“Hated every minute. Too dark and claustrophobic for me”
Review of Quarry Salamanca

and 1 more site!
Quarry Salamanca
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Didn't have a good start. Check in was a nightmare as I hadnt been told to go to the bar to check in. So I traipsed around dragging my suitcase until I went Into the bar as a last resort and surprise surprise! This is where you check in!! The guy checking me in was friendly enough at first (but not so much once I went to complain about a few things - and after reading since about how people who complain get treated, I now know why). My room was on the first floor (thank goodness) and there is no lift so it was quite a struggle up the narrow staircase.

First impression of the room. Dark and dingy. The walls are pretty cute (sandstone) but the nice things end there. The room was a pokey studio room with a window looking straight at the air conditioning units and roof of the pub below. A lot of noise came from the units as well and when I went down to ask for a room away for them I was told in no uncertain terms "No". Problem is I was here for a week and I spend a lot of time in my room working. The noise was just unbearable so I ended up having to ask if the "double glazing" panel could be fitted to at least dampen some of the noise (which it did but not by much) though the guy from the bar did this very ungraciously. I can't understand why they heck they wouldn't have the darn thing in place to start with.

To top it off, this dark dingy claustrophobic room had no air conditioning !! Absolutely terrible. So glad to find there was a fan (hidden in a cupboard) but it didn't help much. After my first ten minutes I was gasping to get out but I had a few hours work to do so had to try to ignore it all. Oh and that "cupboard" where I found the fan - it was actually the wardrobe!! What the?? Very small and cramped and only 3 coat hangers and it was in the so-called "kitchen" hence I hadn't thought it was a wardrobe at first

There is one teeny tiny table that is hopeless as a work space and only just coped as a dining table. I guess you aren't expected to "live" here - just come back to sleep after a day and night out and about. So it's obviously not geared to the true business traveller (ie one who is here to work and not live it up on the town all the time). There was a teeny tiny fridge that fitted hardly anything. The kitchen in fact was a joke. Washing machine was in the kitchen?? As was the "wardrobe". I think you get the picture - the place was cramped and things had to be crammed in anywhere. There was no dishwasher and not much else in the so called kitchen area.

The bathroom was pokey and the "toiletries" consisted of those awful pump pack things on the wall. I also would not like to be sharing this room with anyone. You shower right in front of a see through glass window. No doubt the interior designers thought it was nice but it isn't. Sorry. Also you had to be quite agile to climb over the rim of the bath in order to have a shower. It was quite high and not easy to get in and out of. So, if you have any mobility issues then this place is definitely not suitable

And the lighting! Well there wasn't any. It was so dark even with every single set of lights switched on! The lighting in the bathroom was hopeless and I did find that one of the globes was blown so making it even gloomier. Putting on makeup was a nightmare

To round it all off - the bed was hard and horrible. The only nice thing about the bed was the pillows, thank goodness for small mercies.

Apart from the noise from the air conditioning units I did also get noise from the people directly above - they sounded like a herd of elephants. I also was subjected to the lady next door making numerous phone calls, of which I clearly heard her end of the conversation. I was very happy when she checked out.

On top of it all. There is no parking. You have to rely on there being available street parking, which is not bad Mon-Wed but gets hard to find towards end of the week. I spent over 20 mins searching for a spot on the Thurs and had to park streets away, which was really annoying after a hard days work.

Honestly, the only good thing going for this place is the fact it is right on Salamanca Place so maybe if you were here just for a weekend getaway it would be bearable - just. Otherwise I was absolutely not impressed at all and won't be staying here again if I can help it. Definitely not a place for a business traveller who needs to work in the room.

Note: I since found out that other rooms are not like the one I had. ONCE AGAIN my (male) colleague had a much better room facing the front. He said he had TWO nice airy windows and a work desk. I only have his word for that but I did see the new occupants moving in when he left and I could see into room and it looked light and airy and not at all dingy and claustrophobic like mine. So, obviously, you can have a semi decent room here (though my colleague did say that the street noise was really bad)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank BrisCaz
There are newer reviews for Quarry Salamanca

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Cons:

*it's noisy so don't expect to get to sleep before 11 or even midnight (to the hotel's credit, however, the noise level is clearly advertised on their Wotif website).
*the bin from the previous guests was not emptied by housekeeping
*the bathroom sink was clogged
*no pen and paper available
*the shower was great but there's no privacy as it's visible from the rest of the room
*the guest information package in the room indicated that a questionnaire was attached but there was not

Pros:

*excellent location
*very friendly staff
*comfy bed

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed in the Sullivans apartment which was on the top floor. The apartment was clean and so beautiful. The apartment had sandstone walls, everything we needed, tv, comfortable lounge, dining table and chairs, stove top, fridge, washing machine and dryer( which didn't work) but the girls took care of our washing for us. I love how in the bathroom, the bath looked in to the lounge through a massive glass wall, very different. It was very quiet, we could hear nothing from our apartment. the staff were fantastic on check in and out. We would have loved to have stayed another night, but had commitments elsewhere.

Room Tip: Sullivans was perfect for the two of us
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nicole M
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Had a week here in a great apartment. Brilliant location & bar with great selection of craft beers & local wines.
Free breakfast was superb if not on the large side but a lovely touch & surprise.
Free wi-fi added to the comfort too. Casey & Bruce looked after us & it was nice to find a bottle of wine called The Quarry & share a glass with them on our last day.
Thank you also to Justin & Sarah, lovely to meet you all
Chrissie & Reggie

Room Tip: Top floors were lovely
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The walls in these apartments are so thin that I could literally hear the couple next door breathing, eating, talking... and other things that I won't mention here! The sound was so crystal clear that it felt like they were in the room with me! A complete lack of privacy that made me feel uncomfortable and certainly resulted in a bad night of sleep. The manager looked baffled when I complained at this at check-out, although reading the other reviews here I can't believe it's the first time he's heard this.

The apartments are nice, but certainly not what you would expect from an expensive 'boutique' property. There's no special features like a coffee machine, iPod dock, cable television, nice toiletries... there's not even an alarm clock. There's a lack of attention to upkeep and maintenance; several globes were out, which made an already dark room very dingy.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank queenbee1981
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great design on the rooms, loved the bathroom and the cool pull out toaster from the microwave, never seen that before! Not that we had to use the toaster as breakfast was included and it was sooooo convenient to go downstairs and be served absolutely fabulous choice of breakfast every morning. Such good value. Loved being so close to the markets on Saturday, easy to walk to ferry for mona and grab seafood from the wharfs.

Room Tip: The " market "room was upstairs and had a lovely loft feel to it. It faced the street so I...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend. The checkin was straightforward and friendly. The male staff member even carried out bags up the two flights of narrow stairs. A beautiful modern room, with a very comfy bed. The room was very well set out with all the appliances that you could need! The Friday night was a lot quieter than the Saturday when it was hard to fall asleep because of the noise! Overall thou, if you want somewhere to stay right in the heart of the market, this is the place.

• Stayed: October 2013