“Great views and a fun ride back to Hobart”

Mt Wellington Descent Bike Ride
$92.81*
Small-Group Day Trip from Hobart to Bruny Island
Ranked #13 of 51 Outdoor Activities in Hobart
More attraction details
Owner description: Mt Wellington Descent is a fully guided 3 hour tour including a 21km downhill bike ride. Transport to the summit of the mountain is part of the tour price as well as hotel pick up, professional guides, support van, a mountain bike, helmet and lots of fun rolling back down again right to the waterfront!
Sydney, Australia
“Great views and a fun ride back to Hobart”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I enjoyed this activity as it gave me a great opportunity to see the views of Hobart from the summitt of Mt Wellington and then ride the 21kms back down the mountain to the city. This ride was really enjoyable as it was all downhill so not too hard on the body. I dont cycle often so was not sure what to expect but found I could ride at my own pace and I even did the off road bit which was a bonus. My Husband and 14 year old son also did it as well. The guides Andy and Chantelle were very helpfull and informative. It was fun and I was glad we did this as part of our time in Hobart

Visited April 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Delta, B.C.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“I am lucky to be alive - you might not be so lucky.”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

In March 2011, my husband and I joined a vanfull of riders for the Mt Wellington Descent. I have been cycling for pleasure all of my life and consider myself a good rider. It sounded like a great experience and we were both excited to take part. The write-up for the tour suggests that riders should be at least 8 years old, so I didn't expect it to be dangerous. On the drive up the mountain, we were asked to sign waivers, which everyone did. You never think that anything will ever happen to you. About 10 minutes into the ride, I suffered a serious fall, which rendered me unconcious. I was rushed by ambulance to Hobart General Hospital, where I underwent 5 hours of surgery. I suffered bleeding to the brain, a broken jaw, broken orbital bones and multiple facial fractures. I spent 4 days in intensive care, and woke up wondering where I was, as I had and still have no memory whatsoever of what happened to me. It could have been the brakes, the road, the wind. I'll never know. Doctors said that I was lucky to be alive. Thank God that we had good travel insurance. 2 weeks later I was able to fly back to Canada where I began months of recovery and medical treatments. . It's been a year and I still suffer from the fall, and remnants of the injury will last the rest of my life.
I had no contact from the Mt Wellington Descent personnel asking how I managed and if I was even alive. We had to ask for our $150 back as it wasn't even offered. I recently contacted Mt. Wellington Descent and spoke to Andrew, enquiring about some kind of compensation from them to help with ongoing dental and medical expenses that are a direct result of the accident. Andrew said 'you signed a waiver so we hold no responsibility for your fall'. Their insurance company will not even allow me to make a claim.
It is clear that Mt Wellington Descent takes no accountability or responsibility for anything that happens to you while on their tour.
I would never take a child on this tour and would suggest anyone going thinks very carefully before doing so.
If you're comfortable taking the risk, it's your choice, but I felt it necessary to share my story so that others can be better informed and prepared for the worst.

Visited May 2011
18 Thank MLG17
Cairns, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great- an enjoyable morning”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Went up the mountain on the bus and the guides were informative about local history sites as we made our way up the mountain. Unfortunately there was cloud everywhere so we didn't get a view.
Rug up if you go must get freezing at the top.
I think most would think that this is just for the highly adventurous however you make your way down at your own rate so don't be discouraged by think its only for the extreme just go do it. (As long as you know where the brakes are lol)
I actually enjoyed the ride back on the flatter areas through Hobart.
I have seen comments of it being expensive and it may seem like that initially but seriously you have a bus and 2 guides that need to make a living. If you think its too much hire a bike and ride up the mountain...it will seem bloody cheap by the time you get to the top.
Only suggestion to management would be maybe to mic up the driver so we can hear him better as he gives us a bit of commentary as I found this very informative.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank JackandNewell
Darwin, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Good fun, but too expensive”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We were very lucky as our bike descent happened to be on the clearest, sunniest day all week! We met everyone at the Brooke Street Pier, got loaded into a van. Our guides, Andrew and Sally drove us up the mountain where we got about 5 minutes to look around before we were fitted with bikes, helmets, gloves and a hi-vis vest. They also gave us a safety briefing at this time. I would have liked a bit more time to look around and take pictures as 5 minutes was not nearly enough.
Andrew drove the van while Sally rode a bike with us. It was great fun, really, I just thought (afterwards) that $75 per person was a bit much for what we got!
It took about an hour and a half to ride back down to Hobart, it is very easy, mostly down hill, no fitness required. It is handy if you're comfortable on a bike as we got up to 46KM/hr!!
About an hour into the trip, one of the people in our group had her back wheel come off the bike, just like that! Sally was great and swapped bikes with the affected girl immediately and rode it back to the van. Andrew on the other hand was incredulous and asked the girl something along the lines of 'what did you do to it??' I thought this was very off-putting, as they promise the customers safe equipment. If she had fallen because of this, and hurt herself, she could have sued!! Anyway, this was my take on it all.
We also noticed that some of the information given on the ride up (like names of areas and on UNESCO sites, was wrong. It is nice to get background information on touristy things, but please check your facts! You're a tour operator!!!
A great morning out, it is thrilling to ride a bike downhill at these speeds, but too expensive in my opinion!

Visited January 2012
Williamstown, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Hobart adventure”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

A really fantastic way to spend a morning or afternoon (about 3 hours) in Hobart. Guides Andy and Chantelle were brilliant, ride was very safe but as exciting as you wanted to make it, with options for the less experienced or more nervous riders. Lots of interesting information provided along the way.