“How soon can I go again?”

Rockwall Bar and Grill
Ranked #13 of 594 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hobart
“How soon can I go again?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Husband and I went here on a Friday night after I finished work. I booked a day or two before.

It was really busy and as mentioned in a couple of the other reviews it was a bit noisy. I liked our spot close to the front and the kitchen, but it's probably not the place for a romantic dinner.

I was very tempted to have a steak but in the end I chose the twice-cooked duck with orange pepper sauce. Husband chose the Cape Grim rib eye (400-500g) from the specials board. We weren't sure how big the portions would be so we also ordered a rocket, pear and parmesean salad as well.

My duck turned out to be a whole leg quarter plus an extra drumstick. It was served with a decent amount of mash and a few greens. It was lovely and tender, really delicious. I didn't really notice the sauce being particularly orange-y but it was very tasty.

The rib eye was absolutely massive (around 2 inches thick!), and cooked to perfection - medium rare. Crispy and charred on the outside, pink and tender in the middle. It was served with some small roasted potatoes and a few greens.

They were both pretty big, meaty serves and we didn't really need the salad, but it was nice to have some greenery to break up the meat. The rocket, pear and parmesan salad (dressed with balsamic vinegar) was delicious, and somehow the rocket was tastier and less peppery than most store-bought rocket.

We both really enjoyed our meals and were so full at the end we couldn't have fitted anything else in.

It's certainly not the cheapest restaurant around (and I do love a cheap and cheerful meal too) but in comparison to the other steak restaurants around (especially the Ball & Chain a few doors down from Rockwall) I think it's worth the occasional expense.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
“Very good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Really good food and service but a little pricey - however you should expect that due to its location. I thought they had a good selection of Tasmanian produce to show off and do it well. Would definitely go back. Apparently owned by Ron Barrassi (hence one of the dishes) and an ex Geelong player who is there each night. Both he and his partner will come and have a chat to see how you liked the meal. A bit noisy but overall a good night out. Also close to the bars etc along Salamanca strip.

Melbourne, Australia
“Wish I could've gone back the next day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Best seafood chowder I've ever had!! I will be returning to Hobart just for another bowl of that - fresh seafood morsels perfectly cooked in a scrumptious creamy soup. Both the steaks were amazingly cooked and seasoned. Wonderful service and great ambiance & deco! They are a credit to Tassie!

Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing first night dining in Hobart”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

This place seemed to be a cousin of Sydney's Rockpool but there the similarity ended. Cheerful service but slow and noisy! They missed the opportunity to capitalise on fine Tassy produce but rather served overpriced, bland cuisine that left us terribly disappointed. $6 for a bread roll? I don't think so!

1 Thank LucasBurns
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I had our first anniversary dinner here. Food was amazing (highly recommend the eye fillet burger), service was fantastic and we really had a great evening. It's a noisy atmosphere, but in a good way.