“Average”

Sage Hotel Adelaide
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here late Jan to early Feb 2013 and found it to be disappointing. Good: Free parking, 24 hour front desk service, a nearby pool, excellent turn down service, shower and bath, surprisingly wide room, wide screen tv and a great selection of morning breakfast items. Bad: Our balcony was covered in bird poo (really covered), the air conditioner was faulty, Chad from the front desk was VERY rude, there was no storage space unless you brought hangers, our door kept malfunctioning and we had to get maintenance up there no less than three separate times, tv didn't have half the channels promised. This would have been alright except for the few times we were treated as little more than a nuisance by some select staff members.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brittany W
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Brittany w
Thanks for the review on your recent stay with us.
I am disappointed and concerned with the points you have raised regarding your stay and invite you to contact me personally so I can conduct an investigation.
I am sorry and apologise also that you felt you were a nuisance when reporting things in person whilst staying with us. We greatly value all feedback and when something is not right, we value the opportunity to be able to correct this at the time. Staff will be reminded in this regard and Management's expectation of due process being followed.
I look forward to receiving your call and speaking with you personally.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The property is very adequate for a short stay in Adelaide. It is recommended as it is reasonably price, it offers free parking and it is more comfortable than comparable properties.

1. Rooms: surprisingly large, and wide. Two big double beds, large TV and a decent bathroom. It isn't luxurious but it is pleasant enough.

2. Location: You are not in the Adelaide CBD. But you are likely to have a car in Adelaide if you want to move around so it would not matter. If you are, however, on foot, you may want to try a property right next to Rundle Street. However, unless that is your situation, you should not because this hotel is appropriate, offers good value, and is just 3 minutes by car to the CBD.

3. Internet: not free like most hotels in Australia where price gouging by all hotels for internet access is sadly the norm. If you are in Australia for a few weeks it is best to buy yourself a router with any telephone company as it is the only way of getting internet in Australian hotels (unless you accept paying confiscatory prices). If you are an Australian resident, you should have one or use your IPHONE hotspot as a substitute.

I would recommend the hotel for a short stay in Adelaide without reservations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EZT

Dear EZT
As a TOP Reviewer with 155 reviews, your comments and rating on your recent stay with us are greatly appreciated and valued - Thank you.
For additional space we also offer rooms with either a King or Queen bed only and for the ultimate in luxury and space at our property, we have several spa suites. The suites have a seperate lounge area to the bedroom, kitchenette with microwave, sink, Nespresso "Pod" coffee machine and a range of pods, as well as a range of luxury tea's. A "Spa pamper pack" is also supplied when purchasing the "Amore" (Love) package, as well as breakfast delivered to your suite.
I am pleased to also report we are currently reviewing our Wifi Internet arrangement with the third party supplier. I am hopeful an announcement regarding reviewed pricing, useage and other options will be made shortly.
Thank you again for your review and the recommendation of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.
kind Regards

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed on Level 10 and overlooked the parklands. A very comfortable hotel. It is just peacful there on this side of town. You can catch the tram uptown - it is one block away. Only trouble was ther is limited parking and sometimes difficult to get a spot

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bareberger
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear bareberger
I am sorry and apologise I have not responded to your review sooner. Your comments are most welcome and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay - our location overlooking the South parklands is indeed a peaceful outlook.
Parking can sometimes be difficult in our free carpark, however with two additional sister properties adjoing ours, an off street park can generally be found on most nights.
Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and my husband and I are pretty fussy. We had stayed the previous 2 nights in a hotel on North Terrace which turned out to be the seedy side of town so it was a welcome relief to move over to the other side and book into the Grand Chifley. We were on the 10th floor with a wonderful view over the parkland (the only downside to this room was that it was on the western side of the building meaning we got the very hot afternoon sun on our balcony). If you like to enjoy a wine at the end of the day on your balcony, get a room on the east side. The room was nicely furnished with a lovely comfy king bed. The staff were exceptional - both friendly and professional. We thoroughly enjoyed eating in the restaurant and the linguine was to die for! Keep in mind when booking that there are two buildings - one 11 floors and the other a smaller 2 storey building. The bigger one has the balconies. There are no chairs on the balconies and we asked for chairs and they were delivered in no time at all. There is a free tram through the city which is just 5 minutes up the road.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the east have shaded balconies in the afternoon - western facing balconies are very hot...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rhonda1953
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Rhonda
What a lovely review on your recent stay - thank you. I have shared your comments with and commended our staff as we also believe they are a valued and integral part of our guests experience at our properties.
The Eastern views over the Adelaide Hills are also a personal favorite of mine (I love the sunrise's, especially in winter when you get those occcassional days with broken cloud and drizzling rain and shards of pure light shining through). Please do not hesitate to inform our staff next time you book of your preference, as we gladly take requests for Hills or City/Plains views and note these on your profile for future visits.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Chifley for 4 nights from Jan 5th to to Jan 9th. I was provided with a room on the 7th floor which had a great view over the city and the South Terrace parklands. The room was spacious, modern (recent refurbishment i assume) and always cleaned to a high standard. As a New Zealander, i was not used to 40 degree temperatures, so the nearby pool at the sister hotel was an essential feature not offered by all local competitors.

I was particularly impressed with the short distance to the free tram into central Adelaide which provided easy access to Rundle Mall and nearby attractions, or to the nearly spectacular Glenelg beach for a small charge. I have already highly recommended the Grand Chifley to friends and family looking to revisit Adelaide in the near future.

