“Checked in but didn't stay”

Country Comfort Adelaide
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had booked to stay here for 5 nights but we had travelled from Port Lincoln to stay in a bit of comfort in the city and were sorely dissappointed. We had our 18 month old with us so booked the family room. The first family room had a broken leg on the main bed so we moved upstairs. this room had a hole punched in the door (room 52 if someone wants to fix it).The decor was not changed since the hotel was built so it was very dated and by the look of the bed it also had not been changed, it was shaped a bit like a banana. Given we had travelled so far and i was already suffering from a sore back i decided the bed was too uncomfortable. After speaking with reception letting them know i had a bad back they informed me their were no other rooms available and so charged me for the night and we checked out.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Chris R
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Country Comfort Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hi Chris R
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. I am sorry we were unable to offer an alternative room when you advised us of the bed and you bad back. I have asked for a report of your bringing this to our attention from our Front Office team and have also asked Housekeeping to investigate the beds throughout the property to ensure they are up to standard. We do replace beds as necessary as our guest's comfort is important to us and is an integral part of our business.
Maintenance are undertaking repair of the hole in the door which was as the result of malicious damage from another guest. This room was originally placed Out Of Order however due to an oversight was then cleared for occupancy before the repair had been effected.
Chris, I invite you to call me at the hotel to further discuss your stay.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights, and for the $85 a night tariff it was a reasonable rate given the location and dated decor. Our bed was comfortable, parking was free, the location near to the tram stop (free fare from South Terrace to the city), and the reception staff friendly. The room was very basic, but given we only needed a room to sleep and change in it was sufficient for our requirements. We had to book fairly close to our stay over the Xmas period due to a family funeral, and were able to get our 2 sons and partners separate rooms as well, which was very helpful given the reasonable tariff. The pool area looked very clean and inviting (although we didn't swim during our stay). Would recommend for a quick overnight stay, but not if you're looking for comfort and style!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Valerie M
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Country Comfort Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Valerie M
Thanks for the review on your recent stay. We are sorry for your loss and the circumstance of your stay not more favourable.
We do try and keep our pricing affordable for a CBD property without compromising on cleanliness and comfort and we are pleased you found us satisfactory for your needs.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Adelaide.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Im not usually one to complain, and as money is tight i usually pick the budget accommodation over others, but won't be again!
I stayed here for 5 nights in total, with partner and two children, location is THE ONLY good thing about this hotel as it is close to tram service, playground for the kids and local shops etc.
It looked okay from all the pictures i'd viewed and the reviews i'd read, but i'd NEVER GO BACK there.
From the moment i walked in the Receptionist was an arrogant pig and wasn't welcoming atall. Cleaners cleaned room once during my stay, and replaced towels twice!
Top of the cupboard was completely covered in mouse poo, cobwebs everywhere, dirt and dust. There were cockroaches in the bathroom. Didn't even bother dining there or getting room service as the prices were ridiculous for a 'budget accomodation'
Would not recommend to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank smartin92
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Country Comfort Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear smartin92
Thanks for the review on your recent stay. We are very sorry and apologise for the unacceptable experience you have received at our property.
After reading your comments I was very concerned and personally inspected the room with a member of the housekeeping supervisory team - unfortunately we agree this room is well below an acceptable standard. I have immediately placed the room out of service until such time as it has been bought back to the standard required and approved by either myself or another member of management.
I have also personally conducted a random inspection of a number of other rooms throughout the property in light of this. I am pleased that these have passed our Standards testing, however I have noted that several had items which required further attention. These have now also been attended to.
We are committed to providing clean and affordable budget accommodation in the CBD and our housekeeping staff & supervisors have been made fully aware that incidents such as this are unacceptable.
To ensure that our Standards are consistently being met, we will be conducting more frequent and random check's outside of those scheduled with our contractors and to which our Standards Testing will be rigorously applied.
As stated previously, we apologise for your experience and the unacceptable standard of the room and I invite you to contact me at the hotel so as I may convey this personally.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

