“Never again!”
Review of Rain Check Lounge

Rain Check Lounge
Ranked #209 of 615 Restaurants in Hobart
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Raincheck Lounge is a neighbourhood institution and has been serving the good people of North Hobart for over 10 years. Supplying locally roasted coffee and serving all day breakfast and lunch 7 days a week. Raincheck is also open for dinner Wednesday - Saturday, specialising in tapas and a seasonal set menu. Wine, beer and cocktails that highlight Tasmania's finest.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Chose this cafe for our wedding anniversary breakfast....really wish we gone elsewhere. After taking a seat and having a waitress pass us numerous times and ignoring us I went looking for a menu.
We were finally asked if we would like to order a drink which was delivered after about 10 minutes. I had ordered tea and when it arrived I was horrified to find the spoon, cup and milk jug all dirty. It would have been impossible for the person making my tea not to see food stuck on the milk jug and also around the cup.
We had finished our drinks by the time the waitress asked if we would like to order food. The cafe was not that busy so I am not sure why the service was so poor.
I ordered eggs benedict. Truly the worst eggs I have eaten. The crust on the toast was so hard you needed to saw through it. The hollandaise sauce was horrid and the bacon over cooked. I scraped as much sauce off as I could but still ended up with a stomach ache before I left.
Poor service, poor food...will not go back and will be telling friends not to bother.

1  Thank tasgirl35

Reviewed December 10, 2013

The leader of the opposition and my humble self enjoyed the chef's table, a four course tapas degustation.

The first dish was an artichoke tempura with a basil aoli that could not have been improved upon served with a range of breads made on the premises with a balsamic and olive oil dip.

The second a smoked and caramalized quail with fenel and apple salad. A great combo but lacked zest/seasoning.

The third dish was a blue eye w/skin on a romesco sauce served with a dish of baby potatoes, mouth watering!

Finished with a dessert of two home-made ice-creams w/ tuiles. Delicious!

The meal sizes were ample and the service was first rate.

We will be there again soon.

1  Thank l1ves2travel
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We have been here a few times and each time the food and service is outstanding. We had the Chefs Table menu - a four course meal for two for $70. There's also a great tapas selection and wine by the glass. You can't go wrong. Thank you for a great night - we'll be back again.

2  Thank burgs01
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Lunch Friday everything else was bustling . Raincheck had tables. Food - gnocchi was great . However asked for two wines written in the blackboard both were unavailable - well rub them off or walk up the street and restock . The Asian service was arrogant and poor . Dessert was not offered.

1  Thank Frances M
Reviewed October 28, 2013

If you happen to be over the ditch from Melbourne then this place will make you feel like you just hopped of the tram in Fitzroy. The eclectic mix of furniture, blackboard menus all over the shop, papers to read, mags to flick through, posters on walls to catch your eye. You know the drill. No uniforms here but plenty of chit chat, laughter and a bit of well intentioned stick from the staff makes it all good fun. We had the trio of dips (loved the smoked eel!) and a selection of tapas - all excellent. Unsurprisingly enjoyed a sip of the Milton Pinot Gris and there is a good wine list up on the wall with plenty by the glass. Oh and by the way you can grab a bottle of Grand Krug if its celebration time. This place is busy for a very good reason - it rocks. If you are looking for a place to hang out and make like a Jean Paul Sartre with great coffee then this place fits the bill.

1  Thank johnm53376