“Best restaurant in Adelaide”
Review of Chianti

Chianti
Ranked #11 of 1,739 Restaurants in Adelaide
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great location, excellent service and food to match. Excellent wine list and knowledgeable sommelier. Quality ingredients cooked in Italian style. I could have eaten everything on the menu. Scallops were delicious and the T-bone outstanding. The fact that the restaurant was packed with locals says it all.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is one of Adelaide's best. We had a degustation dinner in the private function room. The staff were fantastic, the wines matched with food were excellent and the food was sublime. Really great Italian food with an elegant twist. I wasn't paying so can't comment on the cost but I am sure it was worth it.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Chianti Classico offers consistently excellent modern Italian cuisine, with excellent service, sophisticated ambience and an exceptional wine list.

They're open for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week, as well as offering coffee between times.

It's a local institution with a loyal clientele.

Also, it's popular for special occasions, date nights as well as important business meetings.

The food is superb.

The staff are exceptional.

You can sit inside or outside- delightful on a sunny day :)

Highly recommended

1  Thank adelaidiantraveller
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My partner and I booked dinner at Chianti Classico as a special treat for my father's 72nd birthday, my parents were visiting Adelaide from Perth.

The dinner was the highlight of my parents' visit and we were greatly impressed by the superlative quality of the cuisine and service. My partner and I have visited Chianti Classico for the wonderful breakfast and were familiar with this restaurant as a first class venue for business lunches (it was highlighted as such in the October 2012 QANTAS magazine).

Our waitress was superb and great fun, being friendly, knowledgable and helpful making a great fuss of my father for his birthday and absolutely making his evening. The restaurant was almost completely full despite it being a Monday on a stormy evening. The always welcoming owner Maria Favaro was also in attendance ensuring we were looked after and that we did not lack for anything.

We started with Italian bottled water (tap water was also readily offered, putting the lie to the review from June 2011 by Coroona on tripadvisor which suggested that this restaurant tries to push expensive bottled water on you!) and an excellent Ashton Hills Salmon Brut Sparkling. We were offered bread and olives with oil for dipping and a delightful amuse bouche with a wonderful fresh lime flavour, complements of the house.

For entree my partner opted for the Fiori di Zucchine ($22.50) while I chose the chicken livers. My mother sampled the Arancini alla Boscaiola ($12.50) and my father had the special of spaghetti with vongole and gamberi. Naturally the servings are small and on the expensive side but the quality is of the highest order and mainly local produce. I was able to sample the zucchini flowers (filled with ricotta and pine nuts) - there were just two in this dish and I probably greedily would have wanted three- and I also sampled the risotto croquettes with wild mushroom , black truffle and parmesan. Both were equally delicious. My father raved about the cockles and prawns being impressed that there were at least 5 prawns in the entree serving.

For main course my partner chose the gnocchi with gorganzola sauce and toasted walnuts ($28.50). I again was able to taste a sample. The sauce was wonderful and the gnocchi were perfection. I have sampled gnocchi around Australia and in Italy; it can sometimes be a hit or miss dish, so I was very impressed by the superb offering from Chianti Classico. My mother chose the house speciality of Coniglio al Forno ($36.90) while my father opted for the fillet of local Black Angus beef, which was cooked perfectly to his liking. I chose the special of Porterhouse accompanied by asparagus and field mushrooms. Perfectly served medium rare. We also chose Patate al Forno ($11.50) - beautiful! - and Broccolini ($11.50) as contorni. One of our favourite Barossa reds, a 2007 Rolf Binder Vertias Bull's Blood, was the perfect accompanient to the meal. The only minor fault with the whole experience was that the break between the entree and main might have been a little long (but it hardly mattered as we were there to have a relaxed, enjoyable night) and the broccolini was a little cold.

After a small sorbet with a hint of prosecco we found room for dessert including a wonderful semi freddo accompanied by a first class Italian limoncello. Our waitress crafted a little birthday treat herself with chocolates and the dish decorated with a birthday greeting (in Italian) in chocolate sauce to accompany coffees.

Chianti Classico is certainly not a cheap dining experience, but it is fine dining without pretension with superb food and excellent service. The main courses are actually quite reasonable (generally $32 to $38), considering the quality, and that you can pay $25 or more for basic dishes at simpler cafes around Adelaide. I had to guffaw at the condescending recent review on trip advisor from bam1748 of Sydney saying Chianti Classico is "way overpriced considering it's Adelaide". Sydney and Melbourne are ridiculously over priced and struggle to match the produce quality found in Adelaide. I can easily recall so many times being served over-priced rubbish in so called celebrated dining establishments in Sydney or Melbourne. We are fortunate to enjoy quality local produce here in SA and reasonable prices. My partner has always had positive comments from interstate colleagues she has brought to Chianti Classico for business lunches or dinners.

We are eagerly looking forward to our next visit to Chianti Classico

1  Thank Scott P
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hour to get entree
45 minutes for mains
Staff were apologetic but used the excuse of the chef couldn't read my hand writing. They did offer a plate of truffles for taking so long but as we had been there from 7-10 and had only just had our plates taken away we just wanted to get out especially after they turned on the gas heaters to accommodate one patron who did not have a jacket. In such a competitive industry it surprised me that this restaurant was so full with this type of service. Or is this just the standard of restaurants in South Australia?