“Great food and great vibe”

Rockwall Bar and Grill
Ranked #18 of 632 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

A great place for carnivores . Oysters were amazing, the kilpatrick was the best I had tasted. A special of rib eye was cooked to perfection with a lovely crusty exterior and juicy tender inside.

Service was laid back and efficient. Our lovely waitress was helpful with our menu and tourist tips.

Excellent coffee topped off a wonderful night.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our main waitperson was not interested in our group. She was mostly unsmiling and did not meet the wonderful local service standard we were becoming used to around Hobart. She couldn't or didn't answer some simple questions (and was very short in her other answers), didn't provide water (others got theirs), didn't replenish drinks... She made us feel uncomfortable. Another waitperson had welcomed us in a very friendly manner at the door but our main person let the experience down and became the focus of the evening. The food was OK but we were very distracted by our waiter (and not in a positive way). Acquaintances rave about the place. It looked a very promising restaurant but it wasn't to be for us.

2  Thank Familygdl
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Despite being an upmarket establishment and most definitely not a 'takeaway' kind of joint, the Rockwall team kindly agreed to do take away food for me, to save us having to dine out with our two tired and weary small children. This was a Godsend and meant my husband and I could still enjoy a delicicious, upmarket dinner, but in the comfort of our apartment at the Salamanca Terraces just a few doors up.
I was highly impressed that the manager/owner offered me a copy of their fabric bound menu to take back to my apartment, trusting me to drop it in the next day, and likewise entrusted the dinnerware to us later than evening when we collected our food. He even helped my husband carry all the food (served on proper porcelain plates, covered in foil) all the way back to our hotel room door! I regret not noting this fellow's name, as he definitely deserves mention. (We simply washed up and returned the plates to the restaurant the next day).

Now, as for the food...delicious! We ordered the bread with garlic butter (delicious crusty fresh bread, served warm); the Tempura Battered Prawns with honey & soy dipping sauce and asian salad, and this was a delicious starter (note the salad contained peanuts for any allergies out there). My husband enjoyed a beautifully cooked steak with peppercorn sauce, whereas I had the Pumpkin Ravioli starter for my main (yum). The food all tasted fresh, beautifully cooked and superbly presented, even in our rather unique takeaway format.

Pricing was in keeping with our expectations for a restaurant of this class, and not at all unreasonable. From memory, mains were in the vicinity of $27-$35.

My only suggestion to the Rockwall would be to include a small serving of a side vegetable with the steak, in addition to the potato, as the plate looked a little colourless and being forced to order a side dish can make the meal unecessarily expensive (and large).

Overall, I would happily recommend this restaurant to any traveller looking for a great meal, and would happily return myself if/when back in Hobart.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My partner and I went here for dinner. Made a booking the day before but when we got there they had to sort of make up a table for us right near the kitchen and had people walking past all the time. We found out its because half the place was booked for a function. We didn't mind though and sat and talked as we normally would. The prices were reasonable for the area and the class of the restaurant.
We had quail entree to share. It was very tasty and first time we'd had quail. Mains were lamb rack and duck. Both meals were delicious and I requested a couple of changes to my meal and they did these for me without any fuss. I was very impressed at the service and lovely girls working.
Even though they had a party with about 50 people up the back of the place they were extremely attentive and friendly.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Waited for too long, poor food, sloppy service, untrained wait staff, visitors to Hobart can do so much better. More than disappointing, a waste of a prime position.