See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 29, 2011

First, let me say I had no trouble with my room key! This property has changed hands several times over the past ten or fifteen years so while the rooms are not shabby--they've been very well kept up--they are dated. The doors are very heavy and when released, slam with a ooud noise which reverberates through the whole complex, so an early departer can wake everyone else up. The ground floor rooms are also subject to vehicle and rollerboard suitcase noise from the parking lot. The showers were WONDERFUL; the old full-flow type with disc heads that make one feel one is standing under an adjustable-temperature waterfall. Reception is at the Grand Chifley next door and the staff there was very friendly and helpful. Public transportation and several restaurants are within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms would probably be somewhat less noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Rednecktraveller
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Dear Rednecktraveller

Thankyou for choosing to stay at Country Comfort Adelaide and writing a review on your experience with us.

I understand your comment regarding the heavy door and closers however these are necessary to comply with fire regulations for this property. I have asked maintenance to check if there is any means to lessen the sound though whilst still allowing us to fulfill our obligations and ensure guest safety.

Your comments have been passed along to our maintenance and housekeeping teams who take pride and make every effort to ensure the property is well presented and maintained - not always an easy task with an older property as you mention.

Thankyou again for your comments and the review. We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed 3 nights, rooms JUST, reception staff JUST, I had a bottom floor room in the middle of a group of elderly, whom happened to rise with the birds & loved to congregate out side my room & discuss what the plan was for the day!!! Not the fault of the establishment but I question why all these people are not put in rooms next to each other???? Would I stay there again? Most likely, it was cheap for city accommodation, & clean ...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Dear Ceojo

Thankyou for choosing to stay at Country Comfort Adelaide and writing a review. I am sorry for the disturbance caused by other guests during your stay.

Generally speaking, when several guests book together or we are notified that they are travelling with others we do try and locate them in close proximity to each other. Unfortunately this may not always be possible due to existing room occupancies.

Should you experience a similar or any issue in future which disturbs your stay, please do not hesitate to contact our reception team for assistance, including a room move to a quieter area of the complex should you wish.

We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay with us.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights on our drive across australia from perth to melbourne.

the motel had two floors of accomodation we had a ground floor room but if we stayed again we would ask for a top floor room as kids runnin up and down the balconys was quite noisy.

the room was huge, had a queen bed and a single bed asell as a table and chairs, fridge, and tv. the room was very clean and the curtains were excellent kept all the light out!

there was a small pool which was good for cooling down and relaxing after a big drive, they also provided free towels for the pool area.

minor point the pool was next to the road, but it had bushes and trees so you couldn't see the traffic just hear it but it didnt bother us.

it was only a short walk to the cbd and we walked to explore the city everyday we were there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank craigy_lee
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Dear Craigy_Lee

Thankyou for choosing to stay at Country Comfort Adelaide and providing valued guest feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry you experienced noise issues from other patrons children and apologise for any inconvenience due to this. We have reminded staff to ensure regular walkarounds of the property are done to better manage this in future.

It is also possible to catch a free tram to assist people in travelling to Rundle Mall and North Tce, although as you mention the walk is approximately 20 minutes and allows time to look at some of the wonderful architecture our city has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our property when next you stay.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

The Country Comfort motel has 2 sister hotels next door. One of them acts as reception for the motel. I have now stayed in all 3 due to the location and nothing else. My last experience, at the The Country Comfort was the worst and the last straw.

Firstly as others have said, the room was pretty awful. 4 large depressing neon strip lights are the main lighting in the bedroom and the back of the bathroom door was rotten and falling to pieces.

It gets worse.
Despite my objection and their promise not to pre-charge my card for more than the cost of the room, they still did so. When I asked them why they wanted to pre-charge my card for more than the cost of the room, they told me it was because I might eat something or use the telephone, and then run away the next day.
Being treated like the lowest common denominator is no way to treat a repeat customer, so I ate nothing of theirs, used my own phone and made sure there were no extras on my bill, as a matter of principle. Way to go Chifley: good way to get your customers not to spend anything with you: just get their backs up.
The next day the receptionist informed me that they had charged my card for more than the cost of the room despite being promised that they wouldn't do this AND that they were now going to charge my card for a second time, meaning the total charge for more than the cost of the room would remain pending on my bank account for nearly a week. So for one week they effectively charged me twice for the room and for some extras I never had: NICE.

In my experience most of the Chifley staff treat the customers as if they are doing you a very big favour in allowing you to stay in their hotel. They seem to believe they are a Savoy when they dont even get close to a Holiday Inn. Stuck-up, rude, unhelpful and patronising and they don't deserve the business.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Dougal250
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Dear Dougal250

Thankyou for staying at Country Comfort Adelaide recently and writing a review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

Our housekeeping and maintenance teams have been asked to assess the complex and advise of any doors such as you described and undertake the necessary repairs.

Whilst I understand your comments regarding the Credit Card, it is hotel policy to pre-authorise on arrival the amount for the accommodation and a nominal amount for any extras. In the case of prepaid bookings through a third party website, only the nominal amount for extras is pre-authorised. Upon departure, this transaction is then 'completed' and any monies owed to the hotel for your stay are directed to us and the balance released. These two (2) transactions are linked by way of an approval number given by the card merchant at pre-authorisation and then re-entered by us on completion effectively making this a single transaction.

I apologise that the balance or frozen amount may take several days to be released, however this is beyond the control of the hotel.

As the variance allowed by the banks & credit card merchant between the pre-authorisation and the completion process is minimal we seek to find balance that will least inconvenience our guests whilst protecting our financial interest and settlement of any charges due to us.

I am sorry that our staff did not explain this to you sufficiently on checkin and that you felt judged in any way which was not intended or condoned by us. I have asked our Front Office Manager to remind staff of the correct process to follow in this matter.

I am also disappointed that your description of our staff and your interactions with them is not consistent with Constellation Hotel Group standards and I believe, as generally displayed by our team.

I welcome you contacting me personally to further discuss your experience and thankyou again for bringing valued feedback to our attention.

Reviewed June 14, 2011

The Motel is directly opposite the South Park of Adelaide and quite roomy. The town center can be reached by foot or by the nearby tram. Free parking outside the room was great for us, as we had to pack before returning home at the end of our vacation in Australia. When we arrived there was a problem with the warm water, but we were able to shower in the hotel next door until it was fixed later in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alvinjoel
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at South Terrace Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Dear Alvinjoel

Thankyou for staying with us recently and providing a review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and apologise for the lack of hot water on your arrival (due to a boiler issue which was fixed on the day).

We believe also that even though it is a moderate property it is truly great value for the CBD at a budget.