“An enjoyable visit”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Coober Pedy
Newtown Vic Australia
“An enjoyable visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Pleasant and friendly hosts. Quiet spacious rooms and comfortable beds. Bathroom tight on space but very useable. TV clear but limited channels due your outback location. Wifi doesn't work in rooms due to thickness of walls. You are underground after all. However it works fine in the lobby. We had the continental buffet breakfast and what was on offer was excellent and good value. Can thoroughly recommend this property and we hope we can make a return visit sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room as they are closer to the lobby and front entrance.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Yes the rooms are underground- which is a cool thought and an experience. But for $185 per night, we were dis satisfied with the property. Theres no internet in rooms, the decore is straight out of a bric a brac shed, phone in room didnt work. I was appauled to see a zero pet policy as the motel owners let their 2x dogs and cat run around inside. Also their rooms are open when un ocupied so the dogs would go in the rooms- so I suggest if you have alergies to animals do not stay here. On booking on the phone we were told there would be plenty of parking for our trailer, this was not the case, reception was un attended and we were expected to interupt the church service next door to check in. I believe this is not appropriate for many reasons. Mini bar items were past used by. Wouldnt recommend, theres plenty of other underground accomodation, if your paying a premium you do expect a lot more than what this property offers. 3.5 star property... I think not, more like a 2 star, one star for the underground mine and one star cause there is a bed. 2/10

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

The Coober Pedy Comfort Inn was a highlight of our trip. Our two boys (10 & 8) loved staying under ground and exploring the passages, nooks and crannies of this fascinating motel that has been built out of the skeleton of an old opal mine.

Once we got over the slightly strange sensation of being underground - pleasant temperatures (~23 degrees compared to 30+ outside), no outside noise and lights on in the daytime - we really got into the swing of the Comfort Inn. The rooms are very large and surprisingly airy, with high ceilings. The corridors are double-height, so you don't feel claustrophobic at all. Best of all, there are no flies underground, making the younger members of the family very happy.

We were there in the low season, so our host Ben was keen to show the boys how to look for opals. He took us out to an area out the back that was part of the old mine, then pulled out his prospecting hammer and proceeded to chip away at the walls along some seams of opals. Most of it was "potch" (worthless clear opals), but it was great fun for all of us.

Free wi-fi internet access in the foyer was a great plus for checking up on emails.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Remo, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

We booked into the Comfort Inn for a 2 night stop-over, on our way to Darwin. I thought the kids would enjoy some time underground, especially when the temperatures were going to be around the 37 degree mark. They thoroughly enjoyed it and wanted to stay there for the rest of our month long holiday. Both of us adults also enjoyed it, as well. Debby was great....she is very proud of what her parents have achieved here.....and rightly so! I admit that I baulked a bit at the price, but after staying there, it was worth it. Debby loves the place, she loves the customers and makes you feel very, very welcome and goes out of her way to make your stay interesting and enjoyable. It was hugs and kisses when we left and was definitely one of the best highlights of our trip. I can't recommend the motel enough. I know that we will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Swannanoa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I arrived in Coober Pedy by air from Adelaide having booked the Comfort Inn Coober Pedy Experience for one night. I had forgotten there where no taxis in Coober Pedy and I hadn't booked a hire car. The airport staff called Debbie at Comfort Inn and she came to the airport to collect me. Service #1. After showing me my room - underground and interesting.and tidy and clean, Debbie then drove me to a local restaurant (John's Pizzas - excellent) saying to ask them to cal her when I ws done and she would collect me again. Service # 2 and # 3.

The whole 24 hour sin Coober Pedy was made so much more special because of this highest level of customer service I have ever experienced.

I rate this stay one of the better ones during my week around remote Australia

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
NZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

The beauty of living underground is shown in all its wonder in this Motel. Having the little history blurb in the folder was a great touch. Seeing the machine marks in the roof and walls was amazing. Despite having lived in the South Island of NZ during the Christchurch earthquakes, I had no issues staying the night underground. Having the darkness made for such a great nights sleep too and as others have noted, the umbrellas are fantastic. It was a great place to relax and to be invited to wander around was something that made us feel so welcome. I took lots of photos and found myself very fond of the resident skeleton.
The bathroom was clean and did have a great range of toiletries but unfortunately previous guests had removed the contents form some of the boxes and left them empty. A pity housekeeping hadnt picked up on this, but I wouldnt expect them to open every box every day to check that a cheeky guest hasnt taken the contents. On that note, I am extremely grateful to have had the shaving kit available to me.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tounga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We arrived in Coober Pedy after dark with a baby and a long drive from Adelaide. The lonely road into town was littered with burnt out cars, and we were quite nervous, locking our car doors as we arrived in town. Once we found the Comfort Inn however, we breathed a big sigh of relief. It is away from the main street, and we were concerned about our loaded up car and trailer beibg broken into as there were locals hanging around the main street. The hotel was only a 2 min drive from the main street, but out of the way so we had no trouble at all. The owner was incredibly friendly, bubbly and helpful at 930pm, we felt very welcomed and comfortable. It was almost like being at home. The room was very clean, huge and had great facilities. It was so much fun to stay underground too. The only small negatives were the shower pressure (I was just so impressed to have a bathroom in what was an old mine!) and some Mosquitos had come in to the room from the (very welcoming) open front door. We had no time to stop in the morning as we were headed north, but the hotel is situated right next to the Old Timers Mine and the Big Winch lookout so I felt we had a Coober Pedy experience with limited time, plus the hotel has its own outstanding collection of opalised sea shells on display, and opal seams in the room walls! This was the most expensive hotel in Coober Pedy on the website we booked ($185) but definitely worth the extra money. Safe, friendly, comfortable and great location - and really special staying underground!

• Stayed March 2012