“Great bistro”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Great bistro”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had a fabulous night. Sensational local produce. Wild rabbit pasta was a great dish. Great wine list. Casual relaxed and great fun.

Hobart, Australia
“Not so good this time...”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My second visit to ‘Piccolo’, North Hobart, was disappointing. I took my partner for his birthday and two other friends with an expectation of good food and service. For the main course I had the blackboard menu’s Beef Cheeks, which was slow cooked and delicious, well-presented and adequate quantity. My partner had the Duck, from the main menu, and again very good. Our guests ordered entrée size for their mains and were unimpressed with the quality; especially the ‘wild’ rabbit, which tasted predominantly of cheese. Three of us ordered scallops as our entrée, again from the blackboard menu, as scallops are now in season in Tasmania, but this dish very disappointing, inadequate quantity, poorly presented and suffered by being overly sweet.
The most disappointing aspect of the night was service. It seemed to me that, once we were seated, we were ignored for an inordinate time. When I suggested that we might be offered Olives and a pre-dinner drink, I was told that they were waiting for us to “settle in”. Perhaps that is how they do things there. After that both waitresses supplied minimum service, politely I admit, but with an unwarranted coolness. For example, not once did either of them ask whether we liked our meals and when the white wine was finished, we intended to have a red with our mains, neither waitress enquired whether we wanted another drink! I had to ask for the wine list, this time from a waiter (who was very obliging) but the food arrived before the wine, leaving us feeling just a little frustrated.
‘Piccolo’ doesn’t have an extensive menu, which is a good thing, and its wine list is very good indeed. Our experience, though, has dampened our enthusiasm for this restaurant but perhaps we will give it another try and see if we can recover the pleasure we first experienced there.

1 Thank JeffK43
“Appropriately named”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We went to Piccolo for my birthday dinner, having enjoyed our meals on a previous visit. The evening did not start well. The waitresses ignored us until my partner suggested that one of them might like to ask about drinks and nibbles. The attitude of both of them from then on might reasonably be described as icy. The olives we ordered came to the table as cold as the waitresses' attitudes, but things were about to get worse. The entress we ordered were miniscule and tasteless apart from an excessive amount of butter. My partner and I chose the scallops, which at this time of year in Tasmania are abundant and delicious. Our scallop entrees, however, were neither abundant nor delicious. A miserly serve of tasteless, luke-warm white blobs - possibly imported rather than local - in a sauce that was absurdly sweet. Our guests didn't do any better, with pasta dishes that would put any ordinary Italian eatery to shame. Regrettably, they had chosen pasta entrees for their mains as well.

The mains that my partner and I ordered were good, although at no point, even when clearing the plates, did the icemaidens ask whether we we had enjoyed our food - indeed their attitudes implied that they hoped we hadn't. Thankfully, the male waiter and the wines were good and we enjoyed the company of our friends. In summary, we decided that the restaurant is well named - with minimal and grudging service and laughably small entrees, although with substantial prices attached. We will not be darkening the door of Piccolo again anytime soon and recommend that you take your business elsewhere on the North Hobart restaurant strip. Piccolo is a disgrace.

2 Thank MichaelTasmania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“steak beautiful”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

good staff and steak was excellent, nice and cosy..enjoyed our meal..we did have to wait a little while but it was worth the wait. the owners/manager were welcoming

Visited August 2012
Hobart, Australia
“Almost there but not quite”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I'd have given this a 4.5 if I could, but it's not quite a 5 yet. First of all, they'll have to bring their wine prices down or reduce their corkage charge for BYO. The food was beautifully presented, delicious for the most part and the staff were perfect.

Visited May 2013