“Excellent stay in Coober Pedy”

Radeka Downunder Underground Motel & Backpacker Inn
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent stay in Coober Pedy”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed in Radeka's Underground Motel last week and it exceeded my expectations in every way.

The owner Martin provides a very warm and friendly welcome and is keen to offer suggestions on what to see and do in Coober Pedy. It was great to recieve this outsanding service after receiving snobby and rude service at Yulara (Ayers Rock). Martin takes great pride in his property and it is extremely clean and well presented.

I stayed in a underground room (6.5m underground) and it was the best sleep I had on my holiday. When it's 40 degrees above ground and 20 degrees below ground you'll understand why! The shared bathroom was very clean as well.

If I am ever back in Coober Pedy I would have no hesitation in staying here again. The town has so much to see and do and a trip out to the Breakaways and moon plain was fantastic - Martin offers these tours from the motel as well.

Congratulations Martin on your property and I wish you every success in the future, Phil.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank PhilUSA2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
NZ
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Living underground is an intriguing idea, so we just had to try it. We tried to get into the Hotel but couldn't so we ended up at Radeka, and we're glad we did. We got a warm welcome from Martin. The accom. we had was a separate room (with a door - unlike the dorms). The temperature underground stays about right all the time. One thing to be aware of is that there are thin partitions between rooms - we had a noisy family next door who were waking and talking throughout the night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank go_to_oz
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We broke down in the middle of nowhere, got towed into Coober Pedy, and Martin was the kindest host imaginable. Getting the car fixed was a saga, and we ended up having to stay 9 nights, but Martin made this bearable! Some complimentary drinks, and a tour, and even when it really dragged on, a free night! Also the most unique place I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Dorms are deep underground, but dark and quiet. Motel rooms are also underground but closer to the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ralph G
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at Radeka in July 2012. In total we had 8 adults & 6 kids in 4 rooms. We were all rapt. When we arrived Martin greeted us & made us all feel very welcome. He & all the staff were very friendly to us all. Our kids felt welcome!
The rooms are not huge but they are adequate & we all loved the uniqueness of them - we wanted the underground experience - so yes they're dark when lights are off, & there's vents so fresh air comes in. But outside was freezing, inside was a constant comfortable temperature.
Situated in the middle of town we were able to walk to shops, restaurants, post-office, tourist attractions, everything.
There is a common kitchen, which as travellers who camped everywhere else, we found great. It was clean, tidy & roomy.
Our rooms had ensuites but there is dormitory style accommodation & for those who choose this there is a 'common' bathroom. (We actually appreciated that because with 4 in our room it was great not to have to wait to use the bathroom - we could just duck up to the common.)
Overall we loved our stay. But don't underestimate Coober Pedy - you need 2 nights to really see the place. We LOVED it.

Room Tip: Main choice is private rooms or dorms. Dorms are deeper underground. Depends what you want your expe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Dot H
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at Radeka in Aug 2012 on the way from SA to Uluru. To us, the price is quiet reasonable considering it's in outback. Everything is overprice there. With $86/night, we stayed at underground room with share bathroom. The reception is friendly & helpfull. The room & bathroom is clean. The kitchen is also clean, but it has this weird smell, a mix between a chemical cleaner and foods. Don't try to do your washing there as the drier is not really dry your clothes completly. They do put a sign there, but I didn't expect it taking a lot of my $1 to dry 5 pcs of clothes & pants. At the end, I just lay them in my car, and they dried in the evening. They do have a hanging space, but I don't want to risk it getting stollen as we're planing to go on the tour.
One thing that we notice, the wall is really thin. I can even hear every word of the conversation that people who stay next to us clearly. Good thing, no one is snoring that night, otherwise we probably get trouble sleeping.
For a short stay, I think it was alright. I didn't really expect much at that price in the outback, so I get what I paid. One thing that I recomend is, do the full day or half day tour of Coober Pedy. Ask the reception at Radeka, he will gladly help you. My first impression of Coober Pedy when we arrived, the town look small & boring and I thought we will only stay a night and continue our trip to Uluru the next day. Well, we're wrong! The tour were amazing and we learned a lot about the Australia Outback. There's a lot of to see at Coober Pedy, and we end up staying an extra night there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mr-and-Mrs-Mack
Newcastleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed overnight in the Radeka Underground hotel as I was travelling from Alice Springs to Adelaide via Greyhound. I was warmly welcomed, the place was very well presented, clean, well equipped, brilliantly located and cheap. Definitely one of the most unique experiences I've had in Australia.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

To be very honest, the only areas in which this place scores is the location and the price. We stayed there recently while going on a drive from Adelaide to Uluru. As a norm, accomodation and food prices are a bit on the higher side in these parts so 85 AUD for a night is probably the cheapest option in Coober Peddy. But then again, there are other properties which are available at this price. When one reaches Coober Peddy, one has to keep driving on the road and one would find this place almost at the center of the town which is the second and the last positive aspect about this place.
Now for the property review, we booked this place after looking up for options online (for staying underground) and had booked a 4 bed room online for 2 of us (as they were being offered at the same price as the 2 bed ones) thinking that we could get more space. However, the owner of the place gave us a 2 bed room instead. Upon pointing our booking the owner (an old guy named Martin) simply said, why do you folks needs a bigger room anyway. The underground room in itself has nothing to write about. Thankfully I have never been on the wrong side of law, but if I ever do get caught, I would now know how staying in a prison cell would seem. There are no power outlets in the room, its just a small compact space with 2 beds and enough space for you to stand around & cardboard "walls" for partition. These "walls" are so thin that you would be able to hear even a whisper across the room. After switching off the only lights in the room there is pitch darkness with only a soft glow of light coming from across the corridor & a suction louver just at the top of your bed which makes a lot of noise (probably to keep ventilation) and that pretty much makes for your "underground" experience. At this price, we had to take the option of shared washrooms which again was a unisex one. They also have the showers and the loos altogether in the same compact space which as someone has earlier pointed, doesnt really make for a good experience. Coming back to the owner, when we asked if we could have a friend come in for sometime in the evening (we happened to bump into a mutual friend while walking in the city in the evening), Martin simply pointed at a direction and remarked "What does that say?" I didnt really understand his gesture but looked closely and saw a board saying that "Visitors are not allowed beyond this point." He then went on to say if we do find visitors in your place you would be charged a certain amount straightaway. For God's sake, it wouldnt have hurt if he would have just said that out aloud himself with some speck of courtesy or regards for his guests, but he was rudeness personified.
Take my advise, spend a few bucks more and give this place a miss. I heard later that our friend stayed at a hotel just opposite ours and had much better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple