“Great Hotel!”
Review of Oaks Embassy

Oaks Embassy
Ranked #34 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed June 3, 2008

The Embassy Oaks in Adelaide is a comfortable, well-located hotel with well-stocked suite accomodation and pleasant staff.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2008

We booked via a well known Airline's website seven days accommodation at the Oaks Embassy in Adelaide. It's proximity to the city centre and public transport network cannot be faulted at all but unfortunately the cleanliness (or lack of it !!!) at this facility cannot go uncommented. Upon arriving at the Oaks Embassy and arrivng at our room the very first thing we noticed was a rather unclean bathroom complete with mould on the white tiles (never construct a place using white tiles would be my advice !!) and tiles missing from the shower that exposed hidden insulation with some rotting behind these tiles. This would not be tolerated by some guests, but the kitchen and balance of the apartment did look cleaner. We soon discovered that the TV was not also working properly. We let this slide on day one as you could just make out a picture and some channels were better than others. Day two dawned and I switched the TV on for my morning news fix, nothing now working other than static on any channels in the main lounge area. Upon heading out for the day I reported the TV problem and my partner commented on the bathroom state to the front desk which would quote "be taken care of". We returned later that day to find no improvement in the bathroom state and still no TV reception.
This time back to the front desk where after a few minutes we were offered the option to change rooms (by a much friendlier and helpful front desk clerk) who within five minutes visited our room fixed our problem and relocated us without much fuss on the same level with minimal moving involved. Second room was much nicer still a couple of unknown stains on the carpet but a 100 percent improvement on the first room.
Location is great, a mere 5 mintue walk from Rundle Mall and only a couple of minutes from the convention centre, railway station and Sky City casino. Some nice eateries and restaurants within easy walking distance to suit everyones taste and budget. All units have kitchen facilities and there are a couple of supermarkets close by if eating in is your thing.
If we return to Adelaide in the future I think I would look at other options before using the Oaks Embassy again. The Oaks group have at least three other properties in the Adelaide area and the above review does not take into account any of these. In fact two of the properties at the beachside suburb of Glenelg look very nice..!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank willconz
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I booked the 2 bedroom apartment and although the decor was nice I must say the service is terrible. Upon check in I paid up front the full amount of 500$ to a lady there and proceeded to my room. The day after at check out with the same woman served me upon check in. At the end of the check out process I was asked by the woman "how would you like to pay for your stay"? I looked at her in disbelief and asked her if she was joking. She gave me a blank stare and I told her how the day before I handed over to her the full amount!! I had no receipt to prove this as they were to had it to me at checkout. The woman was dead set convinced that I had not paid and that I was trying to accuse her of something so I can get out of paying?? I am a gold member of most leading luxury hotel chains in the world and I was not about to take any crap from the Oaks Embassy!!!! I excused myself and walked out. A few hours later I received a call from the woman who was deeply apologetic because she had reviewed the security tape and what exactly had happened and how I paid. I can believe how dumb these people are. As an apology gift she sent a complementary nights stay voucher for about 500$. I tore it apart and threw it in the garbage bin.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank ghnad
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Stayed for a week in a 2 bdr. deluxe apartment. Room 811 - avoid it!
NOISY at night with all the nightclubs and nightlife in the street behind. Can't sleep, hearing people, music and the bins of bottles being emptied in the big containers outside. 3am if you've managed to fall asleep you get waken up by the garbage truck coming to pick up the containers in both corners of the streets below.
DIRTY and POORLY MAINTAINED. Upon arrival TV wasn't working, the antenna had been broken, it was very visible but had not been repaired which meant (being late in the afternoon when we checked in) that we had to wait until the following day to get it repaired. The desk where the TV is was cracked and had been fixed with brown packaging tape. On the understanding that the room would have DVD player we asked and were told that because the apartments are privately owned, it was up to the owners to decide if they out DVD player or not. So basically you can be paying the same for an apartment at the Oaks and it's your luck if the owners of the apartment they give you are going cheap on their investment or not. Same with the kitchen, they have a pack of coffee but no coffee maker- again, up to the owners of the apartment. I think if they have a building under a brand name all the apartment should have the same gimmicks. The shower did not sprayed properly and would get the whole small bathroom full of water - it was a pool after each shower. They had not even bothered to put the toilet paper in the roll, it was sitting on the little bench. Corners of the bathroom and top of the little garbage full of dust. Stove had the nob to turn on the gas broken. The chairs on the dining table were disgustingly stained. Carpet through the apartment wasn't much better, that carpet needed a good cleaning or better, replacing!
Stayed there for one week and the kitchen floor was not clean once nor were the carpets vacuumed. Having a crawling baby and two other kids was very disgusting to live in this conditions for one week.
BEDS in SAD CONDITION. Mattress in main bedroom was saggy and could not hold the weight of two normal sized people, the bed in the second bedroom was a disaster!!! even our 2 and 4 year old that slept there complained. The mattress had bumps all over and when we looked underneath the bed we were surprised to see the pathetically cheap solution they had found to try to extend the life of that mattress. 3 wooden pieces pushing to the mattress trying to hold it so that it didn't fall on the floor, that's sad and unacceptable for a 4 star hotel!!!
One of the most disgusting part of sleeping on those beds were their duvets. They go cheap to the point that the duvets don't even have a proper duvet cover, they use a big bed sheet to wrap the duvet, which means that as you sleep and move the sheets move around and the duvet becomes exposed and before you know it you are sleeping with a duvet that has had the sweat and who knows what of thousands of other people right by your face. We found that extremely disgusting.
SERVICE at reception poor, unfriendly and without knowledge of basic things on Adelaide such as transport, opening hours, etc.
BREAKFAST buffet, just avoid it. A complete rip-off. Before going there we had a look, and just by looking around the buffet could clearly tell that wasn't worth the $15 for adults and $5 per kid they wanted to charge. Needless to say we didn't eat there.
POOL and GYM just OK, but nothing to go mad about.
PARKING don't use their service unless you are planning to come and go with your car every day many times. The Oaks charge $15 per day. Parking in the same parking you pay a maximum of $8.50 for 24 hours so if you are planning on leaving your car there for more than one day or don't plan to take it out too often it's cheaper to pay the public parking.
All in all it's just not a 4 star accommodation. They must have got their ratings a long time ago, but it sure needs to be re-rated because they just don't deserve that many stars. It looks and feels more like a 3 star. A word of warning before you book this hotel. Don't go by the photographs on their website because you will be very disappointed, they don't match the reality.
Would we stay there again? NO. The location is great, but that's about it.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank saillavie
Reviewed September 28, 2007

