“A modern hotel situated in a good location for the city”

Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The hotel is modern and comfortable in style, with good sized rooms. It is conveniently situated on the edge of the city centre.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JandJ42
There are newer reviews for Majestic Roof Garden Hotel

Reviewed April 5, 2011

First off, it's 2011, folks. It's bad enough to still charge for internet access, but this hotel doesn't even have wireless. Yep, that's right; there is no wireless AT ALL. There was a cable on the desk in my room, but part of it was broken off, and it kept falling out of my computer.

The room did look nice at first glance, but then I went in to the bathroom and found a hair (yes, THAT kind) on the edge of the toilet seat. When I went to soak my feet in the tub, the bottom of it was gritty with some sort of powder, which may have just been the cleanser I used. Still, I was glad I hadn't run an actual bath and sat/soaked in it, and I think it shows a lack of care on the part of the cleaning staff to leave it this way.

All of that was not the biggest drawback for me. Unfortunately the Majestic Roof also uses a very powerful fragrance of some sort in their rooms. In my room it was downright overpowering (to the point that a colleague commented on my strange scent three hours after I'd left the hotel!). I'm not sure if the fragrance was to mask some other, even less pleasant scent, but it made spending time in my room really unpleasant. I wanted to open the window to air it out a bit, but I discovered that the tiny window in my room was non-operational.

The staff weren't particularly charming either. When the desk person inquired about my stay upon check-out, I mentioned the unclean room and excessive fragrance. Her response: "Oh." It was kind of the crowning experience to that stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Jenjen909
Reviewed March 25, 2011

stayed at hotel twice, on our way to KI and back. it was comfortable. best of all was the location and price. we could easily walk to museums and take in the fringe festival. lots of restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cvalent9
Reviewed March 20, 2011

almost everything. We had first floor, glass and marble shower, need to lay down one of the huge bath towels before shower, or it will be dangerous when done. Also, one tiny shelf above sink for toiletries , the bath needs a portable stand for this need. Air con was a little loud, but it did the job. Bed/mattress could use some updating to match the rest of the hotel. Breakfast was good, service was good.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank trade81
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Forget free wireless; this hotel doesn't have wireless at all! They do have a broadband connection available in the room, but it is wired and quite pricey at $26.95 per day! If you don't want to pay that much for internet service, you'll be happy to know that the hotel proudly announces that dial-up internet service is available and billed at their phone rates - $1.00 if it's a local call, or much, much more if it's not. Seriously? No wireless in 2011? This is the only hotel I've stayed at in years that doesn't offer wireless.

Forgot your toothpaste? Well, not a problem...as long as you don't mind spending $7 for a miniature replacement out of the mini bar! Yes, even discount motel chains provide free toothpaste to guests who have forgotten it, but the Majestic doesn't...

The room itself looked quite nice on the surface, but the stylish bath opening into the bedroom was less appealing when my partner had to get up early for work and I wanted to sleep. The light shines right through the window onto the bed where I was sleeping, meaning my day started much earlier than I would have liked.

Of course, I couldn't sleep all that well to start with as the pillows on the bed were well past their prime and had become quite hard with age and overuse. I think they were once perhaps fluffy poly fiberfill, but that was years ago, and the ones on our bed were lumpy and hard. At a price point that rivaled that of a nice hotel in Paris or London, I was surprised to find such poor quality bedding.

Soundproofing to the exterior was adequate for sleep with earplugs. The hall posed more of a problem, and the close to 2-inch gap between the bottom of our door and the floor did not help with that issue.

Then there's cleanliness, or the lack of it. Hair on the back of the toilet always makes me cringe a bit. I did appreciate that the duvet cover was white sheeting and looks as if it is probably washed between guests - or at least I hope so!

All in all, we'll be staying elsewhere when we next return to Adelaide. I really can't understand why this hotel is rated so highly on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank Meredithonthemove
Reviewed March 19, 2011

First, the cons, of which there were many: no bellman or concierge in evidence on check-in or check-out, very limited hot water in shower (but abundant cold), very hard bed with heated mattress pad that made the bed surface lumpy with its large wires (this perhaps could have been a plus in winter, but it was late summer and quite warm when we stayed), no drinking glasses in room (though I finally found lipstick-marked mug in a drawer), the smallest and lowest window I've ever seen in a hotel, blackout curtains that were hung poorly with missing hooks so that the morning light streamed in through the gaps. Then, despite paying $395 for this small room, reception did not have complimentary toiletries available. If one forgets toothpaste or a toothbrush, be prepared to spend $6 or so for a small replacement from the minibar.

Despite reserving a room for two adults and a child, there was no bed ready for the child and the staff argued with us about what we had reserved (we still had the confirmation confirming our details).

The room was clean (other than the soiled mug), and we appreciated that.

All in all, though, we were quite disappointed. We were paying a rate higher than that of the Shangri-La or Hilton in Sydney, so we expected a commensurate level of quality. If we had payed $150, we would have been fairly content.

Next time we are in Adelaide, we will stay at the Crowne Plaza (which is where we ended up having to walk to get a cab--and the bellman there was much nicer than any staff we encountered at the Majestic).

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Vancouverwanderer17
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Our 'executive' room on the first floor was a good size with a swish marble bathroom boasting a bath and smart shower cubicle. The beds were comfortable and the aircon very efficient (we arrived in a heatwave with temp over 40C). However there was only one chair (at the desk) so to watch the smart flat screen TV, one of us had to sit either on the end of a bed or on a little bench with no back rest.

The in room safe didn't work so we had to put passports & valuables in the safe down in Reception. Also the 'designer' bathroom fittings weren't as successful functionally as aesthetically - the soap dish kept tipping the soap off and the tap on the washbasin was so low you couldn't fill the kettle from it. Also the power sockets were very inconveniently positioned - we had a job to find one where we could plug the kettle in.

The roof garden was disappointing - just a few plants in pots and some whacky metal sculptures. However the location was ideal, close to shops and restaurants. Also the staff were very helpful during our 5 day stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple