“Great food, relaxed service”
Review of The Duke

The Duke
Ranked #124 of 614 Restaurants in Hobart
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Real Food, Real Music At the Duke we love to share the best of Tasmania. So we source our food locally, our artwork is local, as are our musicians, and our extensive collection of Tassie Gins and Whiskys. Live music every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and Quiz every Wednesday evening.
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent, and the service was friendly. The only complaint I would have is that the food was a long time coming (probably due to a large party in the function room). It was fine because I had my book but if I'd been on a date, we'd have run out of small talk by then ...

There are newer reviews for The Duke

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Went there with wife in tow Friday night. Managed to score a table for two - the place was full of diners which is a good sign. Nice casual duet playing and singing in the corner which was cool - and after we ate, we lounged on one of the sofas, glass in hand and just relaxed.

The music was not in your face. The meals are good meals. My char grilled porterhouse steak sat on a huge dollop of garlic mash (no chips, which was a relief). The steak (although not the tenderest I have ever had) was cooked to perfection. Medium rare - pink all the way through. The accompanying gravy sauce was a delight. My wife's slow cooked lamb ragout was shredded, tasty, filling and nicely presented.

We saw other patrons getting served beautiful looking pizzas which is another dining option,

We thought that the quality of the meals, the presentation and the availability of live music was a great bargain at about $26 a head for mains. When you consider that this is a pub/bistro we consider it pretty good.

Tip - live music Friday nights. We will try to get there on the first Tuesday of the month also, as I note that they host a blues night on that day of the month,

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely meal, served by friendly, young and attentive staff. I recommend the Turkish Lamb - yum!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stumbled across this place - waiting to go to the movies. So glad the little cafe across the road was full - this place is beautiful.
Table service lovely - young gents very friendly and attentive. Local wines lovely. And the food was enjoyed so much by all - especially my teenage daughter who fell in love with mushrooms after eating the mushroom risotto.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have eaten here several times now (including a wedding) and EVERY time the food and service have been excellent.