“Very modern and well located to the centre of Hobart”

Sullivans Cove Apartments
Ranked #2 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Hobart
Sydney
“Very modern and well located to the centre of Hobart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

Lovely 2 bedroom apartment extremely modern with computerized blinds, lights, music and television. Well looked after extremely clean. Very comfortable beds. We would stay here again. It is a little expensive at $430 per night for 2 adults and 1 teenager but it was at the height of the Sailing sydney to Hobart period and it was a luxury appartment as stated. It did not let anyone down.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
LisaThorsen, General Manager at Sullivans Cove Apartments, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sullivans Cove Apartments. We are really glad that you enjoyed the apartment and found it to have everything you needed and more. As all of our apartments are located around the waterfront they make a great base for exploring all that Hobart has to offer during the summer festival and the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Accommodation is at a premier during the summer months in Hobart but if you are willing to brave cooler temperatures come down in autumn or winter and get some great rates on our apartments or look for our mid-week special and the stay 3, pay for 2 deals that we offer in some of our super-premier apartments. We look forward to welcoming you to Sullivans Cove Apartments again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pottsville Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We booked 2 rooms and had planned and saved long and hard to stay at this location, the rooms are fantastic, and well laid out, we had specifically booked these apartments because of the balconies and no stairs as both apartments had men with limited mobility, but unfortunately we couldn't open our balcony doors because we were located over the doors to the garbage area and the flies were terrible. The cleaners offered us insect spray, which was fine to kill the flies but we still couldnt open our doors or use the balconies. Also it is advertised as a serviced apartment but unfortunately after being out for 7 hours when we returned that afternoon after a very tiring day the cleaners were just about to start servicing our rooms then!. it was the last thing we felt like. Also when on holiday I like a sleep in, well downstairs the delivery trucks arrive very early and I am sure his mate must work in the restaurant or the driver was having his breakfast, because he sat there idling for at least half an hour, it was a refridgerated truck and had to keep cold, then the bottle recycler arrived and seemed to empty 100 crates of bottles into his crusher, well I suppose when you book apartments that are in an alley behind shops and restaurants what should I have expected!.
After 2 phone calls to reception and an email we did finally manage to have a little help, 1 of our 2 rooms was able to move to the penthouse upstairs, which was lovely, but unfortunately it was 2 story, and because of my husband and uncles limited mobility neither of them could use the stairs there. So only one of our groups had to continue with the fly spray.
And as lovely as the penthouse was the towel warmer didnt work in the ensuite, and the clothes dryer was broken, I did empty the filter in the dryer, it was about 6 inches thick with fluff, and also the water container was full to the brim, it clearly says in the instructions that it should be emptied regularly, I now know why the dryer was broken, clearly the cleaners get in and get out as quick as they can... and there were no bath robes in the penthouse like there was in the other apartment.
I was extremely upset with just how much money we paid for what we got, I would have expected at least a little view at nearly $400 a night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Annelikestotravel
LisaThorsen, General Manager at Sullivans Cove Apartments, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It is unfortunate that your time here did not live up to the experience that the majority of our guests have with us. I remember speaking with you during your stay and working on solving the issues you were having. I was given the impression that the solutions I came to were acceptable to you. The garbage room on the ground floor of the IXL building is shared by many different businesses and the fly issue you had was coming from there. Once you alerted me to it the GM of the Henry Jones Art Hotel was contacted and he made sure his staff were made aware that the door to that room needed to be kept closed at all times even though the room is not their exclusive responsibility. At the time you told me that the fly issue was only a problem in one of the two apartments you booked and I moved you from the problem room as soon as I could into a penthouse which was the only apartment I had left at that time. When I explained that the apartment was on the fourth floor of the same building and the apartment was on two levels you didn't seem to have a problem with it and were happy with the move. There have been no other complaints from guests about a fly problem in any of the apartments since your stay so I suspect the issue was a factor of the humidity and less then normal vigilance around keeping the garbage room door closed. The housekeepers did get to your apartment later than normal for the daily service on the first day of your visit as they were terribly busy but when you raised it with me I asked you to let me know what the ideal time would be for them to service your apartment and for the rest of your stay they serviced at that time. All of our apartments are located around the waterfront and noise is sometimes a factor, although we do try to make guests aware of these potential issues on our website it is unfortunate that at this busy time of year the neighbouring hotel and shops were more active than usual. Had you let me know that the solutions I provided to the issues you were having were not acceptable to you when you were here I would have tried to find other alternatives for you as guest satisfaction is very important to us.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

We were pleasantly surprised at the size of our apartment (IXL Executive) on the 3rd floor....2 bathrooms (big shower in one, huge bath in another) and the towels warmers were an added bonus esp in the freezing Hobart last week. Room temp well-controlled and apartment very clean - 2 large bedrooms and fully-equipped modern kitchen!
Only drawback is that there isn't much of a view but I guess that would push the price up and then you could stay in a penthouse higher up for over $400 a night.
No real reception area (but just call across to their offices during office hours - only?) like a hotel but I guess we didn't need room-service or a porter.
Location off Hunter Street amazing (next door/behind to the Henry Jones Hotel).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
LisaThorsen, General Manager at Sullivans Cove Apartments, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sullivans Cove Apartments. We appreciate your positive comments and are glad you enjoyed your time in the IXL 2 bedroom executive apartment. You are correct, the penthouse apartments in the IXL building are on the 4th and 5th floors and enjoy expansive water views. The apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors are equally well appointed and share the central location but without the water views. As we are offering self-contained accommodation we do not have a 24 hour reception desk as you noted but the office is attended 7 days/week during normal business hours and we do have someone on call 24 hours/day in case of emergency. We hope to welcome you back to Sullivans Cove Apartments again and perhaps you could try one of our other waterfront or Salamanca locations which all also offer complimentary internet access, secure parking and access to our DVD library.
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

Our stay at Sullvian's Cove could have turned out really badly but thankfully we had a wonderful stay. About a week before our holiday, I phoned to confirm which apartment we were staying in so I could see our location etc, when I gave my details, there was no record of our booking. We had booked to stay in the Admiral Suite but it was no longer available. Hayley, the receptionist I spoke to said she would sort something out for us and when she got back to us she gave us a couple of options, one of which was an upgrade to the Admiral's Penthouse. We took this option and were so pleased with our apartment and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Hayley was also excellent to deal with and was friendly and helpful as I was quite panicked about not having a reservation - compliments to her.

