“Brilliant!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I've been to Hotaru once before and I'm sure I don't remember it being this good?
I went to Hotaru on Saturday night with my partner and we were not disappointed. It was a fantastic dining experience from the mouth watering tuna sushi, to the tempura and don't forget the amazing teppinyaki rice and squid.

When you go here, make sure you order the green tea ice cream, it's the best I've ever had, and it's a generous serve too!

Seriously excellent stuff!

1  Thank chocolatekara

Reviewed September 11, 2011

I frequent this place quite often , and its just getting better and better , so Im compelled to write this review . Its a lovely japanese restaraunt on gouger st , just past the morphett st intersection.
Firstly the staff are great, theres a traditional Japnese greeting when you walk in the door .
Orders are neatly written and read back to you , and they are happy for BYO wines.
I love the sushi /sashimi here, especially the boat . And the waitress took the time to explain each piece of fish and how it was done.
The sake is properly poured for you , and there are a few sakes to choose from .
The edamame are served hot, and perhaps are the best in adelaide .
The gyoza are very nice and remind me of eating them in Koppabashi st in Tokyo .
The teppan is over in the back corner of the restaruant , and i really must recommend 2 dishes - teppan sashimi grade scallops and salmon . Superb. There is a good selection of asian beers as well. The toilets are clean .Its a great place to come late on a friday night which I do quite often after finishing a late shift at work .
Keep up the good work Hotaru !

1  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed March 5, 2011

5 Star in all areas.. I've been to every Japanese restaurant in Adelaide and have looked no further than Hotaru. The staff are friendly, service is prompt and the food is to die for. Dont go past the blue fin tuna belly sashimi!!

2  Thank Emily_eats_out
Reviewed January 9, 2010

As we eat a lot of sushi we were pretty keen to eat Japanese but not sushi. Hotaru does have plenty of sushi & sashimi but also a pretty extensive a la carte menu. We had the roast eel and the chicken teppanyaki. Both dishes were a good size and tasty - the chicken was delicious and came with three different dipping sauces. The pickles were fantastic! The service is very friendly and pretty efficient (we were in a bit of a hurry).

Although this is a bit of a walk down Gouger Street it's quite popular and I would recommend booking on a Friday or Saturday night.

Reviewed May 31, 2009

highly recommended absolutley loved the tenderloin & barra both beautifully cooked & presentation excellent

good value for money too

1  Thank issey0121