“very impressed”

The Franklin Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Adelaide B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hallelujah ... A genuine boutique hotel in Adelaide. This is an absolute winner.

All the small details are spot on, in-room coffee machine, snacks and drinks provided. The fit out is superb, bold contemporary style shines alongside cleverly retained original features. The room boasted a luxurious king sized bed, generous bathroom featuring double shower and a free standing bath.

Owner operated, this hotel has a heart beat. Never again will I visit Adelaide and stay in faceless chain operated accommodation.

Room Tip: We had Room 3. It could not be faulted in neither style nor comfort.
5  Thank jdub51

Reviewed June 20, 2013

They wowed everyone with the reno of the Wright Street Hotel and then they shuffled a little to the west and did the same with The Franklin. These two joints undeniably fall under the category of ‘redic hip’ and are now absolute staples in the ever changing nightlife of Adelaide. I couldn’t count the number of times I have woken up in the morning (or afternoon, sshhhh!) after a night at the Wright Street or Franklin and thought ‘ugh, I shouldn’t have had that last cocktail jar! Damn their deliciousness!’ Anyway, I digress, cocktails have that effect on me.

The latest and possibly greatest project by these wonder workers is the newly opened hotel rooms upstairs at The Franklin Hotel. I had a little squiz at them at the opening event and I literally spent 20 minutes just meandering in and out of the rooms with an expression one makes after catching their parents having sex. Open mouth shock and surprise! These rooms are just… (insert any outrageously complimentary word here.) Yep, exactly. You called it. So when I was invited to spend a night in the rooms that are more stylish than Tim Gunn, I jumped at the chance.

If I could live in one of these rooms, I seriously would. They are that beautifully done. There is no doubt that they have been able to achieve the perfect balance between classy and luxurious whilst also achieving a hip and trendy vibe. Often hotels that are crazy modern or ridiculously luxurious are devoid of all personality and you just know that your room couldn’t be distinguished from the loud snorers room next door. This is not the Franklin.

All the rooms are filled with colourful and inspired pieces of furniture as well as modern paintings and prints. I really couldn’t help but smile when coming back to my room after a little trip to the Central Markets (don’t even get me started on the location!) and seeing this cute little robot-man sitting on the central coffee table. Super quirky and unexpected!

The bathrooms make you feel like absolute royalty with a bath you could swim to China in and a double headed shower that would have been complete bliss if it didn’t mock my single status so loudly!

PLUS they give you a little complementary bag of goodies! Frank is clearly one generous fella!

Not to mention he also knows how to cook! If you can’t be bothered hitting the exorbitant number of restaurants less than five minutes’ walk from the rooms, then just go downstairs and have a charming meal by the fire.

My nights stay was nothing less than an exquisite lover who leaves you wanting more. In fact, my birthday is coming up in a few months and I am already toying with the idea of treating myself to a loooooong weekend getaway in the city!

If you want to check out for photos of this divine hotel check out my blog at www.morethanchurches.com.au

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank MTChurches
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but I was impressed with this chic hotel, I thought everyone should knw about it. I hadn't even booked the room.. I arrived to meet a friend for a weekend in Adelaide,we arranged to meet at The Franklin for a bite and some wine, they serve one of my fav Fiano's, after a few too many we decided nobody could drive and seeing as I was supposed to be on friend's couches for 3nights, thought it easier to stay where I was. The staff were super friendly, I got a sweet room above the pub, stylish with paraben free products (thats important to me), fast and free wifi, awesome coffee machine with fresh milk not those little UHT longlife things(thats a quick way to ruin a coffee), a bag of treats including choccies and crisps ( hard to resist after a night on the booze), there was a fruit bowl on the coffee table with apples, no tissue box though, I think I expect that in a hotel room. But there was so many nice surprises that made it a very pleasant stay. I ended up staying for the whole 3 nights! They even have new bikes to borrow complimentary.. made getting round Adelaide easy and cheap!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Alison M
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This perfectly sneaky little location is conveniently situated 4-5 minutes walk from the main street of Adelaide 'King William St'.
On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff members who took our bags up to our room whilst we had a drink in the hotel.
When we got to our room, it was gorgeous and the bathroom was spacious, let alone divine!
If you are looking for somewhere less generic (but has all the bells and whistles) to stay then look no further.
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to stay here again in the near future.
V&J

2  Thank VladandJade
Reviewed June 16, 2013

After retuning to Adelaide for a friends engagement party we were looking for a place near the city to base ourselves for the weekend. The Franklin was purrrrfect :) The room interior is a kind of Industrial chic look with wooden floorboards, oversized lighting fixtures and tables, and a roomy tiled bathroom. Location was perfect and we walked to the 2 parties we had whilst in Adelaide. Staff was uber friendly and the ability to glide in and out of our room to the bar and back gave the place a VIP feel. Loved it!

Room Tip: Have a look at the rooms :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ramon2026
Reviewed June 14, 2013

From the moment we arrived we knew that this place was a little different to our usual hotel experience! Entry and check in is made downstairs in the 'Pub' a very trendy recently renovated venue with amazing recycled furniture and bar area with a lovely outdoor garden area too.
The staff were very friendly making us feel very welcome after our long flight, the taxi from the airport was only 20mins but we were exhausted after flying in from London.
Staff helped us upstairs to our room and we were pleasantly surprised to see the finish of the room were in a similar style as the downstairs bar and very unique!
Website photo's don't do this place justice!
The room was furnished beautifully, massive bathroom, FREE minibar & goodie bag filled with little treats! Great location opposite the central bus station in the CBD where we caught the bus to Kangaroo Island later in the week, very convenient!
We will definitely recommend and return next time we visit Adelaide!

Room Tip: Room 3 has a fantastic street outlook and a huge bathroom with double shower heads, great bathtub an...
2  Thank Nate_young
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm a local Adelaide resident and was looking for a CBD based hotel to base myself from for a night out on the town. Having wined and dined at the Franklin Hotel plenty of times (not to mention the uber cool Wright St Hotel as well!) I thought to check out the new upstairs boutique accommodation!

My room was super clean, well designed and had this great feel of combined quirkiness with modern. Haven't seen anywhere else like it before.

The bedding was comfortable and the deep bath was to die for.

Although not YET known for breakfast here, if you're keen for tasting plates/tapas style with a few wines then this place is the place to be.

Staff were friendly and chatty making us feel comfortable and welcome.

Would definitely recommend this place to locals wanting a boutique style accommodation in the CBD or people visiting from out of town.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the deep bath...amazing!!
5  Thank SIA_200