The penthouse is stunning, gorgeous views, plenty of space and a great kitchen with excellent amenities. I love the L'Occitane toiletries in the bathroom! I couldn't really fault the apartment at all, and although couldn't usually afford to stay in this room if we went to Hobart again we'd definitely stay at a Sullivans Cove apartment. The location at Salamanca was also so convenient - it's just a shame we didn't have better weather so we could enjoy the balcony which looks out over the docks and across to Salamanca Place.

Overall, we had only good things to say about our stay, from a situation that could have ruined our holiday we're extremely happy with the service we received and the standard of the accommodation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
LisaThorsen, General Manager at Sullivans Cove Apartments, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
We are thrilled that we were able to take a potential negative and turn it into a positive experience for you and very happy that you were so pleased with your apartment.
Hayley is fantastic on the desk and we're lucky to have her!
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Hobart.
launceston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I am not sure if we were upgraded but we booked an IXL Executive direct with the property via the internet, but I would think that we stayed in a 3 bedroom penthouse! It was the best equipped and most luxurious apartment we have stayed in. We were blown away by the generous size of the apartment and the attention to facilities and decor! We will definately stay there again!
The only downside was the location of the reception, which is a little odd.
Awesome!!! Loved it!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ethelrog
LisaThorsen, General Manager at Sullivans Cove Apartments, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
We are glad you enjoyed the apartment you stayed in so much! We do try to make sure all of our apartments are equiped with the ammenities guests will need for their stay and it's great to hear that we succeeded in making your stay so memorable.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 4,002 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Driving down to Hobart from Cradle Mountain in the snow we realized we would be late arriving so I rang the hotel to state my concerns regarding getting keys to our apartment before their office closed.

The receptionist was superb & quickly SMS a text message regarding details picking up keys from a letterbox with instructions.

On arrival we found the keys & followed the instructions to our apartment 304. We were lucky to book the last two bedroom apartment & were hoping it was going to be located in the same building as our last visit. To our satisfaction & pleasure the apartment was located one level up from our previous one with exactly & precisely the same layout.

Having stayed at these apartments before we just couldn’t consider staying anywhere else in Hobart, as having to attend a conference for a week we wanted somewhere spacious, relaxing & comfortable.

Our apartment was again fabulous so we invited guests over for drinks with confidence; all our guests loved the apartment & regretted they had not booked the apartments too as most were staying across the road at Hotel Grand Chancellor.

Overall: We had another delightful stay without any hiccups except for the lift being maintained for service for a day which meant a walk down 3 levels. Regardless, we thoroughly enjoyed our very spacious well designed apartment.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Ellemay
Thank you for your fantastic, detailed review of your stay with us. We noticed on your profile that you have posted on Trip Advisor over 18 000 times!! After all that travel and experience with accomodation for you to come back to us for a repeat visit and to rate us so highly really means something. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

Stayed in the IXL apartments for two nights.
Strengths
Great location although it took a the two days to work out the walkways to find out how good.
These apartments are super modern and well layed out.
Very comfortable you could easily stay there several weeks.

Weeknesses
Service was poor. Checked in after hours and was supplied the details via email on how get my keys and where to find my room, only to find that the security number to open the mail box had been changed. Had to use a screwdriver and fingertips to slide our keys thru a small gap in the box. The email info did have a phone contact but this was only during office hours (which is only when you will find anyone.) Strange enough the envelope with the keys that we managed to get listed the after hours mobile contact.
When I spoke to the staff about the trouble they were not interested and said it had only changed in the last week or so and they will change the info they send to new guests.
We also had a toilet lid that was broken and would have mentioned to staff at the time of check out but as she only grunted at me I really didn't want to trouble her any longer that I needed.
Also the outside noise coming through the windows was terrible. There was a band playing until 11pm on the thursday night and I felt I was right inside there with the band. I did like their 80's mix of songs but, I could still hear them packing up their gear until they left the allyway around 12 midnight. Basically any noise (voice,walking....) can be heard and will keep you awake.

Apart from my issues with the service provided, the apartments are fantastic. If the service skills came up to matched the price charged you would more than happy to stay there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Richneet
LisaThorsen, General Manager at Sullivans Cove Apartments, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Sullivans Cove Apartments on Trip Advisor. We are distressed to read that there were parts of your experience that were not satisfying.

We have acted on the concerns you raised on your Trip Advisor review regarding the after hours procedures. We have remedied all the procedures to ensure this does not happen with future guests. There has been a change of management in the last few months and we are working towards upgrading all our policies and procedures to ensure Sullivans Cove Apartments continues to maintain our 5 star standards.

We pride ourselves on both the quality of our apartments and our customer service. Previous comments from guests have indicated Sullivans Cove Apartments staff posses a high level of customer service skills and we strive to maintain this. We are disappointed you did not feel positive about the interactions you had with our staff. We take all comments on board in an effort to continuously improve our service and offerings.