, and the smell of the dinner special permeating into my room, my stay at The Collins was an olfactory journey that I wasn't expecting.

All that said, I have no complaints. The rate was reasonable, the location great as I said and my room big and comfortable. Of all the places I stayed at during this trip to Australia, The Collins is the ONLY hotel that had an iPod dock on the radio in my bedroom so well done on that. The staff was also helpful in making sure I caught my airport bus for my flight back to The States.

As an FYI, the hotel rates at the carpark behind the hotel are VERY reasonable and it is secure. If you have a car, don't hesitate to park it here.

So to sum up, good value at Hotel Collins. Not perfect, but there are a lot of pluses to make it worth staying here

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Eric R
Bathurst
Reviewed December 13, 2012

It was only overnight, but a great location. The room was very fresh, modern and clean. The staff were great on the phone for booking and helpful while I was there - Thanks.

It was quite (Wed night) and breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Call them direct for help.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank amashman
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel pretty much in the Hobart city central near the harbour. We stayed in the two room connected. Very very pleased, fully equipped kitchen, clean and spotless shower in each room. Eventhough the bed bit hard, no problem, extra blanket to put it underneath the bedsheet is available. Comfortable 4 big pillows in each bed. Fully recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sandy-lnhl
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We ran into the same problem another recent reviewer experienced - noise from the clubs near the hotel. If you stay here on a Friday or Saturday night, don't expect to get much sleep. Because of the noise and management's indifference we can't recommend this hotel to you.

The sound of revving motorcycles was bad enough, but we were stuck with a room directly above a club where the music was at ear-numbing levels until after midnight. If you'll excuse the pun, our comments to hotel management about the noise fell on deaf ears.

On a previous visit to Hobart we stayed near the airport at the Quality Hotel (see my review from April of 2011). It was OK, but this trip we decided we wanted to stay in town and we based our choice largely on the positive TripAdvisor reviews

Make no mistake, the hotel itself is nice and our 1 bedroom "apartment" room was clean and well-furnished. The location was very convenient, and we had an easy walk to the Salamanca weekend market. The nearby (paid) parking was not difficult to access. Overall, the physical aspects of this hotel are fine, if a bit spendy.

We're not sure where we'll stay the next time we visit Hobart, but we do know that while we like the convenience of staying in the CBD area, we won't be returning to this hotel but rather will try one of the other top-rated Hobart hotels.

Room Tip: When you check in, specifically ask for a room as high up as possible and on the end of the hotel as...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family