“Paper thin walls wrecked a great place to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quarry Salamanca

Quarry Salamanca
Ranked #39 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
Palm Beach, Australia
“Paper thin walls wrecked a great place to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Fantastic location, funky furnishings but you could hear every pin drop from the room next door. If this lack of privacy can be overcome it would be a great place to stay. Unfortunately whispering in your own apartment wasn't appealing.

Room Tip: Find out if they've sound proofed the walls
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank daz69_2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place checks all the boxes for:
Location - Salamanca Markets outside front door
Cleanliness - Perfect (and I am fussy!)
Comfort - No noise (rear room first floor) bed fantastic
Value for money - Note: If wanting to do breakfast Saturday morning, make sure you book or you'll wait - due to the markets
Staff - courteous and helpful

Room Tip: Watch out if: You have a mobility issue -stairs only and bath/shower huge step in and out with no s...
3 Thank Youngones62
Sydney Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and have to say it was a fantastic stay. I read all of the previous reviews and I agree with all of them. From walking into the restaurant to check in, I was greeted by friendly staff who let us leave our luggage there as we arrived early in the morning and was told that we could check in earlier if we wished.

We booked on wotif and got a fantastic 3 night special in "The Cove" room which is on the first floor and has no view but the beer garden roof. All other reviews complained of noise from the outside bar but we didnt hear anything but slight noise from upstairs apartment. My first impression of the apartment was that it was really cute and loved the layout and the sandstone walls and wooden high ceiling beams. Then I went to turn on the TV and found that the remote didn't work as the batteries were corroded, so I went downstairs and the promptly apologized and some new batteries were delivered.

Whilst turning on TV I noticed that there was a lot of dust along the bench then started to check the apartment and noticed that all surfaces except for kitchen bench and bathroom were really dusty. I immediately thought that this room hasn't been occupied for quite some time???? Then I looked in kitchen draws and noticed that there was a frypan with a puddle of oil left in it and the glasses were still wet and not clean. Also I'm not sure if the sheets were changed???? But I can't be sure? I was not impressed!!

I saw one of the staff and told her I really wasn't impressed with the cleanliness of the room and took her inside to show her. She was very apologetic and would make sure that it would be clean by the time we got back and it was.

The lighting was very dark throughout and in the bathroom above vanity basin the down light was hanging out of the wall and not working which made it even darker. Very hard to put on makeup ladies.

Overall it is a great place to stay with really comfy king bed and pillows. Great location and included was complimentary breakfast up to $20 every brekie we had was fantastic and served by really friendly sweet staff.

I would absolutely stay there again but they need to step up on the cleanliness of the rooms as it is absolutely not acceptable to let out an apartment that is has not had the once over. They need a cleaning checklist to make sure everything has been completed.

Room Tip: Maybe choose one looking towards harbour.
2 Thank Dooges72
Mandurah, WEST. AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed at The Quarry Salamanca for 1 night with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed it. Got a good deal off "WOTIF" and it was wonderful. Reception staff in bar, although very new to premises, seemed extremely helpful, even though they fully didn't know the booking process yet.
A big + to them.

We stayed in the "Waterman" room which we were informed on the WOTIF website, was above the bar, and did get noisy sometimes. It was a Thursday night and not too busy down stairs. The noise was hardly noticable. We did hear some noise from above with their footsteps, but being a typical historic Salamanca building with roof/floor timbers showing, that was to be expected.
The room itself was clean, spacious and had all amenities that we required.
The bathroom was great, and very authentic.
Bed was fantastic, and if it had have fitted in my suitcase, I would have taken it with me...haha.
After a red eye flight from Perth, we spent quite a lot of time in it.
Breakfast in the restaurant on ground level was great, and staff were very pleasant again. (note to boss- KEEP ALL STAFF MEMBERS).
All in all, an extremely pleasant stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.
My only issues are vehicle parking, which is unavoidable by the premises, but parking police were checking in front of hotel, and stairs to the rooms. Not a problem for us, but elderly could struggle with luggage.
We have now left the Hotel, and are staying in some pre-arranged acommodation, BUT will definately be returning to the restaurant/bar. Thank you Quarry On Salamanca.

Room Tip: Waterman room could get noisy if busy downstairs or out the front, but we were warned and it wasn...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are well appointed, contemporary, very comfortable King size bed, gorgeous linen, clean modern bathroom with view onto the bed/ living area. Fully equipped kitchen, we didn't make use of it but it is totally self contained. We were kindly offered breakfast at the cafe below. Would highly recommend and definitely return on future visits to Hobart.

• Stayed July 2013
Barwon Heads, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the Waterman apartment and we were blown away by it all.. The decor, the bathroom, the use of space and the bed!! A bed to not get out of.. The views were great from the space.. even from the shower and the bed.

The staff were beautiful.. Attentive but not over bearing.. Just gorgeous, pleasant, young people who know their profession and do it exceptionally well.

The bar, restaurant, lounge areas have a great feel too. Breakfast was included and was delish.

Being right on the Main Street of Salamanca Place was a bonus.. Close to everything but no noise reached us..

Would thoroughly recommend it to all and would love to come back one day.

Room Tip: Front rooms offer great views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed one night in the Waterman apartment and were happy with the overral stay but there were a few things that really let the place down. The building and apartments themselves are amazing and the bed was incredibly comfortable.
Upon arriving however I was given a key to the wrong apartment and consequently walked in on a stranger which left me embarrassed and feeling terrible for the person. After getting the correct key, we found our apartment impressive but lacking in terms of service.
There was no body wash in the bathroom (just a big empty steel holder next to the shampoo and conditioner), the towels had cotton strings hanging from the edges, the bed looked like it hadn't been made properly and the toilet roll was half used. When I went to leave feedback in the book I found the form had already been filled out by the previous visitors, so they hadn't replaced it. At that point I was unsure if they had even made the room up, especially considering they thought we were booked into another apartment hence giving us the wrong key. The lighting in the bathroom was incredibly bad for putting on makeup but the rain shower and bath were really great. If you can handle a few hiccups in regards to service I would still recommend staying here as it is a very beautiful building and in such a great location. Perhaps we just had some bad luck.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple