“Adequate apartment hotel”
Review of Oaks Embassy

Oaks Embassy
Ranked #34 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I've stayed several times in this hotel, both in 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom apartments. The 1 bedder is fine. I stayed in one on the top floor and it had lovely soaring ceilings. The 2 bedroom is fine also, but I stayed with a colleague and got the smaller bedroom. The smaller bedroom has no window and one of it's walls are frosted glass looking out to the lounge area. The major problem with that is there is no curtain or blind to block out light. So if your colleague watches tv or stays up late in the living room area, you have no choice but to suffer the light streaming into your room. The other notable fact is if you're travelling with other people, make sure your rooms are on the same floor. This hotel gives you an elevator security tag that only lets you press the button of your floor. So if you want to go to a mate's room, you have to go down to reception and meet him there, then go back up. That was one of the reasons my company no longer puts us up there. All other aspects are fine. Parking is good. Location is good with the Casino and restaurants close by. A nice coffee shop about 10 metres away. The rooms were quiet. Beds were firm. Kitchens were fully stocked as you'd expect. Supermarket within 1km as well as many other shops.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Oaks Embassy

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Great location directly across from the Adelaide Convention Centre and close by to Casino and Rundle Mall. Rooms are clean, comfortable and modern with a well equipped kitchen. The rooms are also spacious and with a balcony. The downstairs restaurant served good meals and reasonably priced. Staff were helpful and friendly. Given the price (rooms booked through a discount hotel website) it was fantastic value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Had a great stay, had a girls weekend,staff were very nice and always helpful, great location close to everything. Had a 2 bedroom apartment, Room was very nice, clean, would stay again next time we are in Adelaide.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Room #1302
I wanted a big apartment for the night as it was my birthday & we wanted to invited friends over for dinner. When I booked the apartment, I went into The Embassy & asked to view the rooms. I viewed a 3 bedroom apartment (which I would have booked, but they were booked out) & was told that the 2 bedroom/2 bathroom executive was the same. Upon checking in one week later, the room we got (deluxe) was 2 bedroom but only one bathroom (very small bathroom & kitchen unlike the one I had viewed). I was very disappointed, & contacted reception as soon as we got to the room. However, they informed us that that was the room we had booked (which it wasn't). I had a copy of the receipt, however the receipt didn't specify which room we booked, only the price. It was another $80 to upgrade, so we decided not to pay the extra. Although the kitchen wasn't as big as we had thought, we were still able to entertain our friends which was good.
The apartment wasn't too bad, however the windows & glass doors were covered in filthy dirty greasy finger marks, which I cleaned off with a face washer. It was clear that the previous guests had children as their paw prints were everywhere!
The bathroom was very small. The jets in the bath were a joke. I had a 'spa' in the bath & after a few minutes of having the jets blowing, the bath filled with tiny specs of (what looked like) mould which I could see was on the inside of the jets. Not nice....
The bed was comfy, and the master bedroom had a flat screen tv on the wall.
The kitchen was well appointed with smeg appliances. However (as mentioned before) the kitchen was smaller than the room I had originally booked. We needed lots of bench space for preparing meals, so it was a bit small for us to cook in.
There were 2 balconies’ however one couldn't be used as it was so small & housed the aircon box. The other was a good size with a small table & 4 chairs. The apartment faced North Tce, so the views were good, especially at sunset....the apartment had nice big windows so you could enjoy the views at night.
When I booked the room, I asked if there was an i-pod player/radio & was told that there was not any in the room. However there was a micro-stereo in the apartment which I could use with my i-pod, which was a bonus. It would have been helpful if reception knew what facilities the apartments had, so that I didn't have to lug my laptop (for music) unnecessarily.
One staff member worth mentioning is Andrew who works at reception (tall, handsome young man from India). After asking if I could view the rooms (and having the female manager say no as they were too busy), Andrew asked me to wait until after he served the customers, then he took me up to view the rooms. He was really helpful & I was impressed by his service, thanks Andrew.
I am still not sure why I ended up with a different room from the one I booked. I have stayed in Oaks apartments before (at Glenelg) and had a similar experience. We booked into the Liberty apartments & was told when we checked in that they had doubled booked the room, so they moved us over to the Pier, which wasn’t as nice. It appears that they have a policy of double booking rooms, then moving people to a different property if everyone on the day checks in. However, I have also stayed at Oaks apartments in Melbourne & never had a problem.
I would stay at The Embassy again, however next time, I would re-confirm the room that I booked so that there were no last minute surprises!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ozzaboz
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Went to Adelaide overnight for a friend's wedding and decided to stay here as the Oaks Horizon was not available for one night stays.

This was such a disappointing hotel. The room stunk, was very tired and had a little balcony which had a huge wall in the middle of it blocking all views and general light. The location is good, however, there are plenty of other hotels around this area to choose from. The only positive was the staff at reception. They were very friendly and helpful.

Very disappointing as I have stayed at the Oaks in Melbourne previously for an extended stay for work and it was fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KaterinaPetro
Reviewed May 22, 2011

This is an extremely good hotel in the main downtown area. All amenities are available, local travel services are good.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AusTraveller033
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This was my fifth stay in an Oaks property, and, believe me, it has never been my choice. It is booked through my work. Each time I am optimistic that things would change- but this time I was again let down. The weird thing about Oaks properties is that they look great, but then the problems start. Let's see...Washing machine not working properly, dishwasher not working. ( I have to say I was there for two months ) fridge settings all out of whack, not being able to access half the wardrobe because the bed is up against it and, as with every Oaks- the bed is so uncomfortable it is almost laughable. There is a ridge running down the middle of the bed. It is not a little ridge- it is enough to make you have to sleep on one side of the bed or the other. If roll into the middle of the bed in the night, you will suffer for it the next day.
Everyday, I would get into the lift, and a bewildered traveller would be in there, wondering why they are having to change rooms, or why 'something' wasn't working in their unit (dishwasher, shower, stove top).
It is the service, though, that is so bad. My company paid for a serviced apartment. So, once a week, you would expect a service. Not so at the Oaks! I am not a princess- I will wash my towels and I keep my apartment clean- but in the two months I was there, I had only 3 full services- sometimes it was done with a lick and a promise- and you never knew when they were going to happen! It was always a surprise when I would come in from work and find that it had been serviced. At one stage, I asked three times for a service, I was told that it would be done, so I would go out all day (if it was on the weekend which was when they had been done before) only to come back and find that it hadn't been done. Once I went down to the front desk, and the arrogant young man behind the desk DID NOT EVEN LOOK UP when I requested a service. So, I asked the top of his head to send me up a vacum cleaner, some fresh sheets, loo paper, tissues etc. The top of his head was obviously not listening, because nothing arrived. I even came home once, and my door was wide open- with no-one in sight, in or out of the apartment!
I have alerted my company to this, and they are reconsidering using this company.
The pluses are- not all the staff talk through the top of their heads and it is in a good position in the city and the shower is good, although the door didn't close properly so there was a flood every time I showered.
Stay somewhere where you get the service you pay for.

Room Tip: There is no best room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business