“Nice service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Harbour Lights

Harbour Lights
Ranked #17 of 595 Restaurants in Hobart
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A hidden gem embracing the views of Hobart's picturesque waterfront, Harbour Lights has long been a haven for locals, foodies and tourists alike. Whether you prefer a satisfying big breakfast, a traditional scallop pie for lunch or authentic Italian cuisine for dinner, the Harbour Lights team can offer you an experience to be savoured. Team all this with a perfect Belaroma coffee, T2 leaf tea or choose from a menu of predominantly Tasmanian and Italian wines, beers and liqueurs.
Western Victoria
“Nice service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Good service from young staff, food good quality and reasonable price for location. Eat upstairs if tables free

Visited June 2013

“Food and staff were wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stopped at the Harbour Lights for breakfast on our way to the market. The Tassie bagel was exceptional and great value for money. My husband had the BLT and it was great too.
It is a nice change to find staff who actually seemed please to serve you and then ask if everything was ok. I would highly recommend this cafe as a place for a lovely breakfast.

• Visited June 2013
Sydney Australia
“wow is this expensive for breakfast!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

To be fair, nothing was open on The Queen's Birthday for breakfast, we should have cooked in the cabin. We ventured out instead and I'm sorry we did. It tasted ok, but not fantastic for the money we spent. 2 Eggs and one slice of toast with mushrooms - over $20 per serve. Add a $5 cup of coffee and surcharge for the holiday. Man, that was pricey for breakfast. Atmosphere was pretty ordinary as well. I get what the other reviewer said about the spiral stairs, they were very steep and a bit hard to navigate.
I actually said to my husband during the meal my fingers are twitching to write a review on this it was so ridiculous.
Maybe it's good for lunch. And hey, they were open when most weren't. So I couple points for that.

Visited June 2013
Hobart, Australia
“Disappointing first visit !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We were taken to this eatery by a good friend who was a visiting regular who is about to relocate interstate. It is a short walk from his hotel and he swears by their Eggs Benedict as being the best in the world ! He also suggested that their coffee was top class.
Our friend is correct about the coffee. It is within the top ten places for coffee but we will have to wait to compare their breakfasts. Our friend is a lot younger than i and unlike me he does not suffer from the ravages of old age. We chose to go upstairs which means using the rather steep spiral staircase which reminded us of visiting medieval castles in the UK. They are brilliant in design but not swiftly ascended by the elderly or infirm. The spiral stairs had retarded my ascent by a few seconds and our friend and my wife had just sat down as i approached our table but our over efficient waitress was already engaging the seated with menus and chat. It was almost lunch time and the restaurant was quite quiet; so why the rush ? I felt her lack of awareness of my limping belatedness quite rude and before i had even had time to read the menu she was wanting our orders. This over sight is probably not universally disliked but as i get older and larger i seem to becoming more and more invisible ! This invisibility is not necessary and eateries should train their staff in the tried and tested egalitarianism which Australia used to be famous for. Needless to say, as the polite guest of our good friend i bit my lip and ordered just a single cup of coffee. My wife and our friend followed suite. So instead of our bill comimg to around $60 odd it came in at about $12. Close to $50 less! If this happens to just 2 tables a day the annual turnover will plummet by $36500. Beware the mobility of the GREY DOLLAR.!!

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Would try other food next time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

On the last day at Hobart I was dying to try some scallop pie (before I leave), I went to Hobart Light just before the morning coach, ordered the scallop pie and hot chocolate. The staff there were very friendly, the hot chocolate was very good, the pie was plain. It is 3-4 scallops in a plain curry sauce, hardly any favour. Not sure if they made the pie there or ordered it somewhere else. But it is seem to me a very nice little restaurant and I do want to try other food next time when I get back!

• Visited April 2013