“Great stay”

Sage Hotel Adelaide
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Great value, very clean, helpful staff and good location. Enjoyed our stay here and very impressed with the cleaning staff. The breakfast was good and also enjoyed a dessert and wine on the room service menu.

• Stayed: December 2012
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Jo F
Thank you for the lovely review on your recent stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Your review has been shared with our staff as they do work hard to contribute to the overall experience and positive feedback is a great way to acknowledge their efforts and success.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I booked this hotel through Wotif as a mystery deal as I took my wife to a concert in Adelaide as a surprise. After finding out what hotel it was I searched TripAdvisor for reviews and to my horror there were a lot of negative comments so, I was to say the least, a little concerned regarding my accommodation choice. Let me say from the outset that there is absolutely nothing really to complain about when staying at this hotel and I am not sure what some people expect when booking a 4 star hotel of this calibre and price. The Grand Chifley is well priced, clean, well positioned and very professionally run and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. There is just no pleasing some people.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the Adelaide Hills.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Graeme H
Thank you for the forthright and positive review on your stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide which I am pleased you enjoyed.
Mystery deals can be a great way to experience different properties at very affordable rates and add a little bit of intrigue to the process.
I am pleased also our recent efforts in coaching staff, review of standards and property improvements have had such a positive outcome as you experienced. We value the feedback, both positive and negative, from our guests as we truly believe there is always room for improvement.
The higher floors with views to the Adelaide Hills are indeed one of the best from the Adelaide CBD - and our views West to the Gulf St Vincent from these same floors are equally as lovely, looking over the Adelaide Plains Western Suburbs all the way to the coast.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit
kind Regards

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed for only one night; we had a very early flight, and the Grand Chifley, while being fairly central, is on the way to the airport. The hotel is in a very tranquil location , and this is good, but it also means that if you do not want to eat at the hotel restaurant, you will have to travel a fair bit. The room we stayed in was at the 5th floor, facing west and very quiet. It seemed recently refurbished, the bathroom was very modern and the room well equipped, with flat tv, foxtel and all you can expect from an hotel of this level: except free wifi, which is now standard almost everywhere except at the Grand Chifley. All in all, a satisfactory choice

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear giorgiosydney
Thank you for the review on your recent visit. I am pleased your experience was an enjoyable one.
We are currently reviewing our third party WiFi contract with the intent to provide a level of free coverage and more affordability for additional useage. We look forward to promoting this once the process has been completed.
I am pleased you found our location as we describe it - "Tranquil" as our outlook over the Parklands, Adelaide Hills and Western Plains is quite unique.
We do have several small restaurants just around the corner within a two minute walk from the hotel. These range from Indian, Vegetarian, Pasta & Pizza as well as the 'Local Pub'. One of Adelaide's premiere dining precincts, Gouger Street, with over 100 restaurants, cafes, pubs and China Town is a comfortable 10-12 minute walk away. A Free Tram with the nearest stop just 500m from the hotel will take you to Victoria Square/Gouger Street also.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.
kind Regards

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights in November 2012 for a sporting event. Room was on the fifth floor and had two double beds, as I was sharing with a friend. Reception was friendly and helpful. Room was very clean, looks like it had been recently refurbished. Bed was a little firm for my liking but still managed to sleep very well. Great view from the balcony which overlooked Adelaide Hills. Had a couple of pigeons hanging around the balcony but they didn't bother us. Dined in the Zouk restaurant for one of the nights. Very friendly service and nice food. Quiet area of the city, overlooking Southern Parklands. Short walk to the tram, which takes you into the city centre (free trip) or down to the beach at Glenelg. Great value for money when compared to other CBD hotels. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Atholmes
Thank you for the review on your recent stay.
Your comments reflect the many positive attributes of the hotel and service we strive hard to provide for our guests and I am pleased your experience was enjoyable.
I am happy to report we are successfully working on measures to deter the birds from our balconies and the property generally. We have already seen a minor improvement in less birds and their associated mess and noise. The effective measures we are taking involves a simple netting construction to the overhead balcony ledge/box. This prevents the birds from landing/nesting and is very passive, forcing the birds to 'fly on' looking for alternative vacant spaces.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when next you stay.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The room was a good size; clean and tidy. My balcony faced west and gave me a nice view over the parklands, and was high enough (9th floor) that traffic didn't bother me. If the lifts were slow (as mentioned in another review) I didn't notice.

When booking I emailed to ask if any rooms had shower stall instead of a shower over a bath. I was told that they could swap me to a room with a shower, but only one such room existed in the entire hotel - basically their disabled access suite - and it was on a much lower floor and not as high quality room. My balance is a bit iffy, which is why I asked, but I decided to chance it. As it turned out the bath was square-bottomed, not rounded, and there are enough handholds to help you balance, both of which made things easy for me. Still, I was pleased that they were happy to have the conversation, politely and thoroughly, without trying to push me one way or the other.

