“Suited us”

South Terrace Motel
Ranked #48 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Certainly not five star but it suited us and our needs. Close to where we needed to go. Rooms need a bit of attention (carpet had nails coming through them at the door of the bathroom). It was a bargain for what it offered.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Melanie
Thanks for reviewing your recent stay. I have reported your comments to maintenance for the necessary repairs. We are sorry this was not attended to prior to your arrival and have given a general reminder to all staff that reporting items for fixing is very important to us and especially so for our guest's comfort.
Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back next visit.

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed before in the Grand Chifley next door, but unfortunately it was booked out tonight. At present I can hear what is going on in at least three other rooms and the kids are woken every time someone in another room turns on a tap as the water screams through the pipes. Such a thin duvet on the main bed we're freezing, but there's not much time to think about how cold we are for all the yelling and noise on the balcony from other guests. I know it's cheap, but this is crazy. Not sure what the $100 bond is for; there's not mini bar or anything in which to inur expenses. If I didn't have other commitments in adelaide tomorrow we'd just pack the kids up and drive home. Won't do this again.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank 6duffs
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Hi 6duffs
Sorry we were unable to accommodate you at Grand Chifley Adelaide on this occasion. We are sorry also for the disturbances & inconveniences you experienced. We do have regular patrols of the complex however guest's experiencing undue noise at anytime are most welcome to call reception who will promptly deal with the issue as we also recognise the inconvenience such disruptions cause. We have already commenced rectifying some of the other points you have raised (replacement of and supply of additional blankets).
I invite you to call me personally at the hotel to discuss your stay and note your preferences at Grand Chifley for future visits so we do not disappoint again.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Well located, friendly and good value for money. Tram located close by to allow easy access to the Football or just a casual half hour walk to Adelaide Oval. Rooms were neat and tidy, staff always helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Damien (& what a great name)
Thanks for the review on your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and found our location suitable for your needs. The Free city tram is a great way to get to and from the football or city centre as you mention and when coupled with our free parking, adds up to some considerable savings when people stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Noisy plant kept me awake ovr 4 nights-Shower recess tinea haven-Bfast cold/wrong order-wifi entraps-overode access 2 own ph internet-pay for wifi or nothing-bed comfy!-parking/proximity to work/CBD only benefit-

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Dan L
Thanks for your valued feedback. I have passed your comments to the relevant departments for review and we have commenced rectifying the issues you have raised.
Our third party WiFi Internet Service Provider has a 24 hour helpdesk for guest's experiencing any issues with the network whilst staying with us. The helpdesk details are in each room and they are also able to assist with instructions on 'settings' and selecting a network in all portable devices and laptops.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I normaly stay next door in the Grand Chiffley, next door where you book in. Im in Adelaide for medical reasons almost monthly and when I cant stay with friends, I like a nice room and like the Grand Chiffley. I stayed here in the Country Comfort on June 26 becuase on this occasion I was on a tight budget and as the rooms were $40 cheaper and because we were going out for dinner and leaving early, so the cheaper option was choosen. I booked through Wotif and it did not state anything about a $100 depoit on my booking info. When I went over to the Chifley where you book in, I was greeted by the staff member and when he realised I was in "the slums" His attitude changed for the worse. He booked me in and asked for my debit card and without asking charged $100 to it as a deposit and didnt bother giving me a recipt. I was so angry and flustered I protested that it was not in my booking info and it was all the money I had, but he didnt care. Not thinking I left without demanding the recipt. I soon returned and asked for my recipt and demanded my $100 back. I have never been made to pay a deposit for staying at the Chifley so why there. I was told that a deposit was also charged at the chifley and I know that is wrong because I stay there. I asked to see the manager who was busy dealing with something back next door and I had to wait and wait... The manager with the same judgmental attitude gave me the same arguments and kept claiming that it was in the terms and conditions. This is all that the T&C stated "you will be required to provide a credit card imprint or equivalent at check-in to cover incidental charges". So explain this? I pleaded with the manager who didnt care and just wanted me gone. I kept asking how was i going to get by with no money? and why did I have to pay as it was false advertising.( I know the motel claim in other reviews to be correcting this but Wotif being a major booking site, you would think it would be done months later) I kept repeating my situation and standing my ground and to get rid of me the manager agreed to cancel the charge to my debit card and put it on my savings, so I could get it back in the morning and not 5 days later. I said I would not stay in either place aain and he just shrugged his shoulders as if he didnt care. I spent the night stressed, cashless and finding all the flaws in my room amplified. A squeeking noise in the fridge (we turned it off) No quilt on the single bed (lucky I had a blanket for staying in hospital the next day), mould above the shower are just a few.
The next morning I go back to check out and allowed an extra half hour expecting someone to go check our room and the lady who served us just checked me out and refunded my deposit whith no one checking the room. What was the point in the deposit as there was no mini bar and no one bothered checking my room? Why put a customer through all that stress, make their stay misserable just because they choose the cheaper place this time.
Im back in Adelaide next week and a 4 day stay next month. Ill be staying somewhere else from now on. I also told friends that stay in the chiffley not to stay either. They also have never payed a deposit. Despite the claim its been the norm for 6 years by the staff.
The staff at the chiffley where you book in are employed to serve both places and their attitude shows they couldnt care less about half of the clientel. Im not going to stay somewhere where you are treated well one week for staying in one place and treated like scum the next for taking the cheaper option.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank clareADS

Dear sarahmollymoo

Your experience is very concerning to us and I am sorry our staff have not explained the pre-authorisation (imprint) process as they have been instructed to and that your previous stays with us were unrecognised. I am sorry and apologise also that as a guest at any of our properties you were made to feel anything less than welcome as we greatly value ALL of our guests.

Our Front Office Manager and I are currently re-training our staff in all aspects of the guest check-in procedures including welcoming our guests, fully explaining the pre-authorisation process AND alternative payment options so people can then make an informed choice to suit their personal preferences.

The $100.00 deposit may be by an electronic imprint of credit card, EFTPOS or Cash and is a form of security for the hotel which then cover's any incidental costs during the stay (telephone calls, meals, beverages, personal shop items, minibar, etc). This is a requirement of staying at our property and is similar to most other hotels throughout the world.

I invite you to contact me personally so that we can gather the specifics of your stay and to further investigate your experience.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

have been staying here for around 20 years and have found service consistent and staff welcoming. While rooms are of average quality, the location is convenient for Adelaide CBD and within easy reach of transport.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This motel appears to be connected to another Hotel and is by far the poor cousin. The rooms are noisy from the air conditioning units in other rooms. The location is in a reasonable area but it is on a busy road therefor more noise. The buildings are old and are in need of refurbishment or rebuild would appear to be the best option.The room was serviced but only the bed made and towels folded cups were left used and complimentary items not replaced.2 nights were enough!!

Room Tip: Don't think there is one