“Excellent food and sometimes excellent service.”
Review of Chianti

Chianti
Ranked #9 of 1,597 Restaurants in Adelaide
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Adelaide
“Excellent food and sometimes excellent service.”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a very popular Hutt Street establishment and has set quite a record for staying power on its corner, and this is because they serve excellent food. It's worth waiting for and you probably will have to wait.

Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I made a reservation for dinner, it's our first time in Adelaide and previous reviews did not disappoint. The service was great, the food was superb and rather reasonably priced too. Also tried some Italian wine from an impressive wine list. For some great Italian food, you cannot bypass Chianti Classico.

Adelaide, Australia
“Elegant atmosphere, good food, extensive wine list... but”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

There's no doubting the effort that goes into maintaining the food standards at Chianti Classico, a local and reliable Adelaide favourite for traditional Italian food.
The atmosphere is elegant and so is the food.
We ordered a couple of bottles of wine from the extensive wine list and while on the expensive side, there is something for everyone.
The kitchen sent out a complimentary tasting of pancetta and tomato frittatas with a basil pesto which were absolutely delicious! For entrees we ordered scallops (delicious), truffle arancini and Italian anchovies with bread, olives and caperberries. The arancini was described to me by my friend as "quite nice" but my partner was quite taken aback when the anchovies were presented on the plate still in the tin. Actually, he'd made the assumption that the anchovies would be house-made and traditional and he was a little disappointed that they weren't.
For mains my friends ordered the special gnocchi with rabbit and they loved it. The gnocchi is legendary at Chianti. My partner ordered the special fish; mulloway baked in wine and it was also delicious, although the waitress could have suggested that he also order a side dish to accompany it. It was quite a small serve of fish for a large man and came in a shallow broth with no additional salads or vegetables.
I ordered the crab linguine and it was both a generous serve and very tasty. They certainly do know how to make pasta at Chianti. Unfortunately it was a little cool but my partner was pleased when I could only eat half and gave the rest to him.
My only real complaint about the night was with the waitress assigned to our table. While she was friendly, she was heavy-handed in the way she went about serving our wine. The wine was kept at a distance to our table, ensuring she was the one to refill glasses but unfortunately she did this so quickly, in a manner I can only describe as "sloshing it into our glasses" and without checking to see if we even wanted our glasses filled. In the case of my partner, he didn't, because he was driving. However each time she came near our table she speedily splashed overly large amounts of wine into glasses; even if the glass was still full. This seems like a minor thing but when a person is driving, they like to be in control of the amount they are drinking and also, I prefer less in my glass, so that it stays cool, particularly on a 35 degree evening. It would have been appreciated if she had checked before refilling glasses.
That said, we still enjoyed the evening.

Rowville, Australia
“Great food and great service”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Relaxed atmosphere and it was not too far from the CBD so we walked there and back.

Visited January 2012
Moscow, Russia
“Very pleasant evening”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I visited Chianti Classico with my wife and another couple for dinner last evening. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

The food was of very high quality and presented excellently. For starters we shared some of the Tuscan bruschetta and meat and cheese plate, which was all excellent. For mains, three of us had the spaghetti "from the rocks" and were very impressed. Whilst not cheap, the portions were of a good size and high quality. My wife had the duck pasta, and this was also excellent.

The atmosphere in the restaurant for a Wednesday night was very good - we only made a reservation late that afternoon and were lucky to get a table as the restaurant was full.

Only hesitation for the evening was the service, whilst being good, was a little sloppy in places. For example, pouring the gents wine before the ladies, pouring wine across people, that sort of thing. Whilst we did not expect overly formal service, some of the basic etiquette points were lacking and for me personally, detracted from the overall experience.

Bill was $360 for 4 of us, and included 2 x $70 bottles of wine.

Overall, could recommend for a urine Italian meal.