1,325 results
All reviewsgrand chifleyfree tramsouth parklandsacross the roadexecutive roomcar parkingtram stopwould stay againmin walkfresh airpleasant staystayed nightsbuffet breakfastbed was very comfortablearound the cornerrundle mallnorth terrace
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I had two multi-day meetings either side of a weekend, so this became a business trip with a couple of days of leisure thrown in. I stayed seven nights at the Grand Chifley and found it to be comfortable and more than adequate for the trip.

I'd stayed at the Chifley two doors down before, and found it to be pretty ordinary, so when they booked me into the Grand Chifley, I thought this might be the better option, but I was a little disappointed. It seems 'grand' refers to the size of the hotel, rather than the quality!

The hotel generally is in good condition, but it is very old and several renovations are evident. The lifts are slow and noisy, and while I wasn't near them, my colleagues complained of a great deal of noise from 4am onwards. I experienced a lot of plumbing noise during some nights from my neighbours also.

Housekeeping is inconsistent. They have the usual 'scrunch your towels for new ones, hang to keep them' signs, but only some staff stick to this. I hung my towels every morning seven days in a row and they gave me new ones three times. And the lighting, obviously chosen for low energy consumption, is not adequate for the room, and despite these 'efforts' at environmentalism, there was still no recycling bin in the room.

The television, which comes with a few Foxtel channels, is not well set up. Only analogue signals are available, so you only get five of the free-to-air broadcast channels, and even the pay TV channels come in on a dodgy analogue signal, so they're all fuzzy; one wasn't even watchable.

The redeeming feature for me was the bed, which was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on, and since the bed is pretty much the most important aspect of a hotel room, this makes a big difference to an otherwise disappointing stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank trevar
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Trevar
Thankyou for visiting Grand Chifley Adelaide and writing a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I am able to advise that we will be replacing televisions that are not already Digital capable in the hotel and apologise for the poor reception and lack of channels as experienced by you. I have referred this to our maintenance team as at the very least you should have had a clear picture on those channels available. Maintenance have also been asked to assess the halogen lighting we currently use and determine if replacements or increased lux/wattage is necessary.
Housekeeping have been reminded of our environmental policies and I will be addressing these further with them over the course of the next month. Your comment regarding a recycling bin in the room has been passed on to the management team for discussion with a view to implementation as it is a great suggestion - thankyou.
I am pleased you found our bed comfortable and can also advise that we recently replaced another 20 throughout the hotel. As you mentioned a comfortable nights sleep (especially in a strange bed) is so important when travelling.
Thankyou again for your comments and the review and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and were so disappointed. The duty manager "Chad" checked us in - an experience that included an uncomfortable "How you doin'?" directed at me and he answered the phone TWICE while i was mid-sentance!!!!! The room was unimpressive, TV reception poor, shower over the bath was difficult to get in to/out of and the screen and soap dish were broken, the balcony door was draughty and let in lots of noise, and the room was dim with all the lights on. On the positive side the hot water was HOT, morning delivery of papers and free tabloid magazines in the lobby, cleaners were lovely and other reception staff were friendly. I wouldn't stay there ever again, nor would i recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank olivia p
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Olivia P
Thankyou for writing a review on your recent stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide. Your feedback is greatly valued.
I have shared your comments regarding lighting and other items for attention with Maintenance for their attention.
We do seek to promote a more relaxed atmosphere than some other properties, however, I am sorry and apologise that our staff seem to have taken such a casual attitude on your checkin using slang and not excusing themselves when answering the telephone. I have discussed this with the Front Office Manager and this will be addressed further with staff as well as manners and decorum are essential.
Thankyou for bringing your experience to my attention and I would be pleased to discuss this further with you personally.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Arrived for 2 night stay after a long drive from Melbourne. Check in easy enough but think we had Chad too who certainly didn't sound happy to be there. Free parking a bonus; plenty of spots available although it did fill up towards end of day. We had upgraded to Queen Deluxe thankfully as I would hate to see the size of a standard. Nice balcony (only one resident pigeon) nice view, comfy bed and sparkling bathroom. 2 mins walk to tram (free to city, $4 2 hr/ $8 day ticket to Glenelg). Apart from the false fire alarm Sunday morning my only complaint was the ridiculously loud balcony doors. When the next room opened theirs I literally thought a train was coming through the door so a lie-in was impossible with the cleaners coming in and out of the adjoining rooms. It was LOUD. Didn't eat there but restaurant looked lovely and the mini bar prices were surprisingly reasonable. We also had a good laugh at the reponse to my request for a sewing kit. I did mention I only needed it for a safety pin and that's exactly what I got - one safety pin pushed under the door. LOL

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ozgirl999

Dear Ozgirl999
Thankyou for staying at Grand Chifley Adelaide and writing a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

We apologise for the disturbance due to the balcony doors. Maintenance and an independant contractor are continuing work on replacing the rollers on the balcony doors, unfortunately, on some of the doors this is not improving the noise as the tracks and age of the door/window units have suffered considerable wear over their life. We are looking at other options for these, however, this is proving problematic at this stage.

With the exception of our Suites, all rooms are of a similar size, although the furniture and bedding does vary from room type to room type. I am unsure as to why a staff member would have just provided a safety pin rather than a full travellers sewing kit other than taking your comment literally, although this does seem to me as being too literal. A reminder will be given to staff that sometimes we should go beyond this in our efforts to assist our guests.

Your comments have been most informative and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Spent 5 nights at the Grand Chifley Bed & Breakfast while on business in Adelaide and really enjoyed the quality of the room (with balcony to view Adelaide from), the excellent full English breakfasts and the helpful attitude of the staff. The hotwl is a comforatbel 20min walk from the centre of Adelaide and has an excellent view over the parklands. I would definitely stay there again if in Adelaide as good value for money and a high standard of service.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better to improve your balcony view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SaintKen

Dear SaintKen

Thankyou for staying at Grand Chifley Adelaide and sharing your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Your comments have been shared with our team and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Myself and my two friends stayed here a few weeks ago on holiday from NZ. We were checked in by Chad who's an interesting chap with an interesting way of customer service. He certainly didnt make us feel welcome anyway. We got up to the room and first impressions were ok until we saw the windows and balcony. There was pigeon crap all over the balcony it was absolutely disgusting. There was even a mound about 20cm high of chap. The windows were so dirty you could hardly see out them, it made the rest of the stay very uncomfortable. I certainly wont be back. A previous comment I read about this hotel read: You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig! Very true in this hotels case, nice one that guy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank George G

Dear George G

Thankyou for staying at Grand Chifley Adelaide and writing a review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

We do have a programme in place for the pigeon issue and balconies are cleaned daily. Unfortunately, the pigeons do congregate on random balconies thereafter and make further mess. Upon notification by guests (which we welcome) we do re-clean the balcony providing housekeeping staff are still on duty, unfortunately in some instances later in the afternoon/early evening this necessitates a delay until the next morning.

I would be delighted to further investigate your stay and comments made where we appear to have not fulfilled our standards. I ask that you contact me direct at the hotel so that I can get the details of your stay and contact information so that once the investigation is completed can further correspond with you.