“Excellent all round.”

Ranked #283 of 681 things to do in Tasmania
Newnham
“Excellent all round.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We travelled to the Berry Farm and everything was amazing. Fabulous service and coffee from the young girls. Great friendly atmosphere for kids and parents. Will defiantly be back for more coffee and food.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond, Australia
“Family friendly, excellent staff, coffee & icecream”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I highly recommend Hillwood Berry Farm! I have been multiple times now, once with my pregnant partner (who bought a great little gift pack of creams and gels) and several times with my family. Love picking fresh berries, taste testing all the ice cream and the staff are always happy and friendly. Make sure you grab a bottle or two of the Hillwood wines to take home! Looking forward to heading back next time I am in Tassie!

Launceston, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Berries are nice, the service is'nt”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We arrived and visited the cafe, we came for lunch and it was a little disappoointing that there were no savoury options, mostly icecream sundaes, pancakes and a few biscuits. I had pancakes and the kids got a sundae each + coffee and milkshakes. These took about 30 mins to be served which is a bit ridiculous considering there are only about 5 or 6 tables in the cafe ordering coffee and icecream (and the pancakes are not freshly made, just microwaved)
While ordering the food I asked about picking our own berries and had to quiz the girl at the counter 5 or so questions just to get the basic info, nothing was forthcoming.
There is a "kids corner" in the cafe which is a great idea, however there was a child bashing a xylophone the entire time! and train tracks had been scattered half way across the cafe. The xylophone was clearly disturbing everyone except the mother of the child (even my children aged 7 & 9 thought it was too much to put up with). When our food finally arrived I told the waitress the xylophone was a bit unfair on the other patrons and should be put away, she said, no. I then suggested that the train tracks strewn across the floor were a hazard being in front of the product displays and she just shrugged and walked away.
The staff were even more ill-mannered after this and took another 10 minutes to bring the coffee which was ordered with the food. I'm not exagerating when I say this was actually the worst coffee i have ever purchased anywhere.
This place has great potential and its sad that an otherwise nice outting was somewhat spoiled by the slow and rude service. As it is this venue would make a great community playgroup. If you have children which struggle in controlled situations/environments you will feel quite welcomed here. If you have a low tolerance for kids with xylophones and painfully slow service dont come!

2 Thank qldtas
Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Perfect entertainment for young kids”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We visited Hillwood Berry Farm with our 3 year old son. I think it might have been the highlight of his trip. We visited once and picked half a kilo of raspberries (quite a lot of fun hunting for the best ones) which cost about $10.00 and were simply delicious. We then stayed for a soft drink and some cake (the "cafe" part closes at 4 while the berry picking stays open until 5) while our son played on the trampoline in the sandpit and with the variety of toys. It is kiddie heaven.

We went back a few days later and picked some strawberries. Strawberry picking is fun but over a lot quicker so therefore not quite as good value (it takes a lot of time to hunt out good raspberries). They were easily the best strawberries I had had in years. Again we stayed for some food (nothing to write home about) and coffees (average and took about 25 minutes to be made!) but as the sun was shining and we were watching our son have a ball but I wouldn't recommend it to adults without kids as a "cafe stop".

63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“farm gate is the way to go”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We gave the cafe and pick your own a miss and stopped instead at the farm gate just up the road where the berries are available already picked along with a range of other items. Our first visit in late December yielded plump fresh raspberries and strawberries that were absolutely delicious. They were so good we returned in mid Jan and bought more to take home with us. We visited a number of similar establishments throughout Tasmania with well known names but the berries were no where near as juicy and delicious.

Visited December 2013