“Better than the reviews I have read”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mesa Lunga - CLOSED

Mesa Lunga
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Mesa Lunga is a lively Spanish restaurant and bar focusing on delicious tapas treats, wine and cocktails. Along with our regular menu, the kitchen's daily specials are all about using wonderful local produce to serve dishes you just want to eat. Next door is our Sangria Bar which lists over 30 different types of Sangria - perfect for that pre or post dinner beverage.
Melbourne, Australia
“Better than the reviews I have read”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Here is the interesting thing. My Partner and I were in Adelaide over 5 days for business and to attend a friends wedding. Come Sunday night in Adelaide and unless you want to eat basic Italian pizza, there is very little to choose from in the NE of the town (Rundle street area) Even the Exeter Hotel closes it's kitchen for the night!. After looking around on the web to find somewhere open, I was recommended to try this place (by another restauranteur who wasn't opening). After a short taxi trip, we were greeted by friendly staff and seated at one of the usual long tables. The food was tasty, varied and served hot and prompt. No problems at all. If there was any criticism, it was a dimly lit environment and the menus are printed in light font on a white patterned sheet of paper. Nothing the light from an iPhone wouldn't fix, but I am one of those people that find it offensive to have a mobile phone on at the dinner table. Old fashioned I might be, but sorry, I am not interested in hearing someone else's daily trivia whilst enjoying my dining experience. The wait staff were helpful and pleasant and now reading these other reviews I am surprised at the comments made. We found the whole experience very pleasant and as for value and cost? even getting a late night snack these days almost requires re-mortgaging the house. I think we had all our dining needs satisfied and at a price I was prepared to pay for the quality of the food and service. Thank you ladies and staff at Mesa-Lunga, we will return on our next visit to Adelaide.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank GregJohnOz

Brisbane, Australia
“At least the food was served promptly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I got here before the restaurant opened but I had already decided I wanted to eat here so I hung around for the ten minutes until 6pm when they were supposed to open. Unfortunately they didn't open dead on 6pm and I waited another 6 minutes before someone decided to come open up the front door (mind you, they had lost about 3 groups of potential customers by then). The wait person who opened the door was extremely rude, just swung the door partly open and walked away. I then went in and was about to sit down when I was equally rudely approached and moved to a table in the corner (out of the way?)

I wanted quick and easy food and to get home asap but I sat there and sat there and nobody approached to give me a menu. I ended up getting my own menu, made sure I knew what I wanted and proceeded to order as soon as someone finally approached.

I ordered 2 x leek and cheese croquettes ($3.90 each), 1 x crab sandwich ($3.90), patatas bravas ($9.00) and seared tuna ($15.50) - the seared tuna was the whole reason I was here. I LOVE a good seared tuna

Anyway, I was advised that the leek & cheese croquettes were unavailable and they tried to give me a ham &cheese substitute. But, as I don't eat ham, I had to choose other dishes. I decided to add another crab sandwich and I was persuaded to ordered the garlic mushrooms ($12) despite my misgivings

The verdict - the seared tuna was just AWFUL. I tried valiantly to eat some of it but it was just not seared tuna as I know it. It smelled a bit "off" and tasted just dreadful. I left most of it and moved on to other dishes. The patatas bravas were very nice. But what's not to like about patatas bravas? The crab sandwiches came out with little crab legs and shell sticking out ..... First thoughts "eek" but verdict "delicious". The mushrooms came out when I was almost finished so, as I thought, they were totally superfluous and a waste of $12

Star of the show was the little crab sandwiches. They really were delicious. The rest of the meal, apart from the potatoes, very ordinary and a waste of money.

I would like to come back here with a group of friends. I think it is one of those restaurants that lone diners are just not welcome and I think the experience would be much nicer with a group of friends

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank BrisCaz
Emerald
“Great meal and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We went here on a Tuesday evening for dinner - we were considerately seated at the end of the 'long table' to accommodate our pram and the service was speedy and attentive. We had tapas (prawns, capsicum stuffed with rocket and dressed in balsamic, patatas bravas and croquetas) and a pizza - all of the dishes were excellent and the Spanish rose we drank was also very good.

• Visited March 2014
Adelaide
“Great food, great sangria, ok service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

This place was introduced to me by one of my friends and since then I've introduced place to many of my friends. First time when I visited this place I was at the sangria bar and was very impressed by the varieties of sangria. Then I took my workmates and was blown away by the tapas. Over there my all time favourite is the fried soft shell crab sandwich or as they say "Bocadillo de cangrejo". My next in line favourite is "Chipirones fritos" or fried squid.
I have visited this place in weekdays evening as well as weekend evenings and seen a difference in service level. Weekdays evenings are much more relaxing and fast whereas in weekend evenings I had to wait for at least 30 minutes to get the food served. Once they forgot to serve me one of the orders and closed the frier and offered us a pizza on-the-house. But pizzas are not their specialty I would say. I had bad and good experience over there but overall the food is really good which takes me back again and again to Mesa Lunga.
A piece of advice, if you visit this place, you must taste the Bocadillos but for churros, take a couple of steps down the street to a Churros place instead of having it here. Also avoid visiting this place in Friday evenings as it is really chaotic. A nice and quiet weekday night at Mesa Lunga won't massively affect your next day work and trust me it is worth!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank IM0223
Adelaide
“Lack of service - walked out!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

My partner and i walked into Mesa Lunga, on Thursday night. First, we were greeted without a smile by the waiter. When we asked where we might be able to sit, the waiter abruptly advised that we can sit at the bar only, so we requested a table outside. Our request was met with a nod only. The waiter then threw the wine list on a random table outside with no verbal communication whatsoever. The waiter continued to collect our menus from the station out the front and then placed them in front of us, once again without saying a word.
Noticeably irritated, i asked "is this the food menu?" to which he responded 'yep' and walked away. In response, my partner and i also walked away... Without ordering.

I can guarantee that the amount we would have spent, would have paid this particular waiter's wage for his shift. I hope the owner will hear of this type of behaviour and address the staff. It is not fair on the establishment for this lack of service to go unnoticed. The waiter lost the business alot of money with his actions and displeased some very valuable and loyal clientelle.
We have been to Mesa Lunga at least 15 times in the past 12 months. Usually we meet friends or the two of us will spend a number of hours in Sangria Bar. Needless to say, we have spent ALOT of money at Mesa Lunga in the past and it is not acceptable to treat customers so poorly.

We were dressed casually and i feel this may have contributed to the lack of interest. An important lesson for the staff - you can never tell who is going to spend money and who isn't, so don't be assumptive. Treat everyone the way a waiter should. Courteously.

• Visited March 2014