“Totally Enjoyable Night”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Totally Enjoyable Night”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We ate at Rockwall , Saturday night . We were visiting Hobart for the first time (two nights) and were enticed in by the menu selection . We found everything to be of a very high standard . Garry Baker (the owner) was an entertaining host and looked after us from the outset . The ambiance of the restaurant was good ,and the food served to us through out the night of consistantly high quality . We ordered the tempura prawns and crispy skin pork belly for entree - lovely flavoured pork and very tasty, light , scrumptious tempura. We both had steak (rib eye and fillet mignon) which were melt in the mouth and perfectly cooked . To finish we shared a chocolate fondant which was an absolute delight . We left feeling we had done very well discovering Rockwall , and would definately return there again when we choose to return to Hobart .

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, New Mexico
“Such an unfortunate experience”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The evening started off so well. A delightful waitress, pleasant and helpful. Our appetizers were delicious: I had the rock lobster pâté, my husband ordered the trifecta mixed dozen oyster platter. I ordered the fish of the day (blue eye trevalla?) grilled, and my husband ordered the Tempura Prawns and a Caesar Salad. Sadly, my fish was so over-cooked that it was bone dry and curling up at the edges. The accompanying potato and chive rosti was delicious. My husband's prawns and salad were excellent. When we informed the waitress about the fish, she snatched up the plate and took it away. We waited. In the meantime my husband finished his meal. We continued to wait but finally decided to ask for the check rather than eat separately. A clear change of attitude from the wait staff, no eye contact, no more banter, no apology. We were not charged for the fish, but were definitely made to feel as if we were in the wrong for complaining. The food at Rockwall's is very good, the atmosphere is attractive, friendly. Too bad that we won't return to a place that does not "get it". Mistakes happen, but they should remember that they are working for the customer.

2 Thank Linda C
Adelaide, Australia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I booked 4 weeks in advance for my partner's birthday, travelling down from Adelaide, stating it was for a special occasion and could we get a table in a romantic spot for 2. I was assured this wasn't an issue.
When we arrived for our dinner, we were placed in the more casual section, and when querying about the nicer part of the restaurant were told some groups had booked in and taken that whole area.
As the restaurant filled up we began to feel like sardines, being packed in to a small spot with all the other couples.
It was extremely loud, hard to hold a conversation, and we felt rushed the whole time.
The food was okay, but have had better all over Tasmania (and in Adelaide). Certainly nothing to rave about.
We left feeling very disappointed and I feel that I did not give my partner the birthday experience he deserved. We certainly would not put Rockwall on my to-do list.

2 Thank LonnyLee
Hobart, Australia
“Perfect for a special occasion”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We visited Rockwall on a busy Saturday night. There were 8 in our party, and we were treated to exceptional service from the moment we arrived. Whilst the menu is certainly up there in price, ALL our meals were cooked to perfection, and all 8 arrived within minutes of each other, a first EVER in my experience of large group dining on such a busy night! Desserts $13, but to die for!!!

• Visited October 2013
Hobart, Australia
“Fine if you want steak”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you don't want steak, or for that matter don't want meat, then probably don't bother. The restaurant decor, ambiance and staff were lovely. But, for the prices being charged and what the restaurant is aspiring to be...they fell far short. Fish cooked and dry, sides were burnt, heating insufficient and generally cold, and service was content to leave diners without drinks or dessert menus for 20 minutes plus. For a restaurant charging half the amount, that wouldn't be a problem, but for what Rowckwall are appear to be aiming for, I would expect something more. AVOID.

• Visited October 2013