“Off day maybe?”

Gaucho's Argentinian Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 1,668 Restaurants in Adelaide
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Australia's pioneering Argentinian restaurant, Gaucho's has created a passion for the char-grill and to this day is recognised as one of Australia's best.
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

After wonderful things from this place decided to venture out and try it.
We arrived there for lunch they were out of a few menu items. Which was fine we were there for the steak. The customer was service was average for what you expect to receive in such a pricey restaurant. The dishes don't come with sides. This is separate and are not enough to feed a grown adult. Out steak did not seal the deal for us though having tried other Argentinian restaurants around we were not impressed for the price paid which was upward of $300 for 2people. Now I don't know how long that oily steak was marinated for but the taste was not all it was talked up to be. Maybe it was just an off day for them but overall was not impressed enough to return in a hurry.

2  Thank Quirky03

Reviewed June 18, 2014

This was our first and will most probably be our last visit to Gauchos. We went as part of a group celebrating a birthday. Not having eaten there before we were hoping to have some guidance with regard to the dishes. That did not happen! The service was almost non existent and when we did find a waitress she managed to chip and crack a glass while placing a bottle of wine on the table and probably would not have replaced the glass had we not insisted. The meals were overpriced and with no vegetables included - they had to be ordered as side dishes - again we were not advised of this by the staff. My meal, one of the specials arrived and I am sure it was meant to be an entree but again I was not advised of this or any details when ordering. I felt the experience left a lot to be desired and fell way short of what should have been offered given the prices charged. Wouldn't recommend it

4  Thank Gill R
Reviewed June 12, 2014

As a person who has been in the hospitality sector, and chef'd in restaurants, and had my own (3) establishments, it is rare that I will order steak in a restaurant- as I am usually disappointed.
We were recommended Gauchos when we were in Adelaide, and when we couldn't get in the night we wanted we immediately made a booking for the following night. This place was great, casual with switched on service, and on a Tuesday night 3/4 full!! The menu was well sized and lots of meat options, well that's what we were after! The steak was perfect, medium rare, rested perfectly and tasty as- side of vegetables were perfect, recommended wine was perfect- yes there is a god!!! And it all begs the question why do so many restaurants struggle to get this combination right? Its so simple, but perhaps not as easy as the professionals make it look.
If you want the cheapest steak in Adelaide you wont get it at Gauchos. At Gauchos you will get the best steak in Adelaide.

1  Thank Mal G
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The lobster was charred undercooked and served cold. The steak was charred and burned. The manager did not acknowledge with my complaint and told me "well you ate the meal what is the problem" and explained that it was normal for a well done steak to be burned and charcoal.

5  Thank sam n
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Food was fantastic, I had so much trouble deciding what to order as it all sounded so good, and the dishes did not disappoint! Staff were absolutely fantastic - service was friendly and attentive without being annoying. My third visit here, looking forward to coming back when I'm next in town

1  Thank Kayt83