“Words and pictures do not suffice”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 699 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was part of a group that traveled down the mighty Franklin River in March under the company Franklin River Rafting (http://www.franklinriverrafting.com), led by the fantastic Elias and Franzi. We were gone for 10 days, away from the stress and technology of modern life. It is a perfect opportunity to not only test yourself physically and mentally, but also for personal reflection.

The more I think back on it, the more I realise that those of us on this trip could enjoy this amazing all the more thanks to both Elias and Franzi's knowledge of the river and its surrounds. Their level of care and professionalism is beyond superlatives. Their enthusiasm is contagious. Their wilderness cooking deserves a michelin star. I am very thanksful I was able to raft this river with them. If I did it again, I would not hesitate to give them a call.

For me personally, it was an unforgettable trip where I could both relax and admire such a magical place. No words, photos or videos are suitable to describe this iconic wilderness. You *must* experience it for yourself.

1  Thank Nathan E

Reviewed April 27, 2013

To sit by a wild untouched river listening to moving water rolling over rocks, pulling at hanging branches and eroding banks and witnessing nature at its purest form, there is nothing like it.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

For an older gent, this was a memorable adventure that was both arduous and exhilarating. The ability to enjoy this experience is testament to those who fought 30 years ago, to save this pristine wilderness. The adventure was made thoroughly enjoyable by the excellent leadership and professionalism of Elias and Franzi our guides in Franklin river Rafting, whose knowledge, astute commands, deep appreciation of the area and magnificent cooking provided the judgement to keep us safe and the sustenance to weather the weather and the physical challenges. You can't have good water without rain, and we had both after day 2. A great time and memory and full credit to our guides and mentors- I thoroughly recommend them to anyone contemplating this adventure.
Your choices are dictated by what the river and weather will permit- you are isolated in a spiritual connection with ancient and evolving creation. You have nothing electronic and only limited escape. Nature at its rawest and finest. David.

3  Thank david e
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I rafted the Franklin River in March 2013 with Water by Nature. Our guides were Brett and Klaudia who were fantastic in all respects.They were knowledgeable, cautious but optimistic, and very patient. I grew up in Tassie and knew about the demise of Lake Pedder. The Franklin Dam Blockade in 1983 had been a formative part of my life. To finally see the river and its surrounds in almost pristine condition (there are still some HEC installations to remind you how different it could have been) with my sister, in my 50th year celebration, was wonderful. We were lucky enough to have rain prior to our trip which eased our way down the river. 'Atmospheric' rain continued on and off in the beginning, but it made the trees sparkle, and the rainbows beautiful. Our walk up Frenchmans Cap was an added bonus. We walked up in the afternoon, spent the night at Tahune Hut, and then walked up to the summit by torch light for the dawn. The peaks were visible above an ocean of cloud. It was stunning. The Great Ravine is everything you have read and more. The rapids came with reputations, and were very loud within the canyon walls. Each one was assessed and then negotiated in a variety of ways - all of us, Brett alone, lined through or portaged. The rocks could be pretty slippery and I would reinforce the purchase of the recommended Dunlop Volleys. We were lucky enough to spend two days at a lovely campsite waiting to collect others from the Mt McCall track. The lower Franklin with its caves, beaches and rock formations continued all the way to the Gordon River. The trip was a continuous food fest - nutritious, plentiful and yummy. Prawns, fresh greens right to the end, pancakes - we were amazed what could be produced with a frypan. I had never slept under cave overhangs before or slept on beaches under the stars. To be rafting and in such a remote area would not have been possible for me without the expert guidance of Water by Nature and I would recommend this trip with this company to anyone who is reasonably fit and nimble.

2  Thank Polly A
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Brett from Water By Nature leads an extremely safe and knowledgable trip on the mighty Franklin River which is to be expected I guess, seeing he's rafted it over 200 times (I have heard him called the Godfather of the river although this quietly spoken, gentle man, probably wouldn't like this title).
If you like a challenge - and you will be personally challenged in some way during your trip - this is a great combination of adventure, physical exercise, simpleness, camping and the resting of the mind, in the ultimate pristine environment. I highly recommended this trip but come prepared - this is nature's Hilton, not Paris Hilton. Depending on river water levels things can be physical, you may have to lift kit bags around slippery rocks or on lower levels, carry rafts over river logs...it's all part of the fun and experience. I can't stress enough to pack the correct gear, preparing also for cold cold days if at the end of a season and it's raining. This is a trip you will talk about for many years to come.

2  Thank CathyFinch