I had a great stay at this hotel in late September. The room was actually a one bedroom apartment, and very spacious. The kitchen had a full 4 burner Smeg cooktop, full sized fridge, and full cooking equipment. Very easy to get your own breakfast items from the big supermarket in the Rundle Mall quite close by. The bedroom was good sized, although the bed wasn't the most comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful when I had problems with the Internet connections - better instructions would have helped (the hotel directory was out of date in this regard). I had a great view on one of the higher floors, and the gym was up to date and very functional. One of the best I've had in a hotel. Didn't try the lap pool, but was tempted.

Great value for money and highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Tripper16
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Recently spent four nights in the Oaks Embassy and was not particularly impressed.
Check in was pretty straight forward and was what you'd expect from a 4.5 star hotel.
The lifts were clean and quick.
The room was okay (I was staying in a 1 bedroom deluxe apartment), but nothing at all like the pictures on the oaks website. It had the feel of a place that was 'trendy' 5 or 6 years ago, but now felt and looked dirty, grimy and unkempt. The coffee table in the lounge room had a glass table top, and the glass had completely cracked and had chips missing. Fortunately I was staying alone and had no young children with me, otherwise, that table was a nasty cut or accident waiting to happen.
The bedroom wardrobe also had mirrored doors and there were large smears and stains on the glass, it certainly looked as though the doors had not been cleaned for sometime, and it was quite disgusting. It felt more like a 3 star place than 4.5!!
Previous reviews were right in saying that you are literally looking into other people's bedrooms from your balcony. No view whatsoever.
The location itself is quite handy. It is across the road from the convention centre (was there for a conference, so it saved alot of back and forward with taxis). It is also a 15 minute walk to the main shopping disctrict, Rundle mall. Although a word to the wise, the Oaks area and nearby side streets are a bit scary and poorly lit at night so I'd suggest walking up North Terrace until you get to the North Terrace Myer entrance, and getting into the mall through Myer. I wouldn't walk alone.
If you're there for breakfast, I'd skip the hotel's buffet (very limited choice) and walk about 100 metres to the right of the hotel to a place called Parlamento, good coffee and nice brekkies, about $12 for a meal, and $3 for a REAL coffee (no instant stuff).
Overall I wouldn't stay there again, but if I had to (i.e work reasons) I would ask for a different facing room.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank Travelbug2008
Reviewed June 30, 2007

The first night when we arrived was terrible! The noise from next door! Seeing as though it's opposite the casino. Next morning, we requested a different room, in a quiet area and we got it, great service at reception. Room service could be improved though. The pool, sauna, spa and gym facilities were also a great feature in the hotel. The rooms are very small, not at all what it looks like in the given photos, and the view was TERRIBLE. Solid brick wall.

Overall, it was ok, but could be improved

Stayed: June 2007