“I feel sorry for the kitchen staff”

Rockwall Bar and Grill
Ranked #12 of 614 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We arrived at the restaurant When it opened for dinner, there were 5 of us. We ordered our drinks when the wait staff finally came to the table. They went and got our drink order and when they delivered it it was only half of what we wanted so they went back and got the rest and got it wrong. They bought out drinks that we didn't order. They never gave us table water after we had asked for it. When we ordered the drinks we asked for bread to be bought to the table as entre. It didn't arrive. We had been sitting at the table about 50mins by this stage. We all believe they forgot about us...When the order was taken I ordered the gnocci and it was the last to come out, about 10/15 mins later when the steaks made it out 1st. We couldn't get any of the wait staff to look at us. One of the meals had the sauce missed off which we mentioned when they gave me my meal and it took them another 15mins to bring it out. That was when the bread came out that we ordered when we 1st sat down. The staff cleared our plates and walked off. We had been there 2 1/2 hours by then. One of us tried to get another wait staff's attention so that we could get coffee etc. they took 10mins to come back. We got 4 hot drinks within minutes but I didn't get mine till the others had finished. We just went to the counter to pay our bill where the extra drinks they tried to give us were added on. We were there for over 3 hours! The staff were just not interested and wouldn't give any eye contact. It is a shame as the food was actually very nice. The establishment could do with a review of their organisation skills and customer awareness.

2  Thank Aayla
There are newer reviews for Rockwall Bar and Grill

Reviewed April 11, 2010

Impersonal service
Sausages to dry served without enough sauce and Onion
Potato mash w/o salt - a culinary sin
Burger too dry / too hot (Microwave?) - burned my mouth / no taste
comfortable atmosphere

1  Thank FranjoTas
Reviewed March 23, 2010

This was my second time at Rockwall, and again I had a hard time choosing what to eat, it all sounds amazing. The Barassi steak was perfect - tender, juicy and oozing cheese!

My only criticisms are that the wine list could have featured more Tassie wines, and more options 'by the glass'. Also there was a bit of a wait between entree and main.

Reviewed February 27, 2010

We arrived at Rockwall (dined in Jan '10) and were immediately sized up by the officious 'hostess' behind the bar. As we didn't have a reservation we were told to 'sit' and then not approached again for at least 5-10 minutes. I eventually enquired whether we were going to get a table or not (it wasn't an issue if we couldn't I just wanted to know so we could go elsewhere!). "You don't have a reservation, normally people are good enough to ring ahead and book" I was told curtly. Resisting the urge to throttle the women (were with mates and just wanting a good night out with a good steak), we were then told "But it's alright, I have managed to get a table for you".
We were then sat down, menued and ignored for 30 minutes. Ordered food, drinks and then waited another 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive. The food arrived another 45 minutes later, and my Barassi steak (which was written on the menu as being pocketed with blue cheese), came pocketed with Oysters. I pointed this out to a waitress who told me "Well aren't you lucky".
Enough said, I left my steak, finished my drink, my friend left his overdone steak and we got up. I stood at the bar waiting for someone to come over so we could just pay and get out, was waiting for 15 minutes. I eventually left enough cash to pay for the food, and my business card with a note inviting them to call me to talk about this.
Haven't heard anything - and will definantly not be back.

Mr Barassi - if you read this - please do something about this restaurant as it just isn't good enough, a shocking thing to put your name too.

9  Thank servation
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Rockwall is a nicely laid out restaurant in Salamanca, the tourist hub of Hobart. Make sure you ask for a table right at the back of the restaurant where the view of its eponymous backdrop is dramatic.

Food was generally good to very good, although there were touches where the kitchen needed a reprimand. An excellent entree of rabbit pie featuring an absolutely delicious filling was spoiled by an overcooked (and slightly burned) pastry case. That was the only slightly sour note in an otherwise very good meal. Other dishes were innovative, tasty and very well presented. Rockwall has a very good wine list at quite reasonable prices. Service from a waitress who looked far too young to have any real experience was attentive, pleasant and very, very professional.

Rockwall is not cheap but nor is it overly expensive. For the quality of food and service, we felt it was reasonably good value. The small shortcomings of the kitchen were almost completely overcome by the pleasant, high quality service, the convenient location and the picturesque backdrop behind the restaurant's floor to ceiling glass rear wall.