Room Tip: The higher the better the view!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank James G
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear James G
I am pleased you enjoyed your extended stay with us and have shared your review with our staff.
Thankfully, the temperature has been slightly cooler (low - mid 30's) than you experienced earlier in the month, however with February and March still in front of us, no doubt it will climb back up. The pool and air conditioning are a must on those days of extreme temperature - I sometimes wish at those times I was a guest and not a member of staff so I too could enjoy a swim :)
Your recommendation to friends is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming them to the hotel in due course - get them to check out our great rates on the hotel website or alternatively request us by name from their local travel agent.
Thanks again for your kind words and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Firstly the good points. The staff were always friendly, check in was quick with no fuss and breakfast was OK but nothing special spread. The down side was the room I had on the second floor which was a special deal on the internet. The biggest gripe was noise. The room doors do not have not have good enough soft closer's on them and if you let the door go it bangs and this happened with all the doors! The corridor was very narrow and with a distinct echo. The other issue was all the balcony rails had lots of bird droppings on them and this is really off putting, bordering on a health hazard. The should be some outside chairs available too but the view from these second floor rooms is not pretty either just the back of the hotel next door! Also it appears that these are all adjoining rooms and the noise coming through the two doors is unacceptable, you can hear every sound. Location wise the hotel in situated across from the park but you would pay more for the view. You can walk into the city which I did but it is a good 20-25 min walk so location is not ideal if you are not a walker or elderly. Overall, not a great experience and I certainly would not pay the full price for a room there but I have crossed it off my list anyway.I would rather pay more and be more central to the City itself.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else preferable if you really want comfort and a quite nights sleep!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank peterfloyd54
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear peterfloyd54
Thanks for the review on your recent stay. I am sorry you were disturbed by noise.
I have asked maintenance to have a look at the door closers, however we are limited to how far we can adjust these as we must abide by the fire regulations which state the doors must fully self close and latch in the event of a fire actually happening.
We are currently installing netting to the balcony structures where they roost to deter the birds and to date we have covered approx 30 balconies, starting with the worst affected floors and rooms. We look forward to the completion of the project in the near future and seeing the back of these pesky opportunists. I have reminded housekeeping to remain vigilant in their cleaning regime in the meantime as the mess is indeed unsightly and not welcoming.
We have 6 rooms interconnecting on each floor and the doors remain locked unless both rooms occupants require them to be opened. We welcome our guests making requests when they have specific likes/dislikes for their room allocations and endeavor to fulfill such requests wherever possible.
It sounds like you purchased one of our great deals from the internet for a Cost Saver room - a great way to save money each night. These rooms are the same size as our others, yet as described have limited views and no minibars. We also have a range of price options where a room on a higher floor and increased inclusions are available for guests - our staff are pleased to discuss these options when you stay or at the time of making your booking.
The FREE tram is also a great way for people to travel into the Mall or other places throughout the CBD. The nearest stop is just 500m from our front door and our friendly staff have all the run down on how to find the tram and departure times.
I do hope you will come back again and stay with us.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I used the Grand Chifley for a special purpose ....
1. I had a car I needed to park at the hotel every night,
2. I wanted to be close to the city center.
3. I needed room availability for 3 weeks over Christmas & new years (Dec 17 to Jan 6)
4. I wanted a refrigerator in my room,
5. I wanted easy access to the parks surrounding Adelaide (to exercise) &
6. I wanted it all at a "reasonable price".
I used past reviews & the Grand Chifley came out on top.

Some comments on what I wanted versus what I got ....
car park I got, but some nights it was a squeeze, but I always found a space in the Grand Chifley, or one of the adjacent hotels tied to the Chifley chain. My car was small so I could squeeze it into small spaces.
Everything else I wanted was fine, except I was a bit peeved that I was charged for 3 bottles of water when I checked out:
a) they were left out on the shelf top as if they were routine supplies (like the soap, shampoo, coffee, sugar & towels) ... I did not use the wine or chocolates or other supplied drinks in the minibar/refrigerator!
b) I didn't track my usage, but am pretty sure it was 2 bottles only!
I honestly don't care enough to shout & scream at management, I just think it is frivolous & cheap! But then I did get a good price ... so why should I complain!

Because the Grand Chifley was able to deliver on the 6 items I wanted, I really have no complaints .... they definitely delivered on what I wanted.

On additional items that were not so significant for me:
i) I would point out that the TV is pretty limited to local transmitted channels (not an issue for most people) ...
ii) on arrival I was originally assigned a room in the wrong place (adjacent Chifley motel) which required a few minutes of clarification regarding my "actual" booking.
iii) I did not interact with staff much, or use the restaurant or the pool, so cannot comment on those additional features.

I consider the Grand Chifley as an upscale motel or a downscale hotel ... it fills a mid level niche, and I believe it does a good job in that niche! I rate it average as it does not make out to be a high end hotel, it is a very good mid level (average) motel/hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have more features & you will pay more...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Gary-L8
Your review is most welcome and we are pleased we have been able to meet your specific requirements.
Our car parks have been at a premium over the holiday period as many of our guests have been travelling with car. We have approximately 200 carparks for the nearly three hundred rooms between our adjoining hotel properties and generally, as you mention a spot can be found in one or the other. Sometimes this can be a bit of an irritant as people wish to park in the specific hotel they are staying at, but a walk of only a 100 meters or so for free parking in the CBD is a pretty good deal when you compare most other properties charge from $20 onwards for a nights parking privileges.
I apologise for the surprise of being charged for the water from the mini bar. Whilst the price is clearly marked on the mini bar price list adjacent the bottles and shelf items, I have asked our Food & Beverage department to source a 'neck tie' for the bottles which will also bring the charge to our guests attention.
We are in the process of upgrading many of our televisions throughout the hotel as the analogue signal is to be switched off in Adelaide soon. Larger TV's, LCD/LED picture, Digital stations AND Foxtel channels. The units have been ordered and we are now waiting on delivery.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay and again thank you for your comments.