“Excellent Food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We recently took a holiday in Tasmania. We landed in Hobart and left from there too. Choosing to eat at this restaurant our first night was the second best decision we made on the trip. The first was going back there on our return to Hobart.

We found the food was fantastic value with large servings. The mango lassi was to die for. The staff were smiling and friendly. As we had a small child with us, we asked for very mild spice and got exactly that both visits.

We will go there any time we are in Tassie.

1  Thank Patrick O

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Annapurna has 2 sites in Hobart – one on Salamanca (rather soulless, modern but great location) and this one on Elizabeth Street in a bustling part of town (North Hobart). The Salamanca site is fine but doesn’t expect to have anyone other than tourists so doesn’t really try very hard. The Elizabeth Street site is a little outside of the tourist part of town in North Hobart in a street of restaurants and has to work harder to attract locals. The effect of this is that the service is better, the food has to be good enough to encourage repeat business and the general feel of the place is more like a ‘local’ restaurant. The food is good, the portions quite large and the value for money (remembering that this is Tasmania so nothing is cheap) good.

Having spent the last couple of years in Australia/Tasmania I have learned that good curry houses are hard to find – this is the best one that I have been able to find in Tasmania. Don’t expect it to be as good as the best UK curry houses but it is certainly above average.

1  Thank D N
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was craving Indian food the other night and did a bit of a google search for Indian takeaway and I came upon this website and as soon as I saw all of the reviews and checked out their menu online and saw their prices I had to try it. It did not disappoint. The food was tasty and it did have good quality meat as one other reviewer noted, it was cheap and the service was really friendly. I also noticed the lovely lady who served me threw in a few poppadoms for free too. Definitely recommend and will be returning. Thanks!

1  Thank isy b
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have dined at Annapurna on many occasions, and each time was great. The food here has been consistently good for many many years. They tend to try to cram in as many people as they can, so it can be a bit cramped when it is full, and the wine list is pretty ordinary. But the food!!! I recommend that you book ahead, especially on Friday/Saturday nights, because it is very popular. But if you can't get a table, they do takeaway as well.

1  Thank TasOwl
Reviewed October 17, 2013

YUM!! Easily the best meal I had eaten since arriving in Tasmania a week prior. Fantastic indian flavours, Great value, big portions (I had the delicious Vegitarian Thali and as hungry as I was could not finish it!). Meal and drinks came out fast. Lots of choices including a big range of vegetarian dishes. I only wish I had of had room saved for dessert!!