“Good, but not that good”

Wasai Japanese Kitchen
Ranked #124 of 1,739 Restaurants in Adelaide
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

At the recommendation of a colleague a group of my work mates went out to dinner at the Wasai. We eventually decided on a banquet for 6. Now, the menu talked about a menu for 4 and the waitress at first suggested that banquets came only in lots of 4... We found this hard to believe but went on to order alternative dishes, when the waitress came back and said yes we could have a banquet for 6... shortly after, the food started rolling out and there was plenty of it! There was plenty of variety, but i wonder about the overall quality of the food. It seemed a little mass produced to me and while it was tasty, it lacked the feel and taste of authentic Japanese food. We did have a good time and the atmosphere was great for a work dinner.

2  Thank conatus

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have previously read and heard that Wasai has the best Japanese food Adelaide has to offer. Based on other readers' reviews, I saw that it is advisable to make a booking prior to going as it is mostly always full with people. We tried the sashimi which was extremely fresh and absolutely melts in your mouth. The soft shell crab roll is also a must-try if u love soft shell crabs. Nearly every dish we tried there tastes superb. Food is fresh and well prepared. It was a little pricey for us as tourists but if u are a local, it might be just rightly priced. If i have the chance to be in Adelaide again, i would definitely visit Wasai again!!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I don't know why I waited so long to have dinner here, it's fabulous! Warm friendly service, really great affordable food, cheap wines, great selection of sake. Try the specials they're fab! Can't wait to get there for lunch! Thanks wasai for a lovely dinner!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The restaurant is down a side street off of main street, Gouger. The decor feels bare and wide open like a cafeteria. A drink bar sits in the middle of the floor, but no sushi chefs are in sight. The waiter took a few tries to get my order right but he double-checked before leaving the table. Prices are comparable to other sushi joints in Adelaide. The foods comes out quickly with nice presentation. Nigiri portions are generous and the food is fresh.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I adore Wasai. I can always count on it for fresh, beautiful sashimi, and the range of sushi and other dishes is exceptional. Nothing is dull, it's always filling, and they are so accommodating. I've been here in big groups, regular groups, as a couple (most often) - the service is always friendly, prompt and helpful. My vegetarian partner never feels left out in terms of menu range; in fact, it's one of, if not The best, Japanese restaurants for vegetarians that we've visited. No need to worry about bonito flakes or fish sauce etc sneaking their way into a vego dish. As for me, I once tried to eat a whole (small) sushi/sashimi 'boat' by myself, just because I love their food so much. This is not recommended, as even the smallest boat is way too filling for one person! I would have given it 5 stars except that we often want to go on a Monday (when it's closed), and the green tea is the powdered type, which I can't stomach (or understand - everything else is of the highest quality). The atmosphere is pretty casual, but I love that it's unpretentious. My friends know that if they ask where I want to go for dinner, the answer to expect is "Wasai, of course!".