“best piazza” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Umbertos

Umbertos
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Coober Pedy
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Roslyn
“best piazza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Best piazza ever. Great food. Fresh. Nice menu. Good service. GOOD WINE LIST. PRIVATE ROOMS up stairs. valet parking.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Dunsborough
“Dinner at Umbertos”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We dined at Umbertos on Sunday 7. April. The rsestaurant is located on the top floor of the only 4star hotel in Coober Pedy. The restaurant appeared quite grand or maybe pretentious. We were shown to our booked table and provided with set meal menu nd a la carte menu. We thought the set menu was a bit dull,soup , a choice of steak or cstuffed chicken breast for mains and a choice of 2 desserts all for $35. As a result we decided to order from the a la carte and I think this was our biggest mistake. We ordered garlic and herb bread with EVOO. 4 slices of very buttery garlic bread was served with a small bowl of olive oil, slightly weird. The mains were the real disaster. I ordered a slow roasted chicken breast served on sweet potato mash. What was presented was a very small skinless piece of breast fillet that was pan fried and then finished off in the oven - dry and flavorless, certainly not the succulent piece of roast chicken I was expecting. The side of vegetables that I ordered were virtually in edible overlooked almost beyond recognition. My husband ordered veal escalopes served with fettuccine, both of which were hopelessly over cooked - dry stringy veal and mushy pasta. The wine we ordered, the most expensive white on their list, was pleasant but the wine service very poor. I told the waitress that my chicken was most definitely not slw roasted and she said she would raise it with the chef. She did not come back to me, but when I asked when settling our account she said he said if it said slow roasted on the menu, then that was how it was cooked!

Give this place a miss, at least on a Sunday night or else settle for the reasonably priced, rather dull set menu! Perhaps the chef has Sunday night off .
I would recommend you go to Mary and Toms Greek Taverna, much better food and service and reasonably priced too.

• Visited April 2013