First off, I am one to stay in budget accommodation, I don't mind "dated" properties or tiny rooms, all I look for is a bed, bathroom and reasonably priced.
I chose this hotel over other budget accommodation (Motel Adjacent Casino, Wright's Lodge) as it was a $15 more a night and I was expecting a bit more piece and quiet (definitely did not get my extra money in thicker walls!)
The rooms were quiet large, dated, mold on the roof in the bathroom. There was also something black under the light covering in the main room.
My problem was the noise factor. We started off in the room beside the cleaner’s room. There was activity in the room throughout the night (even though reception told us that cleaners don't start until 5am). Maybe washing machines? Doors were slamming and you could hear guest using the stairs all night. At around 7am you could kids screaming, this was because there was a school that the motel backs on to. Oh dear, it was so loud, like generic children’s voices screaming, talking, playing (think of hearing 500 of your kids talking to each other!) I asked to be moved rooms (reception were nice, but did not like us asking - they probably have heard these complaints many times). The next room was located on the other side. It did remove the cleaning room noise and some of the kids voices but you could still hear your neighbours loud and clear, even with ear plugs in!
I would not recommend staying here, I even requested a quiet room when booking and to put us in the noisiest spot was like a big slap in the face. (I had read reviews about being put near the cleaning room prior).
Please select a different accommodation, you will thank me later :P

Room Tip: Pack your earplugs and request not to be near the cleaners room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CCstar14
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Country Comfort Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Celeste_14
Thanks for reviewing your recent stay. I am very sorry your experience was not as expected and have passed on your comments to the relevant departments for improvement.
We do our best to assist our guests with specific requests however sometimes, due to high occupancy and other operational reasons we are unable to meet all the desired outcomes.
I invite you to contact me personally at the property to discuss your experience with us. I am available Mon-Fri from 7.30am - 4pm and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Didn't expect much just a room and a bed. Comfortable enough and what you would expect from a motel. Checkin is at the chifely next door which was courteous enough although nothing outstanding. Had to negotiate some narrow stairs to the second floor, which after a late international flight was inconvenient but nothing more. Rooms are clean and comfortable with pay TV. Only complaint is that the coffee in the room was decaf .... So no coffee in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 3boyz
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Country Comfort Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Hi 3boyz
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I am unsure as to your comment regarding PayTV as we offer all free to air TV and several Foxtel channels including Foxsports, news, Discovery and others as well and all are complimentary.
We are sorry there was no full strength coffee in your room and have reminded housekeeping to ensure these are topped up daily when servicing the rooms - I can certainly understand your sentiments re decaf being an avid coffee lover.
I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to our property next time you visit Adelaide.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The room, poor in decor, was large and even had a second room so the kids could sleep separately. The beds were comfortable and the water was hot with plentiful towels. We used the pool and were able to make good use of the terrific kids park across the street. With Free trams into the city a short walk away all in all this place made for an affordable and enjoyable weekend away!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mandy S

Hi MandyS
I am pleased you and the family enjoyed your stay and thank you for telling others.
With the weather at last warming up our swimming pool will be a popular spot for our guests for sure and with the fantastic playground across the road (with pedestrian lights to ensure safe crossing) the kids are well catered for . The flying fox and "hurdy gurdy" are only recent additions to the playground but appear to be very popular.
Did you know there is also a gas BBQ provided by the council adjacent the playground? It is an ideal way to feed the family and enjoy the parklands whilst the kids play :)
We look forward to welcoming you all back when next you visit.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed in this establishment for just the one night, to attend a friends 50th birthday celebrations in the city. It was exactly what it claimed to be, a clean budget motel, with a fabulous location, and FREE parking. The room itself wasn't modern, but it was comfortable, and the basics were provided, which is all I needed for an overnight stay. I live and work in rural SA, but also have a house in the outer southern suburbs, but staying in his motel was cheaper and more convenient than catching a taxi. If you're looking for somewhere special to celebrate a birthday or anniversary, look elsewhere, if you want a clean, convenient comfy bed, this place is great. The front end staff member on check out was really friendly, and professional (Warren). Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank BobbieMc64

Hi BobbieMc64
Thanks for sharing your recent experience at our property and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay.
Country Comfort Adelaide is a great place to stay for the many reasons you have mentioned and we are also very fortunate to have the restaurant, bar and room service options as provided by our sister property Grand Chifley Adelaide, for our guests to utilise.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you need to stay in town :)