Other reviews have mentioned problems with pigeons. Again, not that I noticed. But when I was going down in the lift on one occasion, a handyman got in carrying a hammer and pieces of wood. I joked, something like "Taking your hobby with you?" and he said he was installing netting to ward off pigeons on some balconies. So they're paying attention and trying to fix that problem where it exists, although as I said, I didn't have any problem.

Breakfast in the restaurant was fine, although busy. After being seated on one morning I waited almost ten minutes for the promised coffee. But the scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms and chipolatas were all good (they also have tomato, but I don't eat it), they had four or five cereals to choose from, plenty of fruit to put together as you like (prunes, apricots, pineapple, watermelon, rock melon, honeydew melon), toast (white, wholemeal or fruit) and a few danishes and croissants, with butter or marg and several jams and spreads. Not top notch stuff, but better than average.

Even though that coffee took a while, the staff were generally helpful and efficient. I don't like UHT milk so I usually ask for a small jug in the room; they brought it within a couple of minutes. I needed taxis; booked immediately and on time every time. I wanted an extra hour for checkout; no problem and no extra charge. I stayed three nights and had zero problems.

Room Tip: High and facing west is quiet with a nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael J
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Michael J
The review on your recent stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide is very welcome and comprehensive. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience at our hotel.
Being an older building, albeit under going significant refurbishments in 2008 and other minor improvements since, we are unfortunately limited with regard to shower only options and we apologise for any inconvenience experienced. We have ensured suitable handrails and also rubber mats to place in the bottom of the bath for additional slip safety.
Those pesky pigeons which have been a trying experience for us and our guests, do seem to be finding alternative homes now that we have implemented the netting solution. This simple and passive solution denies the pigeons the opportunity to land and roost in the alcove above each balcony and does not involve capturing and subsequent disposal or relocation of the birds.
I apologise for the wait for your coffee and have reminded restaurant staff and supervisors of our service expectations. We have also reminded Supervisors to ensure sufficient staff each shift and to call on additional resources, including management, when we are experiencing high demand or just a busier than expected moment.
Our guest comfort and overall experience is important to us and every endeavor is made to assist with options and solutions when we are made aware of specific concerns or requirements. It is especially pleasing to hear first hand from the recipient when this happens as our staff are greatly valued and appreciated by us and it is nice to be able to pass on feedback from our guests. Your lovely comments regarding our staff and their assistance have been shared among the team and all have been commended for the assistance you have reported.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay at our hotel.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My room on the sixth floor was very clean and seemed to have been renovated in the last year or so. Sure, the sliding doors can be a bit loud, and there were a couple of pigeons hanging around some of the time, but the balcony was quite clean and I'm not fazed by a bit of noise. would have liked to be able to change the temperature on the air conditioning though. It had to be either on or off, so I was too hot the first night and too cold the second. I'd recommend turning it off and having the balcony door open.
The hotel is a bit far from the main part of town, but there is the free tram, which only takes a few minutes. Unfortunately there aren't many shops or resturants in the area around the hotel.
The staff were very friendly and the service good. They were able to get me a room, even though I arrived well before check-in time.
There were a lot of large bus tour groups using the hotel, which can make access to a table for breakfast a bit tricky, but I just chose to eat a bit later - not right at opening time - and didn't have too much trouble.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Tina C
Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Thank you for bringing to our attention the air- conditioner problem you experienced. I have asked maintenance to attend the room you occupied and make sure it is working correctly or arrange rectification as temperature adjustment for personal comfort is important.
Breakfast times can be busy when the hotel is experiencing high occupancy and on those occasions when we do have large groups in, additional dining space is set aside in our function rooms or on the lovely Fuschia Deck which overlooks our own "Zen" garden, South Terrace and the adjacent park lands.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit our hotel.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had to chose a Hotel to stay 4 nights whilst competing in the World Surf Lifesaving Championships. Even though the competition was at Christies Beach & Glenelg Beach we chose the Grand Chifley because we stayed there two years ago & were very pleased with every aspect of our stay. This visit was also fantastic & great value for money.We asked for a quiet room & the reception staff were very helpful with our request & our room 511 was
really quiet, clean & comfortable. All the staff were very friendly & helpful especially in the dining room. We had continental breakfast in the dining room which was of a very high standard. We also had dinner on two evenings & the food was delicious.The Hotel is very well located with a short walk to the tram & buses.It was a bonus to have a free carpark but in the afternoon around 3pm it was hard to get a parking spot because I think Mothers' were collecting their children from the school located behind the Hotel.We would not hesitate to stay at the Grand Chifley again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room & it was on the side of the building with not much view. We did not ca...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Suzanne P
Thank you for choosing to stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide during the World Surf Live Saving Championships - I hope you did well and enjoyed the competition.
Your lovely comments have been shared amongst the hotel team and all have been commended. I am certainly pleased you enjoyed your stay and the food.
We have reminded the adjacent school and parents our car park is for our house guests use only and will conduct regular patrols and spot checks to ensure any instances are reduced. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when next you stay.