“Always a winner!”
Review of Alphutte Restaurant - CLOSED

Alphutte Restaurant
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Alphutte Restaurant was built in 1983 and has been operated by owner Leo Schadegg since. Our consistently award winning restaurant has won 20 American Express awards, been entered in the hall of fame twice, and been voted by the SA dining public as the 'Best Restaurant in 2000'
“Always a winner!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Same old menu and décor... but it works for people who want to stay safe. Never had a bad meal here. Great Service and atmosphere if you want to have a conversation.

Visited October 2013

Mt Eliza, Australia
“Reliable comfort food”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We visited on a very hot Tuesday night and were relieved that the aircon was working well after a walk from the Crowne Plaza hotel further up Pulteney Street. At 7.30, the restaurant was about half full and only two other couples arrived later. Mainly an older crowd but there were two family tables. Very comfortable bentwood and leather/vinyl ? chairs and plenty of room between the tables although a loud-voiced, conversation-hogging woman at the next table of four detracted somewhat from the otherwise quiet ambience of the place.
This is old fashioned comfort food (for example, compared to Auge where we had lunch the following day) but we've been here before and know what to expect. The menu is heavy on meat and I really think of it as a Winter place but we were keen to return after an absence of about two years.
Following the martini disaster at the Crowne Plaza bar earlier in the day, I was reluctant to have my usual starter and opted for a G&T instead. She had her usual margarita and declared it to be good. Having already had a late lunch, she had the smoked salmon entrée and I had the avocado and prawn salad. Both always reliable and both were good. The bottle of chardonnay I had chosen from the fridge went very well with the entrees and main course. There's no wine list. Instead, you wander over to the "cellar" and the reds are in racks and the whites are in the neighbouring fridge. You then hand over the bottle at the bar and it's brought to your table. Bit of a different approach but it seems to work. Prices are well up there.
For mains, she had the lobster entrée and I had a main course version. We shared the obligatory potato rochsti which was very good but serves four. Even though I was very full, our very friendly and good-humoured waitress shamed me into eating a second portion of the rochsti after I'd made a fuss earlier about the entrée lobster being much too small for a big boy.
Dessert was out of the question and, based on the success of our starter drinks, we opted for cocktails instead of coffee. She had an espresso martini and I took a risk on a standard Tanquerray martini. Despite some nervousness from behind the bar, both were excellent so we had another each.
Given the cocktails and a pricey wine and a main course version of the lobster, the bill was over $300 but well worth it for the good food and lovely night. Our waitress politely refused our offer for her to take time off to drive us back to the hotel so we walked back in the stifling heat instead (not far enough to get a taxi). We'll be back to Alphutte on our next visit to Adelaide.

• Visited February 2014
“Celebration Dinner”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is the first time I have been to this restaurant. We were celebrating my husbands birthday with family .We were there mid week for dinner so parking was no problem . The leather chairs were very comfortable and the service very good. We went to the wine cellar to choose the wines.The menu selection was excellent and we started with the grilled scallops and the soup. Followed on by having the steak and I had the sweet and sour prawns, scallops, whiting and salmon which was delicious. Of course we had a serve of the special rosti . We all had something different for dessert sticky date pudding, chocolate profiterols and the chocolate doodle which was a pancake with sauce and icecream .
We ended up the evening with coffee. It was the worst coffee we have ever tasted it was just so weak and no taste at all. Overall it was very good food and good service and pleasant staff The restaurant is open Monday to Friday for lunch and dinner but It would be best to book as it was quite busy on the night we attended.

• Visited November 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“Amazing food, for over thirty years”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have dined at the Alphutte for over thirty years, and recently spent our 25th wedding anniversary there. Leo Schadegg has designed a menu that has endured the ages, including our favourites the Shellfish Ragout, Mushroom Buttons, or Scallops for entree and either Pork Filet with Tarragon Sauce, Trios Filet Mignons or the Steak Olympus for main course (although the presentation of these dishes haves changed over the years the great flavours have not!) - and although the menu is very meat based, I cant think of any dish that would disappoint. When dining, don't forget to also have the potato Rosti to accompany your food and a refreshing sorbet between courses - well worth it to refresh your palette. An extensive wine list complements the food well.

• Visited November 2013
Australia
“Good food and service in bizarre decor”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Had a late meal (9.30pm) which wasn't a problem. It is a Swiss restaurant and I had the venison, which was excellent, with mushrooms, beans and carrots. Dessert was a chocolate pudding with cream and ice-cream - tasty and obviously quite heavy. Bread was delicious. Wine selection was limited but maybe I had the reduced wine list. Plates were hot, service was efficient and attentive and food came quickly.

BUT the décor was bizarre. I get the Swiss theme but why a painting of a beach? Why Christmas-style lights? And why signed sports shirts of (I think) Roger Federer (yes, I know he's Swiss) with a long horn sitting above? The moulded wooden and leather chairs were comfy and stylish but the colour scheme and mish-mash of other things did my head in. I don't expect a fireplace and cow-bells but try to stick to a style.

And for some reason it appeared that nearly all the staff were Asian or Filipino. In itself that wasn't an issue as they were excellent, but it was an ethnic twist I didn't expect.

I would go back as the menu looked interesting, if a little too large, and the service was excellent.

Visited October 2013