“What a difference a day makes!”
Review of River Cafe

River Cafe
Ranked #85 of 1,720 Restaurants in Adelaide
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had dined at River Cafe on four previous occasions (always on a Saturday) and have always enjoyed the food, ambiance and, in particular, the service. However, we went with some friends on a Wednesday night, and you would think we were dining at a very different restaurant. The service, whilst friendly, was slack and the food mediocre. Will be back (although not in a hurry), but will ensure we go on a Saturday night!

1  Thank Rob5104

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I went to the River Café with a girlfriend. Thought it looked a bit pricey compared to our usual café catch up but as we used the discount from the Entertainment book we justified the expense.
Both settling on the same mains; Chicken Breast — filled with mascarpone & marsala figs, red rice & almond pilaf, pancetta & a tarragon sauce. What a fantastic dish. Beautiful to look at, sorry I didn’t take a pic but I couldn't wait to dig in! Each of the elements could’ve been enjoyed alone as a side plate but together they combined, creating a very generous and delicious feast
Usually I wouldn't indulge in desert for lunch but just had to sample the Chocolate Nemesis — A chocolate cake served with salted white chocolate caramel & raspberry ice cream. So very glad I did. An opulent delight which we shared, for the sake our waistlines.
Friendly staff, and a lovely view over the River Torrens, with sunshine streaming in through the expansive windows.
I will certainly return soon. Well Done!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Pre dinner drinks by an enclosed log fire, great atmosphere. The view of the Torrens at night with the lights of Adelaide in the background is special. Excellent service and a good variety of choices on the menu. The wine list is also quite extensive and reasonably priced. The restaurant also allows BYO. We celebrated a special occasion with friends and the River Cafe Torrens was a perfect choice.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The food was excellent, with large portions. The service was good from all the staff. The restaurant itself is in a wonderful position and i look forward to returning in daylight when we can appreciate the view available.

1  Thank deborah128
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

The River Cafe is a good name. It is a glass fronted building literally on the river with a view of the city. Great location. The River Cafe is downstairs and Red Ochre directly above in the same building. I went with my parents for lunch and we ate the Festival of Food voucher. This gives a taster starter and a main course for a fixed price. As my mother mentions in her review, we just drank water and were not encouraged to order anything more. Staff bought jugs to the table without being asked and I thought service was good. The balsamic vinegar served here is the best I have ever had. The Warm bread, vinegar and olive oil was sensational. The food was fine. Good quality and well cooked. Maybe not cheffy enough for me - I want to be a bit more wowed than I was. Having just been to Red Ochre upstairs, I preferred their slightly fancier cooking. My mother, preferred River Cafe. Maybe try them both ! There is nothing not to like about the River Cafe, great location, decent food (although you will need to order sides with the main courses) and I thought a little on the expensive side. I would reccomend if not rave about it.