“Clean, convenient but noisy”

Central Hotel Hobart
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Penrith, Australia
“Clean, convenient but noisy”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here two nights. Great location, staff were nice, rooms lovely and clean, breakfast was basic but good. The only down side is the noise from the street and the constant beeping of the pedestrian crossing.

Room Tip: Try not to get rooms 3, 4 and 5 which are windowed to the main street.
1 Thank Linda467

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We recently stayed here during a quick break to Hobart.
The rooms are basic, but clean, the bed is comfortable, and our room had a window which could open up, however, we kept it closed most of the time, when there are people in the courtyard at the back, the cigarette smoke flows into the room and you can hear everyone’s conversation, which at times was....unsavoury to say the least!
I only have two words for the staff I encountered (they may not all be like this): slow & unprofessional (yes, I know it’s within a pub, but swearing and drinking in front of your customers....really?!)
I've rated this place as average, based on it being a short stay. If you are only going to be in the room to sleep and get ready in the morning, then it’s fine. If you keep your expectations minimal, then you won’t be disappointed.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel is located in a very convenient central location, right in the heart of the city, next to the City Mall and within a few minutes' walk to the Tourist Office, the Franklin wharf, Salamanca area, etc.
It has only 11 rooms on top of the reception which is a bar that is closed at about 10pm. Therefore do not expect services that you normally have in other standard hotels such as 24/7 reception, restaurant, room services, concierge, etc.
The bedrooms are arranged along one side of a U-shaped corridor which wraps around the stairs. As our room (room 6) is right on the landing of the stairs, which are of timber and not carpeted, we had noise problems from guests which wore hard-heeled shoes going up and down the stairs. The standard double-bed room is resonably sized and quite new and clean.
Breakfast is included with the room. It is not a full continental breakfast but the servings are sufficient. You have a choice of either cereal, or muesli or a hot dish such as toasts with bacon and egg, all with juice/tea/coffee. The hotel serves a limited menu for lunch. No dinner is served. However there are a few cafes nearby and many restaurants in the Salamanca area.
There is a taxi stand right at the entrance to the hotel. The stop for the airport shuttle bus is about 50 m away, opposite the corner nearest to the hotel. The hotel reception was quite helpful in making the booking for the shuttle to the airport for us.
We did not use the wired internet service so can not comment. We were disappointed that the hotel has no WIFI service.
We booked the double-bed room through Agoda and paid about AUD 100 per night.

Room Tip: As there are not many rooms available, there is not much choice. Rooms 1 to 4 face the street, rooms...
2 Thank TeeTeeDee
UK
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The entrance and reception is a bar with doors leading off to gaming rooms. Don't let that put you off! The rooms upstairs are fresh and spacious with all of the usual facilities. An LAN cable is provided for free internet hook up. Breakfast is plentiful and staff are very pleasant and welcoming. Being on the street of downtown Hobart, noise is inevitable but quietens after 10pm. Even the pokies and bar downstairs seems to close before that time!

Room Tip: Try to reserve a room not overlooking Collins Strreet
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for a few days and I'd gladly stay again. Excellent location and the rooms were very clean. Staff were friendly and with a decent sized breakfast included in the price you can't go wrong as far as value is concerned. The only problems were a lack of parking on site but there's plenty of cheap public parking nearby. The rooms and shower stall were a little small. If you stay in a room on the street side make sure you close your windows at night or you'll get woken up by the street cleaners, etc. TV reception wasn't very good. But if you're just after the basics and don't need all the extras I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PaulKolli
Melbourne
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I had to fly to Hobart without notice when a family member became critically ill and admitted to Royal Hobart Hospital to undergo life saving surgery.The hospital is a 4 minute walk away.

When I rang to book my accomodation, the staff member that I spoke to boooked me in without hassle.

I arrived several hours later (looking worse for ware after the emotional stress and travel) I was assisted to my room and given the directions to the hospital.

When I returned the same staff member asked how my family member was, if there was anything that I required and even though it was late (after 10pm) had I eaten and could they get me something light to eat. This is way more that I had expected and greatly appreciated.

As my stay has been on a day by day basis (due to medical condition of my family member) on one Saturday night there was no accomodation available, Kristy (staff) arranged alternate accomodation for me at a nearby hotel for the night and for my transfers to and from. Again more than expected and greatly appreciated.

The rooms are clean, well maintained and quiet. I have stayed in two different rooms (2 & 9) and both have not been noisy. There is a guest laundy where you can do washing & drying for $2 combined.

A cooked breakfast is included into your tarriff. For $70 a night I could not ask for a better more conveniently located property. The staff here are amazing and go way beyond the normal run of the mill stuff. However evening meals are not available and dining in the area late at night after leaving the hospital is limited.

Whilst I choose this accomodation based on its location to the hospital I would be happy to return in the future with my partner for pleasure.

Room Tip: no room advantages all rooms are the same all provide value for money
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here one night for a weekend visit to Hobart. It is in the town centre which is basically deserted on weekends. Short walk to Salamanca and a convenient base for sightseeing.
The room was nice and newly renovated. But during the evening our toilet broke. There are no staff on site overnight and we had to put up with a leaking broken and smelling toilet until the next morning.
The hotel is over a pub which isn't the classiest of venues. We thought we would have a nightcap there - but it closed before 9:30 on a Saturday night! In the morning, however, it was much busier. There were a dozen or so dodgy drunks having beers at 8am while we were having breakfast.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends